Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    I have tried all of these steps to resolve my Touchpad's mail problems but haven't gotten anywhere...everything works as described (except the file that gets downloaded on my computer is "grabcerts.sh.txt"...so I just chop off the .txt) but then at Step 14. there are no new certifications.

I think the problem is related to my general unawareness of many things that experts here know 'by heart'.

I cannot find the ' /media/internal file '.

In my hands, following the wonderfully explicit instructions results in the installation of the two .pem files (googleimpa.pem and googlesmtp.pem) into a folder on my Touchpad called ' sslcerts' ...which resides on what I would call the 'desktop' ? of the Touchpad...the list of files that shows up when I click on the Touchpad's icon in Internet Explorer.

So have I done everything right but not put the two .pem files into a place that step 14. above can find them?

Thanks. A lot (no sarcasm intended). For all the work all of you have done over the years. WebOS still rules (sort of). I cannot believe the mess iOS is...

PS: I held out with my original month-of-launch Sprint Pre until about 18 months ago. I still miss it. My phone signature says 'No longer sent with my Palm Pre'.
    The /media/internal/ folder is the folder that you see when you connect your device in Windows and see it as a drive.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    That "desktop" IS /media/internal. What you might see as the E: drive on your PC ( if that's the only external drive connected at that time.)

If it's saving as a text file, be sure to change to type ALL FILES first.

Go back over my step by step. Also remember you don't have to locate the certs. The manager will find them. You can do this!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    This is working well for me and I'm now trying to update my husband's gmail. Thanks to all who are so attentive. I do have a question: the certs pulled expire Nov. of 2015. Will this just keep pulling new certs automatically or do I have to rerun grabcerts after or even before the expiration? I assume either way, I have to trust any new certs.

Is that correct? thanks for helping me not have to buy an ipad!
    Ok, I hope this isn't out of place, but i linked into this thread at grabber302's post below looking for a solution for the same Gmail issue on my pixi running 1.4.5. I haven't received emails since 7/29/15. Although i can get there via the web browser, it's cumbersome and doesn't contain all the email info.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    After wasting time and making no progress on this all week, I finally got gmail working again on my devices, and I'm embarrassed I didn't try it sooner. I have been talking to Alan all day and at some point during the discussion I realized that my Yahoo account was only working on devices where I had installed those new certs. Oh, this isn't the Yahoo thread? Right.. so Alan needed those and I re-captured them using the tip from the 'Fixing Yahoo sync' PivotCE article, and decided to see what happened if I captured the gmail certs the same way. So I captured them, saved them to three pem files, and copied them to my Pre2, opened each one in Internalz and trusted it. Then I went back to the email app and refreshed my gmail account and all of my email came in! These have also been installed successfully on a Pre3, Veer, Touchpad Go, and Touchpad.

I've attached a zip file containing the three pem files with the updated certificates. Unzip, copy to device over usb (or just unzip there using wterm) and then navigate to the folder you copied them to and trust the certs. Or, you can open the certificate manager from the device info app's app menu, and hit the + button, and select the .pem files one at a time to display and tap the trust button.
    I immediately tried the "Fix", but to no avail as would now be expected after reading following posts below.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Still need a solution for importing the certs to 1.x. I suggested building a simple website with the certs embedded to require accepting them upon browsing to the site. Beyond my knowhow though. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I assume your Pre has 1.4.5 on it. If so, it probably won't work. I've only tried a Pixi, but it did not work.
    I have subscribed to this thread, but does anyone have any updates on fixing 1.4.5 or comments on the future of?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    That "desktop" IS /media/internal. What you might see as the E: drive on your PC ( if that's the only external drive connected at that time.)

If it's saving as a text file, be sure to change to type ALL FILES first.

Go back over my step by step. Also remember you don't have to locate the certs. The manager will find them. You can do this!
    I have followed everything step-by-step but will try again now.

In the meantime I don't understand something.

When I right-click on the grabcerts link and save as 'all files' , I download a text file (grabcerts.sh.txt). When I open this text file (just to see what's inside) here is its contents:

=====
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ $# -gt 0 ]
    then
    set -x
    fi

#Note, logger can accept priority, which descends in priority from 0-?
    #0=emerg 1=alert 2=crit 3=err 4=? (not logged)
    #logger -t matt -p User.Err "Red alert!"
    #User.Notice and User.Warn are not being logged however..

log() {
    logger -p 1 ">>replacecerts.sh: " $1
    }

export OUTDIR=/media/internal/sslcerts
    if [ ! -d $OUTDIR ]
    then
    mkdir $OUTDIR
    RC=$?
    if [ $RC -eq 0 ]
    then
    echo Output directory created
    else
    OUTDIR=/media/internal
    echo Unable to create output directory. Downloading certs to $OUTDIR
    fi
    else
    log "Output directory already exists."
    fi

#Just retrieves individual certs.. for full chain, use -showcerts option
    #openssl s_client -showcerts -connect smtp.gmail.com:465
    for CERT in \
    imap.gmail.com:993
    do
    echo |\
    openssl s_client -connect ${CERT} 2>$OUTDIR/openssl.out |\
    sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > $OUTDIR/googleimap.pem
    grep DONE $OUTDIR/openssl.out
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo There was a problem downloading the certificate. See $OUTDIR/openssl.out for messages.
    echo Contents of $OUTDIR/openssl.out:
    cat $OUTDIR/openssl.out
    exit 1
    fi
    mv $OUTDIR/openssl.out $OUTDIR/openssl.out.1
    done

for CERT in \
    smtp.gmail.com:465
    do
    echo |\
    sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > $OUTDIR/googlesmtp.pem
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo There was a problem downloading the certificate. See $OUTDIR/openssl.out for messages.
    cat $OUTDIR/openssl.out
    exit 1
    fi
    done

echo New certificates should be created in $OUTDIR. If they are not valid, check contents of $OUTDIR/openssl.out

=====

Is this correct?

...off for more testing.

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basel2015 View Post
    This is working well for me and I'm now trying to update my husband's gmail. Thanks to all who are so attentive. I do have a question: the certs pulled expire Nov. of 2015. Will this just keep pulling new certs automatically or do I have to rerun grabcerts after or even before the expiration? I assume either way, I have to trust any new certs.

I'm not sure if new certs are "grabbed" automatically, but any new cert that is downloaded to your device will have to be trusted by you. In the Touchpad, the Certificate Manger will show any new certs that have been installed. You then have to select each cert and the trust it. Hope this helps.
    All this talk about certificates has been for me, educational and enlightening. I can now see that the certificates are an integral part of the IMAP SSL concept. The certificates are telling my client device when it is receiving messages in gmail, that it is in fact connected to a Google gmail server, and not some bogus imposter that looks like a gmail server, but is not. The fine details of this are very complicated, but the basic concept is understandable.
    It is not automatic. The script has to be (for now) run every time Google updates their certificates, and each time, the new .pem files have to be trusted using the certificate manager (btw the app info.json for cert manager can be modified to show the icon in the launcher, eliminating the need to open it via device info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basel2015 View Post

This script is not automatic. You ran it manually when you typed "./grabcerts.sh" and it pulled IMAP and smtp certs.

You will need to run it again when: A) certs expire B) new certs are issued and these are made invalid by Google. You'll know when the yellow triangles return.

Grabber5.0 was one forum contributor who suggested he was working on making something automatic, but so far no one has posted a "magic" app or patch. Stay tuned of course.

Glad to hear you're able to maintain your gmail connectivity. Im happy about mine too.

EDIT: oh sorry didn't know he was in here too! (Thx again Matt)
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/30/2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Yeah, I still plan to work on that, just have had a lot going on at work and at home (stuff always seems to break around the house when I'm too busy with work to fix them right away..) The first thing I plan to do is package up the script like I did the globalsign update script, except my notes on how I finally got it to work in Preware are not very good. SMH I wish I took better notes, because it was a pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    I have followed everything step-by-step but will try again now.

In the meantime I don't understand something.

When I right-click on the grabcerts link and save as 'all files' , I download a text file (grabcerts.sh.txt). When I open this text file (just to see what's inside) here is its contents:

=====
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ $# -gt 0 ]
    then
    set -x
    fi

#Note, logger can accept priority, which descends in priority from 0-?
    #0=emerg 1=alert 2=crit 3=err 4=? (not logged)
    #logger -t matt -p User.Err "Red alert!"
    #User.Notice and User.Warn are not being logged however..

log() {
    logger -p 1 ">>replacecerts.sh: " $1
    }

export OUTDIR=/media/internal/sslcerts
    if [ ! -d $OUTDIR ]
    then
    mkdir $OUTDIR
    RC=$?
    if [ $RC -eq 0 ]
    then
    echo Output directory created
    else
    OUTDIR=/media/internal
    echo Unable to create output directory. Downloading certs to $OUTDIR
    fi
    else
    log "Output directory already exists."
    fi

#Just retrieves individual certs.. for full chain, use -showcerts option
    #openssl s_client -showcerts -connect smtp.gmail.com:465
    for CERT in \
    imap.gmail.com:993
    do
    echo |\
    sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > $OUTDIR/googleimap.pem
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    cat $OUTDIR/openssl.out
    exit 1
    fi
    mv $OUTDIR/openssl.out $OUTDIR/openssl.out.1
    done

for CERT in \
    smtp.gmail.com:465
    do
    echo |\
    sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > $OUTDIR/googlesmtp.pem
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    cat $OUTDIR/openssl.out
    exit 1
    fi
    done

echo New certificates should be created in $OUTDIR. If they are not valid, check contents of $OUTDIR/openssl.out

=====

Is this correct?

...off for more testing.

Thanks again.
    Yes, that's the file. You will rename the file with InternalzPro on device, to eliminate the .txt and have it recognized as a shell file, not a text file. This is step #3 in my instructions here:
    google error: requested encryption not supported by server

(* if you are not familiar with that app, download it in Preware, and go read the support page for a little background info. InternalzPro is a file explorer for webOS. I'm not certain if master mode must be enabled in Prefs of InternalzPro, because i always leave mine in that mode. If it doesn't give you the ability to rename {by selecting Info then simply deleting the .txt extension}, then it must be required. )

"...good luck, we're all counting on you."
    -- Dr. Rumack
    Master mode lets you modify files anywhere on the device, including ones you shouldn't modify.
    (so it's not required? that's good info.)

ALSO, just in case, confirm the grabcerts.sh file (even the .txt version) is 496 BYTES. NOT over 500b. i just did a little test myself, with a grabcerts.sh file that on the PC showed it was over 500b. THIS file would not run on the TPad. it gave an error "illegal option - /bin/sh" - must have corrupted in download somehow.

but i just confirmed that downloading the text file to pc, moving to device via usb, removing .txt with InternalzPro, and executing the commands with wterm on device, works. i just updated my Tpad, which had been using only the google pem files up til now.

i'm sorry idk how to download from this forum directly to device. may not be possible.

EDIT: BYTES NOT KBYTES! D'oh!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/31/2015 at 02:07 PM.
    The problem comes when the file is saved with Windows line-endings - the increased size is the tip-off, as it adds an extra character to every newline. (LF vs CR+LF) Basic editors on Windows don't have the ability to write Unix line-endings. Even the default setting in Internalz text editor is Windows instead of Unix, which I recommend changing if you ever plan to edit text files on-device.

You can't download forum attachments directly on webOS devices, but you can download then file from my website directly just by tapping the link. In Forums it will pop up and error message before displaying the file, but it works nonetheless, and saves to /media/internal/downloads.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/30/2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Hmmmmm.....this is strange. I downloaded grabcerts.sh onto my windows 7 laptop, and if I right click the file and click "properties" on the drop down menu, it shows the size of the file is 1.74 kb. This is much smaller than 496 kb.
    I haven't tried running grabcerts on my Touchpad yet...I first have to install the latest version of Preware and then WTERM. I've been busy with a lot of things with the house and property, so I haven't had the time recently to devote to installing or running grabcerts. So I'm not sure my downloaded copy will work (only 1.74kb).
    On a typical NTFS Windows system, a file that is 1.74 KB takes up 4KB on the disc which is 4,096 bytes.

Methinks the 496kb that was referred to in an earlier post was a typo.
    Oh, I didn't even notice the disparity in those numbers. Whoops. Nice catch. Yes the file is 1.7kb, or more specifically, 1744 bytes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Oops sorry!!

Yes the grabcerts.sh file is reported as 496b by Internalz!

(I had two on my pc for a moment, one with a txt icon (lined paper) and one a blank paper icon. The blank was larger and would not run with wterm). Move the lined paper file to the phone then rename with internalz.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Hello. I just finished making the necessary files and is working in my pre2 and touchpad. I made a copy if anyone serve . one need only download and decompress the -zip on your pc ,
    2 pass the file name sslcerts USB device ,
    3 intenalz done to look for and open and trust certificates .
    thanks for this great work. webos forever.
    BIG THANKS!!!
    I have been spending my evening trying to get my gmail account to sync, and when it didn't work, I deleted my account to start all over....I shouldn't have done that.
    Suddenly I couldn't add the Gmail account again no matter what I did. I then found and installed the new certs you posted, and now everything works on my TP.
    Thank you so much!

Martin :-)