Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes
    IIRC palm was purchased under Mark Hurd's tenure and I believe he had a clear plan to take the good of palm and bring it together with HP's deep pockets and desire to enter the mobile arena. But once Hurd left after that very weird sexual harassment/not sexual harassment charge, all of those palm plans were out the door and then neither Leo or anyone else top level lacked the foresight, resolve, or simply didn't care for what Hurd had in mind and just decided to pull the plug when things were looking tough. Even Steve Jobs saw what Hurd leaving would do to HP and wanted to prevent it.

I think - and not being CEO material here - HP had a narrow window where Android was still shaky, Blackberry was years away from BB10, and there was definitely an audience for anything not Apple. From the Verge article, the Ipad2 freaked HP out because they were on sale at announcement time only two weeks after HP announced their WebOS line up and none of it would hit the market until July and the ipad was better technically than the Touchpad.
    Except for the Go.
    The Ipad mini was still about 2 years out and HP had their version ready to go. ( Pun not intended.)
    What HP should have done was cut the price of the Touchpad but NOT kill the program. Just undercut the price of the ipad but double down on WebOS and kept development going. Keep making the OS better. Eel was already underway, the 64GB and 4G were already produced and could easily sold for a bit higher price than the Wifi 16 and 32GB models, and the pre3 was also ready to sell through the big boys at AT&T and Verizon just weeks after HP killed everything.

By laying the groundwork and get WebOS in peoples hands, showing them how intuitive it was and promise good things in the near future. And that could have started with the Go.
    Perhaps with the first release of the Eel design to differentiate it from the Touchpad, or maybe WebOS 3.1 if that was at all underway at that point, the Go was a design that Apple did not have yet and has proven to be popular.

Then knock down the doors of Netflix and the other app providers and have them make stuff for WebOS. Once HP killed everything that was not going to happen, but had they kept the faith, I believe the app developers would have come around. ( Like they did for Android.)

Then prepare for the TP2 and perhaps they could have gone back to the WindsorNot and finished developing it with 4G speeds so they would have had their slab phone to add to the lineup.

Looking back now 4 years later and seeing how much of WebOS has been stol- borrowed by both IOS and Android - and in the case of IOS 8 some were treated as if it was the most incredible additions ever seen before that the Touchpad had in 2011. ( Although you STILL cannot charge an Apple device inductively.) What also shocks me is that these tablets are STILL viable 4 years later happily running WebOS, the latest version of Android and the ever improving Lune. They may not be lightning quick, but they are certainly more than capable for most daily uses, I cannot say that about my wife's ipad 1 that did not quite make it to four years because it could not upgrade past IOS 5 and apps stopped working.

Was the Touchpad perfect? No, of course not, but it had potential. As did the other models, the Go and pre3 were not even given the chance.

Would this stab have worked, who knows, but saying uncle as they did that August evening would not likely have happened under different leadership.
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
    i think Mark was an ***** for paying so much for Palm.
    That seems to be an HP tradition. Look how Autonomy worked out.

However I will say that perhaps Hurd thought that it was worth it to get the jump into mobility with an existing product line with a fiercely loyal following. Despite their ups and downs, there always seemed a large amount of goodwill towards them and that is something that takes time to create. TIme HP did not have if they wanted to get into the smartphone business quickly before Android cemented their position as second to Apple. And maybe he thought that alone was worth the price, that he saw the potential of WebOS, plus any value in their patent portfolio. I also wonder if Hurd thought they could put up a serious challenge to Apple and Android as HP tends to...well, get in their own way a lot of the time

I have not heard or seen any interviews with him since he left HP about his plans for palm. That would be an interesting story to hear.
    Look at what is going on with Microsoft. How long have they been around and not even a dent and their product is superior.
    Interestingly they said the same about the Zune and it too did not make it. What is it about Apple and to a lesser extent Android or anything else for that matter that people simply gravitate to even though they may not be the best but jut convinced they are. I STILL swipe around the boarders of an iPad looking like an idoit because it's so intuitive to do that and not have to press the home button. I guess in the end it was just the apps that made all of the difference.
    The apps are likely a good part, but they all started with a sort of limited amount of those.
    If I can express my point of view, Apple is just because is Apple (aka the cool factor that has been part of the marketing since well before the phones and tablets) + people tend to like to show off ( look, I've a 700euro phone ).
    Android is likely due to the low royalties to market it on a phone (this from a maker's point of view), the relative low effort to customize it to the phone, the option to add a 2nd private store (samsung, by example).

From a buyer... back then what was available easily on affordable devices ? (worldwide)
    Android

You can answer also windows mobile, but it was not as nice, and even less upgradeable.
    As for BB, their error has been to focus too much on enterprise usage, imo
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    In all fairness webos has a lot of flaws that make it unattractive for the masses. An OS built on Web tech isn't going to be fast enough and no one likes lag in this day and age.
    What are you using for mobile devices?
    I see samsung showing off their wireless charging device on tv. Not that anything can sway iphone users. They probly not impressed. Until apple releases one, that is

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No one is going to switch platforms for something as trivial as wireless charging. It is a burden to plug a wire in the phone.
    I think yes, its a burden. Much like rolling up a car window is a "burden" compared to power windows. You slap it down and it charges. The phone rings you pick it up and it answers the phone. Not too many modern conveniences cooler than that.

In fact I rate that function over something like sir, cortana, etc. I will always feel silly talking to a phone by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I think yes, its a burden. Much like rolling up a car window is a "burden" compared to power windows. You slap it down and it charges. The phone rings you pick it up and it answers the phone. Not too many modern conveniences cooler than that.

In fact I rate that function over something like sir, cortana, etc. I will always feel silly talking to a phone by myself.

Well said.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Please let us ingore this fool above and let him perish in loneliness. Nobody but him wins something out of replying to him.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    Please let us ingore this fool above and let him perish in loneliness. Nobody but him wins something out of replying to him.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Well said.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12