1.    #1  
    So I'm trying to update my dad's touchpad to the newest android version. Turns out, his USB port is dead. I put it on my touchstone and it charged, but have no way to get it recognized by a computer. Therefore, I'm not able to copy the newest android files to the device to perform the upgrade.

Does anyone know of a way to download the files to the touchpad (via wifi), and somehow get it to delete the current Android installation, and install Android from the new files? I was thinking partitioning the storage drive may be the start of a solution, but not being able to have it recognized by the computer is the issue.

Is there a way to get this upgraded without connecting it to a computer? Otherwise, I might need to open it up and replace the USB port.

THanks
    if you still have WebOS installed, then you can install WiFi File sharing and copy them over that way. One of the best Touchpad apps that HP did NOT make. Thank goodness for the homebrew folks that keep WebOS going.

WiFi File Sharing | webOS Nation

You should then be able to update it from recovery mode and drill down to the transferred files and run them. Keep in mind if you are going from an older version you will need to enlarge partitions and always make a backup just in case.

Here are the steps including using TP Toolbox:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/179730-ro...uper-easy-way/

If you blew WebOS away, there are a few Android ones in the Play Store such as WiFi File transfer by smarter droid. I have it on my TP but I have not used it in quite some time.

If you eventually want to replace the USB port, you can find them on ebay. Opening the TP is a bit of a pain the first time out, but it sure beats the glued tablets of today. There is help here in the forums and I have found that several guitar picks are rather helpful.

Depending on the version of Android installed, you might be able to update it from within Android. IIRC I have Evervolv on one of my TP's and I remember running an update on that one some time ago.
    Last edited by joeytino; 06/08/2015 at 08:42 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Joeytino. WebOS is still on the tablet, so I'm going to try the wifi file sharing route first.

I checked ebay for the USB ports. They're relatively inexpensive (under 10) but given that it it looks like they will need to be soldiered to the board, it might be a difficult fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by knightfan17 View Post
    Thanks Joeytino. WebOS is still on the tablet, so I'm going to try the wifi file sharing route first.

I checked ebay for the USB ports. They're relatively inexpensive (under 10) but given that it it looks like they will need to be soldiered to the board, it might be a difficult fix.
    If you know anyone that can solder it's an easy fix. Otherwise keep an eye out on eBay for the entire board they show up quite often. Another place to watch is Craigslist for cheap ones to part out with cracked screens or hosed up due to incorrect Android installs. I picked up one for $35 (with touchstone) and before tearing it apart it only took me a few hours and it was back up and running.

Even four years on these things are cheap to find and still run quite well with Android ( or soon the rapidly improving LuneOS)