Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 923
Like Tree236Likes
  1. #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    What is WOSQI ?
    What is novaterm window ?

    I've seen these mentioned before, but I don't know what they are or how they work.
    Do they run on a PC, or on a Touchpad...or both?
    What are they used for?
    You are still using webOS, but not webOS Quick Install? How are you surviving?

    Java is a system for running a single program across multiple platforms (e.g MAC, Windows, Linux etc) The idea is "Write once, run anywhere".

    WOSQI is a java program written by Jason Robitaille that runs on your computer and enables you to install apps & patches to your webOS device over the USB cable. It also has some other features such as allowing command line access to your device. It allows you to install Preware, which is an on-device app installer. Preware allows direct access to the app gallery on this site, apps and utilities from webOS Internals and the weblinked apps at pivotCE.

    The command line is a simple but powerful means to interact with computer devices.

    Outside of USB mode connection, to connect to your device over USB, you need drivers installed on your computer. These are called Novacom drivers. Access is possible using a Novaterm (or nova terminal). A terminal is the name for the machinery (basically, screen, keyboard & connection device) used to remotely connect to a mainframe computer (from the days when a computer would fill a room and workers in various offices would connect to it). A terminal is also the name for a program that connects your computer to another to run commands on the remote system. There is an app in Preware called wTerm (webOS Terminal) that allows command line access on the device itself.

    Here is Brent Hunter's excellent article on setting up WOSQI and other useful things.

    Follow the links in this forum post for more information. It's very unusual for a device like a mobile phone or tablet to be this accessible and modifiable. That and the skills of the homebrew developers is why webOS is still usable now it has been effectively abandoned by it's creators.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/21/2015 at 11:13 AM.
    petbull likes this.
  2. #402  
    Jeff, refer back to this one.

    google error: requested encryption not supported by server

    I clarified a little more. This works directly on device, even without WOSQI.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/21/2015 at 01:50 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  3. #403  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh View Post
    copying modified script "grabcertxxx.sh" into /media/internal/downloads/certs/
    then doing a cd there with wterm on the phone
    and then typing "./grabcertxxx.sh" didn't do much except an error message "illegal option -"
    I guess the way I'm typing this is not good

    Yup, I got the same thing on my TP.

    I created the script in Notepad++ and it looks ok.

    I then used WebOS QuickInstall to "send" the file to the TP.
    But running it gives me the error you see.
  4. #404  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Marshall7 View Post
    In response to kward46 in his post #377. I too have had this problem occur. What I found was that you have to be very careful when copying the new cert that has been posted. First, I select everything contained inside the window
    that shows the cert. Everything in the window should now be high-lighted in blue...indicating that it is selected.
    Next, copy the selected material to a computer by using the NOTEPAD text editor. Do not use Wordpad. Notepad allows you to save the copied filed as a *.*all files extension, which you can then rename to the ,pem extension.

    If you do not do this, Notepad will save the file with a .txt extension and the Touchpad cannot handle it correctly.
    The file needs to have the .pem extension in order for it to work as a certificate in gmail imap ssl.
    Hope this helps.
    That was exactly my problem - not careful enough copying and I have to use Notepad. Not a good time to try something different!
  5. rlh
    rlh is offline
    rlh's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post
    Yup, I got the same thing on my TP.

    I created the script in Notepad++ and it looks ok.

    I then used WebOS QuickInstall to "send" the file to the TP.
    But running it gives me the error you see.
    Interesting, I also used Notepad++, maybe we should use something more basic ?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6. #406  
    I have had the yellow triangle for 3 days now. Latest cert just jot working for me.

    Do I need to do something different to previously ?
  7. #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Jeff, refer back to this one.

    google error: requested encryption not supported by server

    I clarified a little more. This works directly on device, even without WOSQI.
    I wish I could understand what all this means. I have read so many posts but my
    only successful method is by copying the certificate.

    Jeff, let me know if you are successful in the above method.

    otherwise I think the TP will have to have a different OS on it.

    I'm hoping there are some guides on how to do that?
  8. #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kitch View Post
    I wish I could understand what all this means. I have read so many posts but my
    only successful method is by copying the certificate.
    Here is a guide article for the same issue on Yahoo:
    https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

    Hopefully, it explains the situation a bit. In addition to the method there, methods using WOSQI, on device with wTerm & somewhat automated with Grabber5.0's script have been posted on this thread. They all do basically the same thing, which is to retrieve the certificate data. The certificates you are downloading will have been obtained by one of these methods. webOS has been effectively unsupported since 2012 & a certain amount of user effort is needed to keep it updated. It's interesting to note that the Yahoo fix has not needed repeating as yet. The consensus seems to be that Google is overreacting with these frequent changes. Maybe they are or maybe everyone else is being complacent, I don't know.
  9. #409  
    ok, i know how frustrating it is when you feel you don't have the "know-how" to do this DIY stuff. So i broke out my laptop so i can type better and lay this out for you step by step. here goes.

    From post #343 in this thread, there's the link to Grabber's script. it's right here:
    http://www.fordmaverick.com/GrabberS...abcerts.sh.txt

    1. ON A PC, right click that link and choose SAVE LINK AS...

    2. in the Save As dialog box, confirm the file name shown is exactly "grabcerts.sh" and CHANGE THE FILE TYPE to ALL FILES (not the MScsv default)

    3. CONNECT your device to PC via USB LINK ONLY. (no need for WOSQI here)

    4. USE PC TO TRANSFER THE FILE grabcerts.sh to your device (usually shown as an E: drive) this will put it into your device's /media/internal file (the default location)

    5. EJECT the E: drive to disconnect USB link

    6. ON YOUR DEVICE, you MUST have Preware installed. (if not, you will need to put WOSQI and Novaterm drivers on your PC, so you can use them to install Preware. Search this forum for how to install WOSQI v4.6.0)

    7. USE PREWARE to OTA install the app WTERM.

    8. Open WTERM. You'll see a command line window. it should read "wterm@YOUR PHONE'S NAME:-$"

    9. Type the command "cd /media/internal" and enter.(notice the space after "cd"!!)(no quote marks) it should now show "wterm@YOUR PHONE's NAME:/media/internal$" (**remember to HOLD the shift key while typing periods and slashes)

    10. Type the command "./grabcerts.sh" (no quotes)

    11. you should see a blurb showing it's connecting to open ssl clients IMAP and SMTP. it is downloading the most current certs!

    12. Close out of WTERM.

    13. ON YOUR DEVICE, open Device Info app.

    14. Open Preferences, select Cert Mgr, click the icon for adding a new cert. You should see two, "googleimap and "googlesmtp, .pem" with the most recent date. (i just did this and see it's dated 8/22, which would be like cert #7!)

    15. Click each .pem file and trust them. Done!


    If you have any problems, specify what step # you're hung up on so someone can help further.

    good luck!!!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/22/2015 at 10:43 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  10. #410  
    Great instructions write-up TJ.
  11. #411  
    once i "get it", i'm good at outlining and including the most basic language with nothing "understood" like how to execute a command. for example, until i googled it, i didn't know either, i tried the word "run" like i'm using BASIC from 1984! haha!

    but hey man, i couldn't offer any guidance without the real work being done by YOU. thanks SO MUCH for that!

    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  12. rlh
    rlh is offline
    rlh's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    #412  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    ok, i know how frustrating it is when you feel you don't have the "know-how" to do this DIY stuff. So i broke out my laptop so i can type better and lay this out for you step by step. here goes.

    From post #343 in this thread, there's the link to Grabber's script. it's right here:
    http://www.fordmaverick.com/GrabberS...abcerts.sh.txt

    1. ON A PC, right click that link and choose SAVE LINK AS...

    2. in the Save As dialog box, confirm the file name shown is exactly "grabcerts.sh" and CHANGE THE FILE TYPE to ALL FILES (not the MScsv default)

    3. CONNECT your device to PC via USB LINK ONLY. (no need for WOSQI here)

    4. USE PC TO TRANSFER THE FILE grabcerts.sh to your device (usually shown as an E: drive) this will put it into your device's /media/internal file (the default location)

    5. EJECT the E: drive to disconnect USB link

    6. ON YOUR DEVICE, you MUST have Preware installed. (if not, you will need to put WOSQI and Novaterm drivers on your PC, so you can use them to install Preware. Search this forum for how to install WOSQI v4.6.0)

    7. USE PREWARE to OTA install the app WTERM.

    8. Open WTERM. You'll see a command line window. it should read "wterm@YOUR PHONE'S NAME:-$"

    9. Type the command "cd /media/internal" and enter.(notice the space after "cd"!!)(no quote marks) it should now show "wterm@YOUR PHONE's NAME:/media/internal$" (**remember to HOLD the shift key while typing periods and slashes)

    10. Type the command "./grabcerts.sh" (no quotes)

    11. you should see a blurb showing it's connecting to open ssl clients IMAP and SMTP. it is downloading the most current certs!

    12. Close out of WTERM.

    13. ON YOUR DEVICE, open Device Info app.

    14. Open Preferences, select Cert Mgr, click the icon for adding a new cert. You should see two, "googleimap and "googlesmtp, .pem" with the most recent date. (i just did this and see it's dated 8/22, which would be like cert #7!)

    15. Click each .pem file and trust them. Done!


    If you have any problems, specify what step # you're hung up on so someone can help further.

    good luck!!!
    Will try it your way (saving the script instead of copy/pasting) thank you.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Basel2015 likes this.
  13. #413  
    All: I updated the script to always create the new certs in /media/internal/sslcerts, creating that directory if it does not exist already. I also noticed that the file I uploaded to my website had windows line endings, which could be causing some of the issues I've seen. When the script is done running, it displays a message saying where the certs should be found, and a file to check if they are not valid. This was prompted by what happened when I ran the script while in airplane mode - empty cert files. I need to do a little more work on error checking, as the command sequence used to download the certs always results in a good exit code, regardless of whether or not it succeeds. I don't think that will take long, I just wanted to get something a bit more user-friendly out there. As with gizmo's mod, you can use Internalz (or possibly WOSQI) to copy/move the script to /usr/bin so it is automatically in the path and you can just run the command from your command history in wterm without worrying about where it is. Alternately, you can just execute it using the full path in wterm, which achieves the same result. If you download it to your device from Forums, or the browser, it will go to /media/internal/downloads by default, so the command would be:
    Code:
    /media/internal/downloads/grabcerts.sh
    Preemptive likes this.
  14. #414  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh View Post
    Will try it your way (saving the script instead of copy/pasting) thank you.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    It is definitely more reliable to download the file directly without it ever hitting a file editor - especially on Windows machines. If you download it by tapping the link in Forums and then 'Open link', it will save it to /media/internal/downloads automatically, so close whatever editor it might pop up in without saving it, then just rename it.
  15. #415  
    do my instructions still work with this change? should i update a step?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  16. #416  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    do my instructions still work with this change? should i update a step?
    Yes, they are still valid, since you didn't say anything about where the generated cert files would be. I wouldn't do that to you.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  17. #417  
    Just a quick note here...special thanks to Grabber5.0, Preemptive, and TJs11thPre, for all their help with me trying to get all this together. There are others here too who have also been most helpful...my thanks are extended to all.

    To all the newer guys here, (actually, I'm one of the newer guys), this WebOS forum is where you want to be if you want to keep your Touchpad, phone, etc. up and running. Follow the guy's I stated above, because they know what they are doing. I know it can be difficult at times to digest all of this stuff, but stay the course and don't give up the ship. Unfortunately, HP dumped WebOS and all their products that ran on it, so this WebOS forum is here to the rescue. The HP Touchpad is a terrific device...even by todays standards. And WebOS is what it runs on. We don't have to be tech wizards, we just have to follow the info. and advice from the more advanced guys on this forum. Where else would we go?
    Preemptive and kward46 like this.
  18. #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh View Post
    for the moment it doesn't seem related, what am I supposed to type exactly and do you do it straight from wterm's bash ?
    What horzel was suggesting is that it is possible that you entered the command to execute the script successfully, however when the script ran, errors were returned because the script is not correct -- after copying the text in a windows environment and transferring to your phone -- this can happen sometimes.

    The way to check, as was mentioned, is to use a program called Internalz. You navigate to the script file and press and hold on it. Then select Open (or maybe Info) from the popup menu. Then you can see the script and check if it matches what you intended to copy.

    EDIT: saw in subsequent posts that you are back on the right track.
  19. #419  
    As grabber wrote, he found some windows line endings, so that might have been the problem, do try it with his new script, he might have solved the problem for you.

    I am sorry I do not always have the change to give a more complete answer, I just hope that my reply gets somebody else to look in the correct corner.

    If only I had more time, I would also try to put mayorships back in Foursquare, now they are back

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  20. #420  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kitch View Post
    I wish I could understand what all this means. I have read so many posts but my
    only successful method is by copying the certificate.

    Jeff, let me know if you are successful in the above method.

    otherwise I think the TP will have to have a different OS on it.

    I'm hoping there are some guides on how to do that?
    I'm still trying to get all this stuff together...it may take a while

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09/04/2015, 11:51 AM
  2. "Requested encryption not supported by server"
    By freebirds in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02/28/2015, 07:33 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11/10/2014, 04:31 AM
  4. CM9 Encryption Unsuccessful Touchpad Error
    By JackisBack in forum Android on webOS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08/04/2012, 11:51 AM
  5. Can not access 128 encryption server (sercurity) error code 18
    By quedawg in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/06/2005, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions