Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    I know this is probably a dead end, but with Google updating so often, is there a way to automate certgrabber on a reboot or daily timer? I know most leave webOS running, but I and I'm sure some others switch between webOS and Android (and LuneOS) often enough that an autorun would be useful to make sure the certs are updated.

I know it is just a couple of swipes and 'clicks' but it is the remembering that I have trouble with - it's an age thing!
    Mode Switcher?
    Scheduling is something I've been thinking about. To be honest I've never done anything with scheduled activities on webOS. I wonder if it's possible to have mode switcher send a launch argument to tell the app to initiate the download at launch. Or I could add an option to do that. I've also thought about trying to patch the mail app to launch it if this specific error is encountered.
    On my HP Touchpad, I get the yellow triangle which typically states something like "invalid certificate error", when the existing IMAP certificate is out of date. This appears automatically with no user intervention...so somehow WebOS is automatically generating this warning message. Maybe, just maybe, it might be possible to use this to auto-start the certgrabber ver:0.5.5. This would then auto-update the Touchpad to have the latest IMAP certificate. Maybe it's not possible to do this...just a thought I had. I'm quite sure that grabber5.0 would know if this is even do-able. I'm not a programmer, so I can't say that this idea could even be done.
    On my HP Touchpad, I get the yellow triangle which typically states something like "invalid certificate error", when the existing IMAP certificate is out of date. This appears automatically with no user intervention...so somehow WebOS is automatically generating this warning message. Maybe, just maybe, it might be possible to use this to auto-start the certgrabber ver:0.5.5. This would then auto-update the Touchpad to have the latest IMAP certificate. Maybe it's not possible to do this...just a thought I had. I'm quite sure that grabber5.0 would know if this is even do-able. I'm not a programmer, so I can't say that this idea could even be done.
    Funny that you mention that. I was actually thinking about this myself today! If I remember correctly the email program deals with this. So it should theoretically be possible to auto launch cert grabber, let it pull & install new certs and then trigger a sync for the email account again.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Finding myself in a faulty, overheating vehicle, I once fixed a 4" tear in a radiator pipe with duct tape - enabling me to drive several miles without incident. But once back at base, the pipe was replaced.

The Grabber app is an excellent work around that takes mere seconds to use (just tap the button!), but I'd suggest that when thinking about working to seamlessly integrate it into the email app, perhaps consideration should be given to directing the effort towards fixing the original bug.

Given that the browser has no problem with newer certificates, it seems to have been fairly clearly identified that webOS (v.2 at least) is capable of correctly processing SHA256 and that the problem here is a bug in the email app.

It's not my place to tell anyone what to do. It may be very difficult to fix the original problem and it may be that the work-around is functionally equivalent and does not introduce any security vulnerabilities. My understanding is that currently, certificates are simply accepted rather than being algorithmically checked, so I'd guess there might be a vulnerability to MitM attack, but I'm obviously no expert. As long as we are querying the correct server (it's coded in, not user input now), we can hope that Google is fairly competent to prevent hacking.

So, email that's a bit more risky is better than no email (and no security is perfect), but again, if this much work is going to be done, perhaps a fix is better than a more elaborate work around?

Again, I'm not criticising or telling any one what to do. I'm just grateful for the app. But sometimes the duct tape works so well, the temptation is to add more duct tape...
    horzel likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    First I'll just say this: NO software is bug free.

The 0.5.5 version is solid - provided your cert manager is not broken. I have an alternate script for those users, just figuring out how I want to package it - could make it an option in a single app, or a separate app.

I want to move most of the output to a secondary area to clean up the main scene to just status messages. Like an expandable drawer, or an app menu item like Preware uses. If I expand it to additional certs that are changing to sha-256, the listing will get way too long to throw on the main scene. At that point I will promote it to a 1.0 version, so I can quickly get to 5.0.
    Matt:

My Pre 3 was starting to exhibit strange behavior (no audio, no camera, etc.) so I decided to do a full reset. When I went to setup my email, I tired piecing together the instructions for getting back up and running on gMail from this site, along with recommended imap settings from Google, but can't get past the "requested encryption not supported..." error.

Could you point me to where I can find the best, current setup instructions for gmail on the Pre 3?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I thought Certificate Grabber 0.5.5 might help, but it just hung on first use, possibly because it couldn't find an existing certificate to delete?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Matt:

My Pre 3 was starting to exhibit strange behavior (no audio, no camera, etc.) so I decided to do a full reset. When I went to setup my email, I tired piecing together the instructions for getting back up and running on gMail from this site, along with recommended imap settings from Google, but can't get past the "requested encryption not supported..." error.

Could you point me to where I can find the best, current setup instructions for gmail on the Pre 3?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I thought Certificate Grabber 0.5.5 might help, but it just hung on first use, possibly because it couldn't find an existing certificate to delete?
    Find the link in this thread for the Google OAuth patch from Frantid. You need that to be able to use the normal gmail connector. The only other way is to set it up as generic IMAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    Even though I hinted at some kind of all inclusive automated update system, I have to say the I'm perfectly happy with grabber 0.5.5 just as it is. Very easy to use and works perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Matt:

Thanks in advance!

I can confirm that when there is no cert found to delete, app still installs new. Although it may need a restart.

I had a first attempt stall after completing the delete of old certs. I restarted and it recognized (and reported) lack of existing, then installed new successfully.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Find the link in this thread for the Google OAuth patch from Frantid. You need that to be able to use the normal gmail connector. The only other way is to set it up as generic IMAP.
    I downloaded and tried to install Frantid's OAuth patch using WOSQI and got an error message that looks like I already have it installed, despite the Full Erase. Tried setting up the normal gmail connector but get a "bad request" error message on the set up page. I set it up as IMAP using the Google Support site for recommended settings (under "other" operating System) as follows:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL
    imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    Requires SSL:Yes
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS
    smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465 or 587
    Requires SSL: Yes
    Requires authentication: Yes
    Use same settings as incoming mail server
    Full Name or Display Name: [your name]
    Account Name or User Name: your full Gmail address (username@gmail.com). Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Email address: your full Gmail address (username@gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Password: your Gmail password

I now have gmail but not contacts or calendar. I had already turned off calendar due to excessive syncing. Guess I will have to read more here to see if I can add either of these back.

BTW, Certificate Grabber worked this evening and I now have both the imap and smtp certs.

Thanks for your help Matt!
    Basel2015 likes this.
    Full erase does not remove patches, and just makes a mess when you have patches installed. If the ausmt cleanup scripts won't remove them, you'll have to doctor.
    petbull and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I can confirm that when there is no cert found to delete, app still installs new. Although it may need a restart.

I had a first attempt stall after completing the delete of old certs. I restarted and it recognized (and reported) lack of existing, then installed new successfully.
    There is always the potential for unexpected errors that aren't handled because they were not anticipated. No restarts should ever be necessary when trusting certs before they work. If there is anything in the app logs, please send it to me.
    I'm wondering if all devices running on WebOS are using the same identical IMAP email app, or are there variations that would be device specific?
    I'm wondering if all devices running on WebOS are using the same identical IMAP email app, or are there variations that would be device specific?
    I haven't seen customizations in it for different carriers. There is a difference for 1.x, 2.x and 3.x though. I haven't checked the code to see how much of a difference though.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Jeff Marshall7 likes this.
    UPDATE: Latest Google IMAP cert appeared early this AM. Valid dates...10/16/2015 to 1/12/2016. Their previous cert was active for only 7 days. Looks like this frequent updating will be the new way that Google is running the certs. Malicious hacking seems to be the wave of the future.
    I had an interesting experience this time around. Got the first triangle on Tuesday and updates to the 12th. The next morning I had the triangle again and it updated back to the 4th. It seemed to go back and forth several times yesterday before settling in for the certificate ending the 12th. Of course, I was roaming in Canada, eh?
    Help, please. Where is possible to download new certificates after change "manually"? The previous certificates I must install manually.

My certificate manager is broken, Grabber certificate 0.5.5 say: "Unable to get installed certificate list"

Thank you very much.

(HP Pre 3, WebOS 2.2.4)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Yes, 1.4.5. I will try it out tomorrow. Didn't get a chance today.

From what I remember while working on Yahoo email problems back in April/May timeframe, SHA2 is not enabled in the installed version of openssl in Palm Pre 1.4.5. And that is why I think things are not working...even if you manage to trust the certificates.

How can we update openssl in palm pre to support SHA2?
    I may have missed it, but has anyone worked out a solution to update the certs on a Pixi running 1.4.5?

Thanks,
    Arlen
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bucek View Post
    Help, please. Where is possible to download new certificates after change "manually"? The previous certificates I must install manually.

My certificate manager is broken, Grabber certificate 0.5.5 say: "Unable to get installed certificate list"

Thank you very much.

(HP Pre 3, WebOS 2.2.4)
    Check the service pack link below. There's a manual method, a script and the app (that isn't working for you). All you need is on this thread, but I linked to the specific posts in that summary.

If you're very lucky, the mighty Grabber5.0 himself may very well help you fix the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by arlenm View Post
    I may have missed it, but has anyone worked out a solution to update the certs on a Pixi running 1.4.5?

Thanks,
    Arlen
    Not as yet, but...

The early work here: OpenSSL-Updater - Fixing Certificate Issues (which seems to function, but needs work to ensure smooth installation), may also be adaptable to webOS 1.x devices.

Your best bet is to follow developments & hope. It might just be a total solution for all devices.