Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I recently factory reset my 32gb HP TP, and at the setup screen, I'm getting the following error message:

"Server Error: Please visit: HP WebOS official website to resolve this problem"

I've already tried changing my network settings from WPA2 to TKIP, like this thread says:
    [Q] Receiving Server Error after Secure Full… | HP TouchPad | XDA Forums

No luck. I just want to install android on the tablet, and ultimately get rid of WebOS.

If anyone has some advice that would be great!!

Thank you
    Hi, HP shut down the profile servers. You would have to bypass First Use, instructions can be found on this forum.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Could someone point to the link on how to reactivate the touchpad after a full reset? My friend with low literacy had just gotten used to it and mainly he was using to look up stuff on youtube or the web and also to check the weather on a weather app. I'd rather get it back to webos, since he was used to it, but even if I can get it back on and get it to android, it's worth a go.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkempt Quigley View Post
    Could someone point to the link on how to reactivate the touchpad after a full reset? My friend with low literacy had just gotten used to it and mainly he was using to look up stuff on youtube or the web and also to check the weather on a weather app. I'd rather get it back to webos, since he was used to it, but even if I can get it back on and get it to android, it's worth a go.

Thanks!
    Try this link, my Touchpad Go had a similar issue and this was my starting point:

Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Thanks!
    Try this link, my Touchpad Go had a similar issue and this was my starting point:

Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation
    Hmm, well, I don't know if it is because it isn't a phone or a touchpad go, but the device is not recognized at all when I plug into my computer.
    Hmm, well, I don't know if it is because it isn't a phone or a touchpad go, but the device is not recognized at all when I plug into my computer.
    It is almost impossible to 'brick' these devices unless the hardware is faulty. There are old threads here on recovering Touchpads - have a search. I'll also see if I can spot anything.

Can you describe what happened with the TouchPad and how it was reset?

What are it's current symptoms? Does the LED in the switch light? Does the screen come on? Are the any symbols displayed?

HP TouchPad - webOS Nation Forums
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/24/2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Pre

Unfortunately, it was giving some error message that it was running out of space, or something. With the notification that one should restart the touchpad and it would come back to normal.
    Little did I know (DUH but I should have) that it isn't capable of doing so since it cannot get to the HP servers anymore in order to start afresh. So basically, it behaves like a brand new touchpad with nothing on it. It does come on and I get as far as the pick the language and then it of course tries to connect to the non-existent server.

I would really like to get it back somehow. My friend who used it, speaks little english and was raised in a small, small ranch in Mexico. He was learning all sorts of things through youtube and the internet. (Imagine like someone from back in time). He called it "Mi cuadro magico" (My magic square). He is a very simple person and really got so much joy from it.

I know I could get him some cheap android tablet for under $100, but I would like to get it working in some form or fashion.

Thanks for any assistance.

I can plug it into the computer and it just doesn't show as something connected. I think I am missing some trick to doing this.
    There is a tool called devicetool.jar that needs to be modified with the addition of the uImage of the Touchpad, to open Developer Mode, without using this tool, one can not bypass the first use app on the default webOS version (there are patches that can be done via preware once developer mode is invoked), which is what the devicetool.jar will do.

But the default jar file is only configured for the Pre/Pixi not any other device... there are several threads that explain how to do this...
    Here's a thread about bypassing HP activation on a TouchPad:
    Activation Bypass for TouchPad
    This one seems simpler....
    Bypass Activation HP TouchPad (3.0.0 - 3.0.5)
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Here's one: Activation Bypass for TouchPad Aahh! Broncot beat me! But I have more links! Personally, I'd trust GMMan's version.

Here's a page of links, opened in the internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...octor_Versions When you find the right doctor version for your TouchPad, the link should retrieve from the archive.

Here is a similar link to the device tool: https://web.archive.org/web/20150224...devicetool.jar

7-Zip is one archiver that can open a doctor.

Obviously, I don't know how good you are with computers, but it's possible to dual boot and have the choice of webOS or Android at start up. If that interests you, it might be wise to check out that process first as it might mean starting over to do it after (I don't know - never done it myself)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/24/2015 at 09:42 PM.
    I did the "Erase Apps & Data" from the "Reset Options" on my Touchpad & was faced with the same problem. Gathering information here & following the instructions GMMan gave on another thread I was able to restore my Touchpad to normal working ability. Since the files you need are scattered around & the instructions can be a little difficult to understand for novice users I've hopefully simplified the process.

GMMan's short version instructions - Activation Bypass for TouchPad

Now for the long version...

Here's what you will need to do to fix your Touchpad:

Hardware:

1. Your HP Touchpad
    2. USB cable that came with your Touchpad
    3. A Laptop or Desktop with Windows

Files:

1. WinRar 32-bit or 64-bit
    32-bit: WinRAR (32-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    64-bit: WinRAR (64-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I used 64-bit since I'm on Windows 8.1.

2. Java - https://www.java.com/en/

Java may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer. Go ahead and download if you aren't sure.

3. Universal Novacom Installer 1.4.1

Scroll down the page where it says downloads & click on "UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar"
    https://github.com/123Haynes/univers...ses/tag/v1.4.1

4. webos doctor 3.0.5 - It is 3 parts/files instead of 1 file. Just download all 3 to same location on your laptop or desktop.
    Part 1 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part1
    Part 2 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part2
    Part 3 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part3

5. devicetool.jar - https://web.archive.org/web/20150224...devicetool.jar

Instructions:

1. Install WinRar -
    Double-click on the WinRar file you downloaded and then click "install" then "ok" & then "done."
    If a window pops up showing the WinRar files just close/exit it out.

2. Install Java -
    This may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer but if you're not sure just install it anyway. It will just update your current version.
    Double-click on the Java file you downloaded and then click "install."
    Uncheck the two boxes in the next window or it will make "ask" your default homepage & search provider.
    Then click "next."
    Click "close" after it installs. It will also ask you to verify java but you can close that window unless you want to verify it.

3. Install Universal Novacom Installer 1.4.1 -
    Double-click on the UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar file you downloaded and then click "Install Novacom."
    Click "ok" after it installs the driver.
    Then close/exit out the window if you see the "Install Novacom" again.
    During installation you may see a black window popup for a few seconds then go away. That's normal.

This is where it gets slightly more advanced...

1. Double-click on webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part1 file you downloaded
    - WinRar will open the file in a new window
    - Next, you will see a file named webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar (It's the only file in the window)
    - Next, you are going to click on that file once to highlight it. (Don't double-click it. If you double click the file it will open the webos doctor program. If you do open webos doctor by accident you will see a window popup asking you to select your language. Just close it out.)
    - After you click on webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar and see it highlighted look above for the icon that says "view." The icon is a book with reading glasses in front of it. Click "view."
    - It will start extracting & then you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "resources."
    - Double-click "resources"
    - You will see a bunch of files. You want the third one called "webOS.tar"
    - Double-click "webOS.tar"
    - You will see a bunch of files again. You now want the 13th file down called "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
    - Click on it once to highlight it. Then click the icon above that says "Extract To." A window will popup asking you where to save it. I recommend saving it with the other files you've already downloaded to make it easier to find later. Then click "ok."

If you have 3 WinRar windows open you might want to go ahead and exit them out to avoid clutter. You no longer need them.

Next,

- Right-click on the "devicetool" file you downloaded. Notice I said right-click not the normal left-click. After you right-click click on "Open with WinRar."
    - A window will popup & you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "org."
    - Double-click "com"
    - Next, double-click "palm"
    - Next, double-click "webos"
    - Next, double-click "devicetool"
    - Next, double-click "images"
    - You will now see two files named nova-installer-image-castle.uImage & nova-installer-image-pixie.uImage. We want to add a third file. That third file is the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" you just saved to your computer.
    - So, next, click on the icon named "Add." Find the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" file and click "ok." Then click "ok" again and it will add it.
    - Close/exit out that WinRar window

Almost done...

1. Turn off your Touchpad.
    2. Hold the Vol+ and Power buttons at same time on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
    - The Vol+ button is on the left when you hold the Touchpad horizontally.
    3. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
    4. Open up a command prompt (It's a black window)
    - On Windows 8 it's an App that says Command Prompt
    - Windows 7 How To Open Command Prompt in Windows 7 [Easy, 1 Min]
    or Open a Command Prompt window
    5. Next, you'll be typing a code to execute the devicetool file you downloaded & modified already.

Read below: This is a generic code you have to modify slightly.
    Code:
    java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
    where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to

So, you need to know the path to your devicetool file.
    For example, I saved the devicetool file on my laptop to my "downloads" folder. So, the code I would type in the command prompt is this:
    java -jar c:/users/steven/downloads/devicetool.jar
    - Then hit enter to run it.

The part in bold is what you have to change.

After you hit enter the command prompt will show code like this:

Code:
    C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
    Found device: topaz-bootie
    Copying ram disk.................
    Rebooting device...
    Configuring device...
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
      8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
      0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Rebooting device...
    Device is ready.
    Your Touchpad will show the HP logo & reboot.

That's it. That fixed mine.

GMMan said this at the end of his instructions when done running the code - "When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot."

I didn't have to do that.

Not sure if there is a quicker or easier to do it & I'm not this will work for everyone it's just how I did it. Hope this can help someone.
    Last edited by fuddy78; 04/26/2015 at 11:59 AM.
    You are all fabulous. I am having a bit of a problem getting the novacom installed. I got it downloaded and opened with the rar, but do not find any file that I can use to actually install it? I tried the one with the type application manifest, but not go. everything else in the files is listed as a form?

I feel I am so close, though...
    Thanks Fuddy. I had to do WebOSDoctor and couldn't get past the activation where I would get a server error. Your solution worked and I'm up and running again.
    You are all fabulous. I am having a bit of a problem getting the novacom installed. I got it downloaded and opened with the rar, but do not find any file that I can use to actually install it? I tried the one with the type application manifest, but not go. everything else in the files is listed as a form?

I feel I am so close, though...
    Novacom is installed by just double-clicking the file you downloaded. You don't use WinRar for that one.

So, to install Novacom you do this:

1. Find the UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar file you downloaded on your laptop or desktop.
    2. Double-click the file to run it.
    3. A tiny box/window will popup and say "Install Novacom"
    4. Click "Install Novacom"
    5. It will install the driver then you just hit "ok" after it does.
    6. The tiny "Install Novacom" popup/window will probably be open still just close/exit it out.

That's it.

You'll get it fixed just keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchpadTim View Post
    Thanks Fuddy. I had to do WebOSDoctor and couldn't get past the activation where I would get a server error. Your solution worked and I'm up and running again.
    Awesome.
    Fuddy,

Hmm, well the winrar will automatically open. See attached jpgs. The first one is what I get when I double click on the novacom jar file I downloaded. the second is what happens when i hit "ok'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fuddy!!
    I DID IT!!

I am so well pleased at myself. You are a fabulous and most patient writer. You need to write a 'for dummies' series as you speak "dummy" quite well. (That is actually a compliment). Could you dummy me up a way to get youtube on? I used to have a button for it.

El cuadro magico has returned!!!

I am sooooo happy!!!!!
    Everyone on this thread. If I can do it, you can too.

My mistakes when I followed Fuddy's advice were
    1. the novacom just kept opening with winrar. I had to right click and ask it to open with java and then, voila, I was able to install
    2. I kept getting an error when I tried to put the info in the command window. I had downloaded the device tool twice, and my 'good' file was actually called 'devicetool(1).jar, once I made that change, Voila, again.
    I am a fool, but a much smarter fool now.
    This is why I have always loved the touchpad, (and the palm pilot before that, then my two palm phones...), people are so smart and so nice on webos nation.

Onwards and upwards.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hey Fuddy,
    I got most way through before experiencing an error with my command prompt and executing the devicetool.jar file. See the attached screen shot.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast