Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm seeing an unbranded W8.1 tablet at Best Buy for $130. Thinking of getting it and either sell the TP (for whatever) or keep it as a spare. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Not me. I have three TPs, one is running WebOS, one is running Android KitKat, and one is running LuneOS. Depending on my mood I choose the one that I take with me after work to relax. If I need to do "real" work, I use one of my laptops (A Lenovo Yoga 3 or a Macbook Pro).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I haven't sold my touchpad but I barely use it, because I am not that much of a tablet person and not too crazy about the touchpad version of webos. When I'm home I just use my laptop and on the road my phone.

That said, I did buy a 8 inch windows tablet for the road because I can't rely that much on the webos browser and sometimes I need a big screen. Windows tablets are pretty cool, they are like a clone of a desktop in your hand. And I prefer the wide screen over the 4:3 of the ipad touchpad

You didn't mention what size you were looking at at best buy, if it's an 8 inch most of them come with I gig memory and 16 gig storage. Most of the storage on the 16 gig one will be taken up by the OS and you won't have enough left to install a lot of apps. Mine barely had enough room to install office. Good news is microsoft has an ASUS with double the memory and storage for only $150 Buy ASUS VivoTab 8 M81C-B1-MSBK Signature Edition Tablet - Microsoft Store
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I haven't sold my touchpad but I barely use it, because I am not that much of a tablet person and not too crazy about the touchpad version of webos. When I'm home I just use my laptop and on the road my phone.

That said, I did buy a 8 inch windows tablet for the road because I can't rely that much on the webos browser and sometimes I need a big screen. Windows tablets are pretty cool, they are like a clone of a desktop in your hand. And I prefer the wide screen over the 4:3 of the ipad touchpad

You didn't mention what size you were looking at at best buy, if it's an 8 inch most of them come with I gig memory and 16 gig storage. Most of the storage on the 16 gig one will be taken up by the OS and you won't have enough left to install a lot of apps. Mine barely had enough room to install office. Good news is microsoft has an ASUS with double the memory and storage for only $150 Buy ASUS VivoTab 8 M81C-B1-MSBK Signature Edition Tablet - Microsoft Store
    It's this:
    Windows 10.1" Tablet 32GB Gray UB-15MS10SA - Best Buy
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet27 View Post
    That's looks good. Has the minimum specs one should get in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about the brand, they all the same except for placement of butoons, camera, etc. This one has a windows button, some have logo instead
    I haven't sold mine but haven't used for a couple years now.
    I still use mine every day Unfortunately, the CM side instead webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I haven't sold mine but haven't used for a couple years now.
    Are you not tempted to be a LuneOS tester?
    Best Buy is running an offer through the 4th where you can trade in any working tablet for a $30 gift card and a $20 coupon towards a Surface. You don't have to get a Surface but, if you're looking to buy a tablet at Best Buy anyway this is probably your best and easiest way to turn the HP Touchpad into money and use the gift card towards your unbranded tablet.

"Keyboard and pen sold separately. Valid in store only 6/14/15–7/4/15. Coupon redemption valid through 7/4/15. When you trade in any working tablet, get a minimum $30 Best Buy gift card and a $20 coupon toward a new Surface 3 tablet. "

surface-3-141046 - Best Buy

Best Buy has the Touchpad's trade-in value listed as "Zero" so you'll only qualify for the minimum value $30 gift card. Your Touchpad does need to be working as they'll want to see it powered on before accepting it.
    Still have all 4 (or is it 5?) TP's at home. All but 1 are dual booting with CM Android. Most get used daily, even over other available devices. Haven't tried LuneOS on any of them yet.
    Still have all 4 (or is it 5?) TP's at home. All but 1 are dual booting with CM Android. Most get used daily, even over other available devices. Haven't tried LuneOS on any of them yet.
    4 or 5 TP, I get jealous of you. I'm searching for a second here in Germany the last year. But they won't get cheap on ebay.
    I never would sell my TP. It's in daily use and it will be used till the and of times

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    4 or 5 TP, I get jealous of you. I'm searching for a second here in Germany the last year. But they won't get cheap on ebay.
    I never would sell my TP. It's in daily use and it will be used till the and of times

Hi Daniel, PM me if you really are looking for a TP 32GB.
    Wow. The love for the TP here is admirable.

I wish I used mine more. I find it mostly unusable. The AccuWeather app seems to work still, otherwise its nothing more than a desk clock to me. But I can't let go of it for some reason, clinging to the past I guess...

Thing looks brand new, not even a stress crack at the speakers. Just sleeps there on the Tstone...
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Are you not tempted to be a LuneOS tester?
    Yes.

When I hear that luneOS has the same functionality and support as android, I'll be happy to try to install it. When will that be?

I don't need another OS I must "nurse" to survive. It's annoying but I do it for webOS because the love is already there. Slowly fading though...
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Yes.

When I hear that luneOS has the same functionality and support as android, I'll be happy to try to install it. When will that be?
    While anything can happen, the realistic answer to your question is "never", if you are comparing to the eco-system of the OS that has 80% of the mobile market. Google has (hundreds of?) very well paid programmers, $billions to spend and sufficient dominance to shape the market.

If we assume that LuneOS can reach parity with webOS in it's current, 'mostly works with fixes' state or even it's commercial 'peak functionality' under HP/Palm, then many of the current problems will be easily fixed - the code is OSS. Any patches, certificates updates or new features can be baked into an OTA update. In some ways, it may be that in a smaller community, there will be more responsive & personal support - a bit like this forum. What will still be lacking is an avalanche of apps (we can hope for quality over quantity) and support from major services with closed APIs. At the moment, there seems to be trend towards locked-down walled gardens & trading personal data for 'free' services. If there is a backlash, then the fashion may swing back and some of the current minor players may get a shot, but there's no way to tell.

I'm sure you know how to install Android if you want it!
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

You may as well try out Android on there in the mean time. I've found that the CM 10.1 version has shown me the best balance of features and compatibility/stability so far.
    Hi Daniel, PM me if you really are looking for a TP 32GB.
    PM send

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Reading and commenting from my Touchpad right now, if that tell you anything.. While watching TV.

I got three of them.. One being the spare, the other is my wife's, which she uses every day, but just got her a small android tablet due to some apps she needed... She is slowly converting, mostly because of that and the speed of webpages loading.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Thankfully the TP runs Android quite well. I'm running CM11/KitKat myself and it's really remarkable how well it works, especially given that the tablets are approaching 4 years old now.
    I would probably eBay before exchanging at best buy, touchpads with a good android install still go for like 70-100, its pretty sick, after 4 years . And maybe luneos or Webos fans will end up with it. I'm sure best buy is just recycling them.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast