Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    OK. I can see you're still having trouble with this. Here is briefly what I did to update Preware onto my Touchpad'

1. I put the Touchpad into Developer Mode...type webos20090606 in the search bar. Press enter.
    1a. A menu should appear for Developer Mode, with a switch at upper right corner. Place the switch in the ON
    position. Do NOT create or set a password. close out the menu.
    2. I connected the HP Touchpad to my laptop PC via the USB cable interface.
    2a. Do NOT go into USB mode or cancel,...just leace the screen as it is, and click SUBMIT.
    3. On my laptop, I located "WebOSQuickinstall-4.6.0.
    4. I double click it to open it,
    5. A new screen opens...tap on the "Globe Icon".
    6. A new menu will appear....select the "Applications" tab
    7. Scroll down to PREWARE, or type PREWARE into the search bar.
    8. When Preware appears, tap Install.
    9. Open Preware to make sure it is version 1.9.14
    10. If step 9 is OK, then turn off developer mode...type webos20090606 and turn switch to OFF.
    11. Eject the HP Touchpad (typically drive E or F in Windows folder view.
    12 Disconnect the USB cable.

That's it...you should have the latest version of Preware.

Hope this works for you.
    Jeff,

Thank you for helping. I followed your instruction, but this is what I got, can't find preware.

I am going to uninstall the WOSQ ( since I downloaded it yesterday from the Preware.org page ) and try to reinstall WOSQ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcmandell View Post
    Jeff,

Thank you for helping. I followed your instruction, but this is what I got, can't find preware.

I am going to uninstall the WOSQ ( since I downloaded it yesterday from the Preware.org page ) and try to reinstall WOSQ.
    If you already have it installed, it will be on the updates tab at the bottom. I just confirmed this against the emulator, which has an older version of Preware installed - it does not show on the available packages tab, only on the updates tab. Note, there is no "installing" of WOSQI.. it's just a file that's downloaded, and you run it from wherever you save it.
    Jeff,

Yes, right above the box with the listings there is a search bar with a magnifying glass.
    Type Preware there and then at the bottom click updates.
    I think this should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    Yes, right above the box with the listings there is a search bar with a magnifying glass.
    Type Preware there and then at the bottom click enter.
    Check her first screen shot - she did do that. I believe she just needs to switch to the updates tab at the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Check her first screen shot - she did do that. I believe she just needs to switch to the updates tab at the bottom.
    Yes, that seems right. I can't remember all the steps I did, but that seem right.
    Jeff,

OK. If you have WOSQI version 4.6.0, then it will be current with the correct link to the feed. Try Grabber5.0's advice to check the updates tab. Remember, if you find a Preware update there, your webOS device will need to be in developer mode to install it. NOT USB mode. (type the code, tap the app icon and move the switch to on - ignore the password stuff)

Regarding the Chinese characters, you mention Chrome and various virus checkers - these don't run on webOS, so you are talking about a PC/Laptop and I'll guess it's running a version of Windows. webOS is a Linux-based system and the link (here it is again: http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-internals/armv7/org.webosinternals.preware_1.9.14_arm.ipk ) is to an Install PacKage (IPK) for Linux. My guess is that when you attempt to open this file on a Windows system via Chrome, possibly it opens a text editor like NotePad and substitutes Chinese characters in an attempt to display code intended for a completely different system. You do not need to open this file on a Windows system.

(EDIT) I just tried to open the IPK on a windows system via Firefox - no associated program, so I went for NotePad. The file displays as a load of squares (non-printable characters) and the occasional icon from wingdings.

If there's nothing in the updates tab of your WOSQI, I suggest that option three in the tip article is the easiest. Ensure you have a good connection to the internet, open Preware on your webOS device, swipe down the app menu and tap, "Install Package". Type the link to the IPK in the box and tap, "Install".

If that fails for some reason, then get on your PC and download the IPK (when asked, save the file to the desktop, don't try to open it). When it's done, plug in the webOS device and put it in USB mode. Open the device on your PC and drag the downloaded file from the desktop to the USB partition on the webOS device. Eject properly when completed and again open the Preware app on the device. Do the install package thing again, but this time, tap the browse button instead of typing the URL. It should open the USB folder and you can scroll down to find the IPK file. Tap that, then tap, "Install". You may need to do a "luna" or full restart after install, but then you should have access to the new stuff and installation and updates will be easy.

You may wish to then read this article: https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/ and the links below in my signature to update your webOS knowledge and fix a few other problems.

Report back if you still have problems.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/20/2015 at 09:20 PM.
    Pree, Grabber and Jeff,

Really appreciate all you help.

I believed I encounter the similar problem as this post :Trying to get internalz pro .ipk files. I spend 4 days researching on Google trying to self help solving my Prewear problem. When i somehow ended up in Picture 1, that is when all the problem begin, just like her post, it doesn't open any link of Preware but showing Ads only. You can also see when I clicked on any of the Default Feeds from the Yellow bracket, the Browser flashes from picture 1, WWW. webos-internals.org/wiki/Application to picture 2, as WW2Preware.org to WW8 Preware.org, depend on which Feed i click.

After you have directed me to Preware.net instead of .ORG, this is what I get: Picture 3, when I click on any of these, it takes me to ad display, as Picture 4 and noticed the change of browser. As are the pictures on my post #680. Looked at the Bottom Left corner of those 2 pictures, you can see the quick changes.

Clearly, I have inadvertently click on something from Webos-Internals/applicationPreware that prevents me to get to any HTTP Preware.net links unless it is HTTPS. Secondly, when I click on the IPK you provided , it opens with Notepad in Chinese and the reason I got suspicious was it was "DIRTY" writing as if used in trashy novel. That is the reason I am reluctant to save it on file and drag over to my Touchpad.

I wonder how many people got the same .org problem from doing Google search, since it is often listed.

Thank you all once again for the help. Now I just hope this .ORG bad click is not going to corrupt my whole system.

Lisa
    Screens 1 and 3 are the legit sites. I can see in the wiki from screen 1 that the links go to the old preware.org site, so I can see how you got there the first time, but the links on preware.net are all valid, so I am not sure how you ended up back at preware.org. You should have ended up here: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/armv7/ and if you search for "preware_1.9.14" on that page, it should take you to the link for the IPK.. but since you have already tried to download that from the links posted, here, if you want to just pm me your email address, I'd be happy to email the ipk to you.

I definitely recommend scanning for viruses and malware.. never hurts. Your browser is acting suspicious enough that I'd do it.
    Hi Lisa,

I definitely concur with Grabber about getting a good malware/virus program installed on your computer and run it.
    Something very strange is going on, and in fact it might not even be related to WebOS. I'm not sure if I am allowed to suggest this, but I would get a copy of "Malwarebytes" and install it. Trust me, it really works and is excellent...you can never be too safe.

Edit: It looks like you may have been infected by a type of maleware known as Adaware or something similar. You mentioned all the ads popping up on your screen...that is the tip off. This virus corrupts your hard drive and the registry too. It will also install a whole family of unwanted programs that you cannot get rid of. You have to get rid of this with professional help...you can't do it on your own.
    Last edited by Jeff Marshall7; 09/21/2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: EDIT
    The original domain of preware.org was taken when the domain was not renewed in time. It is a common practice to populate unused domains with ads relevant to people searching for similar sites. If you haven't clicked anything from there, you are probably OK (You say your virus checker can't find anything).

You do not need to find a website or do any searches. All you have to do is copy this: ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-internals/armv7/org.webosinternals.preware_1.9.14_arm.ipk and paste it into the preware app's install box or the address bar of your PC browser as described. The first option should install the app directly on your device - job done.

The second option should get you a dialog box asking if you want to open or save the file - select save. Then you can copy the file to your Touchpad & again install with your existing old version of Preware as previously described or use WOSQI - whatever you prefer or feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/22/2015 at 12:01 AM.
    Hey Guys check this out fake certs arw out for google

Symantec employees fired for issuing rogue HTTPS certificate for Google | Ars Technica

john
    Interesting. If you can't trust the companies issuing the certificates, who can you trust? In this case it doesn't sound like anything went into the wild, but then, I would think there must be more to it than the story says, for them to be fired over it.

@Misj' I have a script almost ready for you to test.
    I think it's time to move the conversation about trying to update Preware into its own thread.. It's taking too much space in this thread and really isn't related at all.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I think it's time to move the conversation about trying to update Preware into its own thread.. It's taking too much space in this thread and really isn't related at all.
    After family and health-related issues I am back and hopeful of getting my Touchpad back online. The solutions offered here (for the gmail problem) have worked perfectly for my Verizon Pre 2 (but I really need the TuneIn Radio app on the Pre2...help!).

But my Touchpad is a no-go...can someone point me to the exact post # in this thread that applies to my Touchpad? Thanks...
    I'm not sure there is a post that addresses the problem on your Touchpad. I remember it appeared it was not installing the service correctly. Please post the contents of /media/internal/basiccertgrabber.log or send it to me.
    I'm not sure there is a post that addresses the problem on your Touchpad. I remember it appeared it was not installing the service correctly. Please post the contents of /media/internal/basiccertgrabber.log or send it to me.
    I believe there is an attachment that consists of an image of the certgrabber log.

Thanks for your tireless effort(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    I believe there is an attachment that consists of an image of the certgrabber log.

Thanks for your tireless effort(s).

That looks like it didn't have problems during the post-install script. Though it doesn't prove the service works, I'd think it installed okay. This was from the install that doesn't work?
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/23/2015 at 10:49 PM.
    I don't want to clutter this thread too much.

To review:

...my wifi-only Pre2 reads and sends gmail correctly (thanks to your work).

...my Touchpad worked for a day or two (worked defined as reading/sending gmail, again, thanks to your work) and then reverted back to the yellow triangle.

I wonder if the following is useful: what happens when I load Preware is in the attached image.

I believe this started when, at someone's urging...I updated my Preware.

Preware seems to work after this message goes away...(click OK).
    It does seem like a good candidate for a new thread. That is a peculiar error message.. I suspect removing and reinstalling Preware using WOSQI might fix it, unless it was caused by a deeper problem in the OS.
    The multiple email alerts might point to a deeper problem, no?