Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KenKK View Post
    Some of this is a bit over my head. I was wondering if anyone posted a youtube video showing step
    by step instructions?

What kind of company would leave customers stuck like this. You would think they would always
    offer some solution to get it working again.

Thanks
    Ken
    The only weird part about it was how quickly it was all wound down from the start. Otherwise, you're pretty much abandoned with every hardware manufacturer after 4-5 years.
    I've got some cell phones that are newer than my TouchPads that I can't get restore images for (HTC)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddy78 View Post
    I did the "Erase Apps & Data" from the "Reset Options" on my Touchpad & was faced with the same problem. Gathering information here & following the instructions GMMan gave on another thread I was able to restore my Touchpad to normal working ability. Since the files you need are scattered around & the instructions can be a little difficult to understand for novice users I've hopefully simplified the process.

GMMan's short version instructions - Activation Bypass for TouchPad

Now for the long version...

Here's what you will need to do to fix your Touchpad:

Hardware:

1. Your HP Touchpad
    2. USB cable that came with your Touchpad
    3. A Laptop or Desktop with Windows

Files:

1. WinRar 32-bit or 64-bit
    32-bit: WinRAR (32-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    64-bit: WinRAR (64-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I used 64-bit since I'm on Windows 8.1.

2. Java - https://www.java.com/en/

Java may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer. Go ahead and download if you aren't sure.

3. Universal Novacom Installer 1.4.1

Scroll down the page where it says downloads & click on "UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar"
    https://github.com/123Haynes/univers...ses/tag/v1.4.1

4. webos doctor 3.0.5 - It is 3 parts/files instead of 1 file. Just download all 3 to same location on your laptop or desktop.
    Part 1 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part1
    Part 2 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part2
    Part 3 - webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part3

5. devicetool.jar - https://web.archive.org/web/20150224...devicetool.jar

Instructions:

1. Install WinRar -
    Double-click on the WinRar file you downloaded and then click "install" then "ok" & then "done."
    If a window pops up showing the WinRar files just close/exit it out.

2. Install Java -
    This may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer but if you're not sure just install it anyway. It will just update your current version.
    Double-click on the Java file you downloaded and then click "install."
    Uncheck the two boxes in the next window or it will make "ask" your default homepage & search provider.
    Then click "next."
    Click "close" after it installs. It will also ask you to verify java but you can close that window unless you want to verify it.

3. Install Universal Novacom Installer 1.4.1 -
    Double-click on the UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar file you downloaded and then click "Install Novacom."
    Click "ok" after it installs the driver.
    Then close/exit out the window if you see the "Install Novacom" again.
    During installation you may see a black window popup for a few seconds then go away. That's normal.

This is where it gets slightly more advanced...

1. Double-click on webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.part1 file you downloaded
    - WinRar will open the file in a new window
    - Next, you will see a file named webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar (It's the only file in the window)
    - Next, you are going to click on that file once to highlight it. (Don't double-click it. If you double click the file it will open the webos doctor program. If you do open webos doctor by accident you will see a window popup asking you to select your language. Just close it out.)
    - After you click on webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar and see it highlighted look above for the icon that says "view." The icon is a book with reading glasses in front of it. Click "view."
    - It will start extracting & then you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "resources."
    - Double-click "resources"
    - You will see a bunch of files. You want the third one called "webOS.tar"
    - Double-click "webOS.tar"
    - You will see a bunch of files again. You now want the 13th file down called "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
    - Click on it once to highlight it. Then click the icon above that says "Extract To." A window will popup asking you where to save it. I recommend saving it with the other files you've already downloaded to make it easier to find later. Then click "ok."

If you have 3 WinRar windows open you might want to go ahead and exit them out to avoid clutter. You no longer need them.

Next,

- Right-click on the "devicetool" file you downloaded. Notice I said right-click not the normal left-click. After you right-click click on "Open with WinRar."
    - A window will popup & you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "org."
    - Double-click "com"
    - Next, double-click "palm"
    - Next, double-click "webos"
    - Next, double-click "devicetool"
    - Next, double-click "images"
    - You will now see two files named nova-installer-image-castle.uImage & nova-installer-image-pixie.uImage. We want to add a third file. That third file is the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" you just saved to your computer.
    - So, next, click on the icon named "Add." Find the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" file and click "ok." Then click "ok" again and it will add it.
    - Close/exit out that WinRar window

Almost done...

1. Turn off your Touchpad.
    2. Hold the Vol+ and Power buttons at same time on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
    - The Vol+ button is on the left when you hold the Touchpad horizontally.
    3. Plug in your TouchPad to your computer with the USB cable
    4. Open up a command prompt (It's a black window)
    - On Windows 8 it's an App that says Command Prompt
    - Windows 7 How To Open Command Prompt in Windows 7 [Easy, 1 Min]
    or Open a Command Prompt window
    5. Next, you'll be typing a code to execute the devicetool file you downloaded & modified already.

Read below: This is a generic code you have to modify slightly.
    Code:
    java -jar path/to/devicetool.jar
    where "path/to/devicetool.jar" is where you downloaded devicetool.jar to

So, you need to know the path to your devicetool file.
    For example, I saved the devicetool file on my laptop to my "downloads" folder. So, the code I would type in the command prompt is this:
    java -jar c:/users/steven/downloads/devicetool.jar
    - Then hit enter to run it.

The part in bold is what you have to change.

After you hit enter the command prompt will show code like this:

Code:
    C:\>java -jar devicetool.jar
    Found device: topaz-bootie
    Copying ram disk.................
    Rebooting device...
    Configuring device...
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
      8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
      0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Rebooting device...
    Device is ready.
    Your Touchpad will show the HP logo & reboot.

That's it. That fixed mine.

GMMan said this at the end of his instructions when done running the code - "When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot."

I didn't have to do that.

Not sure if there is a quicker or easier to do it & I'm not this will work for everyone it's just how I did it. Hope this can help someone.
    Thanks Fuddy for the clear instructions, I was able to reset my two HP touchpads which are sitting on my desktable as paperweights for months until today.
    The devicetool.jar link is broken. Here is an alternate location to download it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x8illr57t...etool.jar?dl=0
    After several days trying to reactivate my TP, I found your thread and used your detailed instructions. I'm up and running on the first try. Thanks!
    Great to hear!
    I follow this exactly and get an error message when I try to run from the command prompt that says Connection refused connect. What did I do wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by fmeleca View Post
    I follow this exactly and get an error message when I try to run from the command prompt that says Connection refused connect. What did I do wrong?
    If your problem is connecting to the TP via USB, then two possible problems are:
    1. Novacom drivers not installed (or not installed properly)
    2. Faulty USB cable (or possibly, faulty connectors on the TP / computer) Check it against a known good cable (or a new one) or on other hardware (check power AND data transfer).

The other common problem seems to be not setting the correct path when running the java -jar command, but your error message is about a failure to connect, so I assume that bit is correct.

If you continue to have problems, specify your set up (including PC operating system) and the exact point you are at (and the command you are using).
    I am having the same problem, did the factory reset, and wont connect to wifi since there is no more hp server. However i have a chromebook, which does not support all of these bypass downloads. what else can i do to get around this, its very frustrating. plus im bad with technology
    I did the "Erase Apps & Data" from the "Reset Options" on my Touchpad & was faced with the same problem. Gathering information here & following the instructions GMMan gave on another thread I was able to restore my Touchpad to normal working ability. Since the files you need are scattered around & the instructions can be a little difficult to understand for novice users I've hopefully simplified the process.

Hardware:

1. Your HP Touchpad

Files:

32-bit: WinRAR (32-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    64-bit: WinRAR (64-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Java may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer. Go ahead and download if you aren't sure.

Scroll down the page where it says downloads & click on "UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar"

4. webos doctor 3.0.5 - It is 3 parts/files instead of 1 file. Just download all 3 to same location on your laptop or desktop.

Instructions:

1. Install WinRar -
    Double-click on the WinRar file you downloaded and then click "install" then "ok" & then "done."

2. Install Java -
    This may already be installed on your laptop or desktop computer but if you're not sure just install it anyway. It will just update your current version.
    Uncheck the two boxes in the next window or it will make "ask" your default homepage & search provider.
    Then click "next."
    Click "close" after it installs. It will also ask you to verify java but you can close that window unless you want to verify it.

Double-click on the UniversalNovacomInstaller-1.4.1.jar file you downloaded and then click "Install Novacom."
    During installation you may see a black window popup for a few seconds then go away. That's normal.

- Next, you will see a file named webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar (It's the only file in the window)
    - Next, you are going to click on that file once to highlight it. (Don't double-click it. If you double click the file it will open the webos doctor program. If you do open webos doctor by accident you will see a window popup asking you to select your language. Just close it out.)
    - After you click on webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar and see it highlighted look above for the icon that says "view." The icon is a book with reading glasses in front of it. Click "view."
    - It will start extracting & then you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "resources."
    - You will see a bunch of files again. You now want the 13th file down called "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage"
    - Click on it once to highlight it. Then click the icon above that says "Extract To." A window will popup asking you where to save it. I recommend saving it with the other files you've already downloaded to make it easier to find later. Then click "ok."

If you have 3 WinRar windows open you might want to go ahead and exit them out to avoid clutter. You no longer need them.

Next,

- Right-click on the "devicetool" file you downloaded. Notice I said right-click not the normal left-click. After you right-click click on "Open with WinRar."
    - A window will popup & you will see three folders named "com" "META-INF" & "org."
    - Double-click "com"
    - You will now see two files named nova-installer-image-castle.uImage & nova-installer-image-pixie.uImage. We want to add a third file. That third file is the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" you just saved to your computer.
    - So, next, click on the icon named "Add." Find the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" file and click "ok." Then click "ok" again and it will add it.

Almost done...

2. Hold the Vol+ and Power buttons at same time on your TouchPad until the big USB logo is displayed
    5. Next, you'll be typing a code to execute the devicetool file you downloaded & modified already.

Code:

For example, I saved the devicetool file on my laptop to my "downloads" folder. So, the code I would type in the command prompt is this:

Code:
    Rebooting device...
    Configuring device...
    Rebooting device...
    Device is ready.

GMMan said this at the end of his instructions when done running the code - "When you're ready to properly set up your TouchPad, delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot."

Not sure if there is a quicker or easier to do it & I'm not this will work for everyone it's just how I did it. Hope this can help someone.
    I get an error message that says java-jar is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please advise
    I get an error message that says java-jar is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please advise
    Do you have some version of Java installed?

A JAR file should normally run in JAVA, for me it even worked with OpenJAVA on Linux.

Have not done it a long time though

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Does someone have an easier way to bypass the activation screen on the touchpad because all of these instructions seems difficult for me. And the tool that it needs to bypass activation it leads to a broken link
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    There is no other way to bypass activation. The instructions quoted above are for building the modified devicetool jar. This link should work for the tool that is already set up for all (well, hopefully all) devices including the Touchpad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufnzpzvo4p...l_all.jar?dl=0 Just start with the step of putting the Touchpad in recovery mode, and running "java -jar devicetool_all.jar" It won't work if the device is not in recovery mode (big USB symbol).
    i need the devicetoll.jar... i have not founded.... please help me.. i got all to start the process... i just need to find the devicetool.jar

Please advise
    There should be a space between "java" and "-jar".
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Many thanks to fuddy78 and to everyone who participated.
    I just followed instructions and brought my Touchpad back to life.

Now have to try to restore lost apps...but that is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmlis View Post
    Many thanks to fuddy78 and to everyone who participated.
    I just followed instructions and brought my Touchpad back to life.
    Now have to try to restore lost apps...but that is another story.
    You'll need to know the filenames or at least be a good guesser and web researcher but here ya go. https://pivotce.com/2015/12/29/5000-...-more-to-come/

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Hi guys.
    HP Touchpad 16gb wifi, windows 7 64, cmd from administrator.
    When i try to use devicetool in cmd line i see this:
    devtool.JPG
    and thats all.
    Drivers and divices:
    driv.JPG
    what im doing wrong?
    Help me please..
    Quote Originally Posted by 66sick View Post
    Hi guys.
    HP Touchpad 16gb wifi, windows 7 64, cmd from administrator.
    When i try to use devicetool in cmd line i see this:
    devtool.JPG
    and thats all.
    Drivers and divices:
    driv.JPG
    what im doing wrong?
    Help me please..
    They are poorly written commands in cmd.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk
    You're in Windows so just double click devicetool.jar after putting the touchpad in recovery mode and plugging it in via USB. You won't see anything happen in Windows but the tp will reboot.

Sent from my Yotaphone 2 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE

Hardware:

1. Your HP Touchpad

Files:

Instructions:

1. Install WinRar -

2. Install Java -
    Then click "next."

Next,

- Double-click "com"

Almost done...

Code:

Code:
    Rebooting device...
    Configuring device...
    Rebooting device...
    Device is ready.

I had to fix my TP today and your post helped tremendously. I will add though, that the "nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage" file is now built-in to the devicetool. Just so anyone reviewing your post, will not need to get the file out of the doctorpt1. It would be a good idea though for anyone that is at this point, go ahead and retrieve all 3 doctor files. Just to be safe.

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    thanks! This worked!!!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast