Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Mah, email access should not be affected by nything aside DNS resolution issues... there are standards.
    Can you set manual DNS for the Touchpad when using the home wifi connection ?

You can put opendns.com ones
    208.67.222.222 Primary
    208.67.220.220 Alternate

and lets see if this fixes it
    Don't know if this makes a difference, but generic "email" isn't the problem. It's the Gmail app.

Did not fix it. Same yellow triangle in gmail, same error message.
    Last edited by awriter; 07/02/2015 at 09:15 AM.
    I'm having this problem with a Pre2.

You guys are speculating on Tpad connectivity, but I don't see how Wi-Fi is relevant, based on my experience of intermittent failure and then restored functionality, while strictly using cellular data only, on Sprint. Last night I got the triangle again, yet today accounts are working fine, mail sending and receiving.

My opinion is it has to be Google screwing around. I may have to switch back to using hotmail, or forward both gmail addressees to my hotmail so I get all incoming messages on time.

I suspect that Google's evolution toward being worse than Microsoft with proprietary software, is eventually going to shut us out. They want us to move to a droid.

As of right now, no triangle. Sync appears OK.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Well, it still should not happen... actually feels a bit weird...

Moreover, happens consistently on verizon (wifi. who knows about cellular ?), randomly on sprint .... and maybe not on att ?
    This seems a provider issue, more than a google one.
    Last edited by mazzinia; 07/02/2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'm having this problem with a Pre2.

You guys are speculating on Tpad connectivity, but I don't see how Wi-Fi is relevant, based on my experience of intermittent failure and then restored functionality, while strictly using cellular data only, on Sprint. Last night I got the triangle again, yet today accounts are working fine, mail sending and receiving.

My opinion is it has to be Google screwing around.
    You're right that it's not Wi-Fi per se, but please remember that the TP has no "data". And data or Wi-Fi, network (and not just Google) must have something to do with it, since the Gmail app works just fine on other Wi-Fi networks, as I showed yesterday by going to home depot and logging on.to their ATT network.
    Quote Originally Posted by awriter View Post
    You're right that it's not Wi-Fi per se, but please remember that the TP has no "data". And data or Wi-Fi, network (and not just Google) must have something to do with it, since the Gmail app works just fine on other Wi-Fi networks, as I showed yesterday by going to home depot and logging on.to their ATT network.
    I haven't been home when the issue occurred. Next time I will switch to home Wi-Fi which is att uverse, and report if it corrects the error.

But I don't expect it to. If I'm experiencing the problem over cellular, and you are experiencing it over WiFi, that should eliminate network as the possible problem.

To communicate with Google at all, I have to have "less secure mode" active on the Google preferences page. I suspect this function is being toyed with at Google. Or it was having intermittent failure and defaulting to the higher and more common security level. They are always increasing security, and will eventually shut us out unless we the community find a way to adapt.

Another thing to try: attempt to log into gmail.com through the browser. See if it's specific to the webOS gmail app.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    TJs11thpre wrote:

"If I'm experiencing the problem over cellular, and you are experiencing it over WiFi, that should eliminate network as the possible problem."

I'm not quite getting your reasoning here, since going to different *networks * actually solves the Wi-Fi problem. If it's Google and not the network, that couldn't happen. My Google prefs do.not change.
    TJs11thpre wrote:

"If I'm experiencing the problem over cellular, and you are experiencing it over WiFi, that should eliminate network as the possible problem."

I'm not quite getting your reasoning here, since going to different *networks * actually solves the Wi-Fi problem. If it's Google and not the network, that couldn't happen. My Google prefs do.not change.
    Well, these are the questions I'm considering:

Did going to a different network solve the problem, or did something else happen at the same time you reattempted on that new network?

If it is a network problem, why not specific to that one network, vs seeing it on various carriers?

why is the problem intermittent on a single network?

Who else is likely making changes if not Google? Sprint, Verizon, and ATT all at the same time?

Who is usually guilty when we all experience the same issue over multiple carriers and multiple devices, with the only consistency being Google?

Mysterious!
    Ok, just noticed something strange here, too. A yellow triangle and gmail draining the battery by keeping pinging.
    I went to check the settings, and the incoming is on port 993 , SSL Encryption (and the triangle mentioned unsupported encryption by the server).

Up to that point, rescanning didn't change the situation. Then I went to check my outlook settings... and well... outlook uses port 995 to get incoming mail from Gmail, using SSL.

Changed the port on the Go, and it started saying that the certificate was invalid (cert manager opened a cert to show). Put back the old 993... and works by magic.

Bottom line, we have an issue on port 993 on google side. We should likely get a cert for port 995 to install on all our units, this way we can switch to the port used on a pc client...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    "Did going to a different network solve the problem, or did something else happen at the same time you reattempted on that new network?"

Just came back from Whole Foods with pad. Logged into.their Wi-Fi network. Yellow triangle gone, even with same port settings, in and out email just fine. Came home, yellow triangle back.

If it was entirely a Google problem, this thread would have 500 replies from TP owners saying "me, too!"

"If it is a network problem, why not specific to that one network, vs seeing it on various carriers?"

I believe some carriers may no longer be supporting this OS. Maybe. Or maybe a software communication problem.

"why is the problem intermittent on a single network?"

Can't speak to cell issues, but on the TP side it's not intermittent all. Triangle/error message appeared 6 days ago and hasn't gone away. Except when I'm on a different Wi-Fi network.
    I believe some carriers may no longer be supporting this OS. Maybe. Or maybe a software communication problem.
    I'm no expert, but I've seen enough webpages of some old machine being hacked to surf the net or even serving a website to doubt that networks are blocking Operating Systems, though I'm sure it's technically possible. On the fringes there must be hundreds of systems and browser combinations connecting. Some will be new & experimental, some older than webOS and REALLY 'dead'. A company would have to specifically target an OS & given comms standards, it would have to be known malware. The other approach would be to blanket block anything not on an approved list and that would kill software innovation.

This has to be a fault in the chain like a bad patch, misconfigured firewall or connection settings or something at Google. If you can connect elsewhere, I'd suspect something on the home network.
    Me and my girlfriend own a pre3 and a veer.

My pre3 is on 2.2.4 and I am using IMAP. I have rarely seen the triangle. Not when using my vodafone hungary network, nor my wifi at home, which is telenor mobile. I suppose I might have seen it while on other wifis, or maybe while I was out of country using another cellular network.

My gf has a veer which is still using the gmail connection to get email, with the sync patch.
    When on my home wifi, telenor mobile, almost never a triangle. When, then when it was there already and she just connected.
    But when using her own mobile connection, tmobile hungary, see does experience this very often.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Me and my girlfriend own a pre3 and a veer.

My pre3 is on 2.2.4 and I am using IMAP. I have rarely seen the triangle. Not when using my vodafone hungary network, nor my wifi at home, which is telenor mobile. I suppose I might have seen it while on other wifis, or maybe while I was out of country using another cellular network.

My gf has a veer which is still using the gmail connection to get email, with the sync patch.
    When on my home wifi, telenor mobile, almost never a triangle. When, then when it was there already and she just connected.
    But when using her own mobile connection, tmobile hungary, see does experience this very often.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Google also has "protection" when you login from an unknown location so you need to authenticate via web. This gives a yellow triangle as well. I get this frequently when traveling abroad.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This has to be a fault in the chain like a bad patch, misconfigured firewall or connection settings or something at Google. If you can connect elsewhere, I'd suspect something on the home network.
    Home network is fine - Gmail app runs fine on my phone using home network wi-fi using exact same account/Google settings/ports as in the TP Gmail app. And when I use the TP Advanced Browser, it automatically logs me into my main Gmail account. At least I can get to email that way.

Eight days of the triangle in TP Gmail App with no relief in sight.
    Home network is fine - Gmail app runs fine on my phone using home network wi-fi using exact same account/Google settings/ports as in the TP Gmail app. And when I use the TP Advanced Browser, it automatically logs me into my main Gmail account. At least I can get to email that way.

Eight days of the triangle in TP Gmail App with no relief in sight.
    Why don't you try what I did ?
    Edit the gmail settings, but on manual .. change the incoming port to 995, login .... get the cert error, then revert back to 993 and save ?

To me this was the fix
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Edit the gmail settings, but on manual...
    How do I do that? When I go to Accounts>Google and click it, it asks me to 'sign in' -- and then of course I can't. I don't see any Manual button to click.
    Accounts (from the email app)
    gmail
    scroll down : change login settings
    Manual Setup
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Went to manual settings from the app. Changed incoming port to 995. Tried to sign it. Got NO message about a "certificate" -- just the same Requested Encryption Not Supported By Server."

Went back to 993. Same message.

Went from imap.gmail.com to pop.gmail.com. Switched port numbers. Signed in. Same message.

Also want to note: Existing settings work just fine in Whole Foods and Home Depot in last several days! Therefore it is unlikely they need to be changed.
    Last edited by awriter; 07/03/2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Weird.... same starting point, same actions, and 2 different results.
    My certificate warning was due to not being signed in a way it was liked, and by not being present in the touchpad.
    It's possible that you have that cert installed... or more weirdly, that in your geography you get a different certificate somehow ?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    > It's possible that you have that cert installed...

Yes, given that until 8 days ago all was working perfectly here -- and still is, just not here.

Thanks for trying to help.
    mmm I checked both certs using openssl. (both as in for port 993 and port 995).
    They are a bit different from yahoo and hotmail ones... there are 3 parts -begin -end

Certificate chain
    0 s:/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc/CN=pop.gmail.com
    i:/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    1 s:/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2
    i:/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    2 s:/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
    i:/C=US/O=Equifax/OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority