Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Hi preemptive

the link you so kindly give us to download the webOS Doctor only gives us what I show in the image.
    I do not see how a link to a webOS-Internals page archived at www.archive.org could redirect to Palm.com. I just clicked the link and this did not happen - I got the option to download the doctor.

I guessed that you had perhaps used the original page and were connecting to Palm.com, so I tried that. In fact, this process still works for me! I have adjusted my HOSTS file to stop redirection to mynewpalm.com and it seems the doctor files are still there! But there's no way to tell how long this option will exist!

Hosts file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fix is:
    23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com

No veo cómo un enlace a una página webOS-Internos archivados en www.archive.org podría redirigir a Palm.com. Me acaba de hacer clic en el vínculo y esto no sucedió - me dieron la opción de descargar el médico.

Supuse que quizá hubiera utilizado la página original y fueron conectando a Palm.com, así que traté de eso. De hecho, este proceso todavía funciona! He ajustado mi archivo HOSTS para detener la redirección a mynewpalm.com y parece los archivos médicos todavía están allí! Pero no hay manera de saber cuánto tiempo va a existir esta opción!

Archivo hosts - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

La solución es añadir estas líneas al archivo hosts:
    23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/17/2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I do not see how a link to a webOS-Internals page archived at www.archive.org could redirect to Palm.com. I just clicked the link and this did not happen - I got the option to download the doctor.

I guessed that you had perhaps used the original page and were connecting to Palm.com, so I tried that. In fact, this process still works for me! I have adjusted my HOSTS file to stop redirection to mynewpalm.com and it seems the doctor files are still there! But there's no way to tell how long this option will exist!

Hosts file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fix is:
    23.4.17.24cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42downloads.help.palm.com

No veo cómo un enlace a una página webOS-Internos archivados en www.archive.org podría redirigir a Palm.com. Me acaba de hacer clic en el vínculo y esto no sucedió - me dieron la opción de descargar el médico.

Supuse que quizá hubiera utilizado la página original y fueron conectando a Palm.com, así que traté de eso. De hecho, este proceso todavía funciona! He ajustado mi archivo HOSTS para detener la redirección a mynewpalm.com y parece los archivos médicos todavía están allí! Pero no hay manera de saber cuánto tiempo va a existir esta opción!

Archivo hosts - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

La solución es añadir estas líneas al archivo hosts:
    23.4.17.24cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42downloads.help.palm.com
    thanks and download the my touchpad and pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkempt Quigley View Post
    Ok, so my brother wants me to bring his HP back to life. Since I already have the files downloaded on my laptop, I should just have to do the steps from where you put the touchpad on usb mode and proceed from there, right?

Problem. I can't get the thing to turn off! Power button doesn't offer me the option to turn it off, have held it down a long time. I tried power button and the button in the center and it seems like it is turned off, but the hp circle is glowing after I let go and it does not ever turn off. Is there another way to get to the usb icon?
    Power and select (center) button held for 15 secs is the standard soft-reset. This is the third of the 5 'T's after throwing away all cards and a restart. 4 is topping off the battery & 5 is tethering and doctoring it.

But if you haven't done the soft reset yet, that might be the only thing you need to be up and running again. You can back everything up if you haven't already.

If that fails, I guess you could wait for the battery to die, then trickle charge (PC USB port or ordinary phone charger - 1A/5V) enough to do the vol+ & power thing for USB mode. Then maybe plug it into the proper TP charger for awhile to get enough juice for the recovery procedures - don't want to do that on a flat battery!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/14/2015 at 06:47 PM.
    if someone needs medical

https://mega.co.nz/#!swYUhDhb : D

Key (copy and paste)

KOmbtG5KgZ3RqnWJgb844uvGPPFWmczsg0cBS8oZWFk
    I could not access devicetool.jar when I tried to download as I clicked on the link provided here in this forum. It opens a new page and says 'access denied'. Please someone help me. I have made a complete reset and I thought I am done when I read Fuddy's column. Everything was OK except when I tried to download devicetool.jar where I got stuck. Please help
    You didn't specify which link you tried to download it from. A few posts back, I posted a dropbox link to the modified jar file that you may have missed. If it's not working, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x8illr57t...etool.jar?dl=0
    Preemptive likes this.
    Has anyone got a picture of the activation error screen?

I don't know if an actual screen grab is possible at that point, but it would be great if there's an image I can use.

Oh, and just to clarify, the step in the instructions about deleting (or not) the skipped first use file - I assume this file would prevent profile set up and the deletion can be skipped because of course, there are no more profiles!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/16/2015 at 10:24 PM.
    Has anyone got a picture of the activation error screen?

I don't know if an actual screen grab is possible at that point, but it would be great if there's an image I can use.

Oh, and just to clarify, the step in the instructions about deleting (or not) the skipped first use file - I assume this file would prevent profile set up and the deletion can be skipped because of course, there are no more profiles!
    Aquí te la dejo. Here

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muru Krish View Post
    I could not access devicetool.jar when I tried to download as I clicked on the link provided here in this forum. It opens a new page and says 'access denied'. Please someone help me. I have made a complete reset and I thought I am done when I read Fuddy's column. Everything was OK except when I tried to download devicetool.jar where I got stuck. Please help
    I tested. I think the Internet Archive-d page which holds the link to devicetool is redirecting to HP - maybe the file isn't archived.

I can get the file using the direct link and the HOSTS file fix
    http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow...devicetool.jar
    https://pivotce.com/2015/06/15/tip-e...d-palm-servers
    FYI, the devicetool jar I linked to has already been modified for the Touchpad, Pre3, Pre2, and Veer.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad Go using Forums
    I have posted a summary of the situation and it's solution.
    Tip: How to Bypass Activation | pivotCE

My attempts to download doctors from HP now go to mynewpalm.com (with HOSTS fix) so I specify the Internet archive for this. The archive link to the device tool redirects and fails, but the direct link to HP still seems to work.

I also point to Grabber5.0's modified device tool. Circumstances where using the tool over the devmode bypass on webOS 2.x devices is useful seem unclear, so I'll leave that until it is clarified (a broken keyboard is one, but strictly speaking, it's a different problem).

I'd also like to know if the final instruction from GMMan,
    delete "/var/luna/preferences/first-use-profile-created" on your TouchPad and reboot.
    is relevant or desirable now the servers are absent. fuddy78 ignores it.

I mainly just point to instructions elsewhere (like this thread of course), but I've not had need to perform this procedure. Post here if I've made any errors.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/24/2015 at 11:43 AM.
    I'd also like to know if the final instruction from GMMan,
    is relevant or desirable now the servers are absent.
    I would say that would not be possible to do if the Touchpad is not already in dev mode
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I would say that would not be possible to do if the Touchpad is not already in dev mode
    I'm not sure and will check if I get a minute. My inclination would be to use Internalz (master mode) to delete - though I suppose it could be done from the connected PC.

I should have been clearer - my guess is that this is the 'doctor skipped first use' thing. Maybe a dummy file to take the place of a Palm profile file on the device which also blocks the ability to login? Previously deletion would enable login or profile creation. So I'm thinking deleting or not may be irrelevant or maybe retaining the file has some use (stability?)

But I have no confirmed idea what it is or what it does, so...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laniadoje View Post
    Hey Fuddy,
    I got most way through before experiencing an error with my command prompt and executing the devicetool.jar file. See the attached screen shot.
    Any ideas?
    Possible solution to this error? Please help me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffex19 View Post
    that bug you?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffex19 View Post
    There was no confirmation from the poster, but my 'solution' is here: HP TP Server Error

I suggested user error. According to the image she posted, she was trying to run devicetool.jar in C:\users\laniado

But the file is located in C:\users\laniado\desktop

I think the correct command (for that example) is: java -jar \desktop\devicetool.jar

fuddy78's original instructions say to modify the path to wherever your copy of the file is located.

The other option (for the above again) would be to type: cd desktop [enter], then just do: java -jar devicetool.jar

You give no details, so I can't give a specific reply, but if this works, please confirm. (and if anyone knows it to be wrong, tell me to delete my posts!)
    Some queries on this are from people who have doctored or bought a doctored device, not knowing about the defunct servers. Some are from those whose devices have 'spontaneously' reset.

I wonder if anyone has suggestions of how to avoid the reset in the first place. I think I've read in the past that there are warnings of low memory. I guess if I was presented with some kind of "Your phone will reset" message and no way to back out, I'd pull the battery (hoping for breathing space), boot up and get into dev mode ASAP. Then I'd copy off /media/cryptofs over USB and any other backing up I could do before the message reappeared. I've no idea if that's even possible.

Is it possible to cancel or defer the reset?

Also, does anyone know how far the reset goes? If user data is dumped, what of the OS? Do patches remain? Should a reset device be doctored to ensure there's no conflicts (other than original bugs!). Is there the slightest possibility that profile data and apps are still in storage and could be extracted immediately before being overwritten?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/21/2015 at 12:19 AM.
    A reset is the same as erase all apps and data, but not USB. Does not affect patches, but it does erase the installed package list, so Preware won't report them as patched/installed. Emergency patch recovery or AUSMT recovery may help, but doctor is the most reliable.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Preemptive likes this.
    Some queries on this are from people who have doctored or bought a doctored device, not knowing about the defunct servers. Some are from those whose devices have 'spontaneously' reset.

I wonder if anyone has suggestions of how to avoid the reset in the first place. I think I've read in the past that there are warnings of low memory. I guess if I was presented with some kind of "Your phone will reset" message and no way to back out, I'd pull the battery (hoping for breathing space), boot up and get into dev mode ASAP. Then I'd copy off /media/cryptofs over USB and any other backing up I could do before the message reappeared. I've no idea if that's even possible.

Is it possible to cancel or defer the reset?

Also, does anyone know how far the reset goes? If user data is dumped, what of the OS? Do patches remain? Should a reset device be doctored to ensure there's no conflicts (other than original bugs!). Is there the slightest possibility that profile data and apps are still in storage and could be extracted immediatley before being overwritten?
    Are you referring to the very nasty "application database is full" error? That error soon leads to a forced reset. There's a nice discussion of how to avoid that in Workaround for Application Database is Full error, which links to MojoDB Partition Resize.

Also, there's an added part to the last article, which points out if you have to resize the MojoDB partition, you will probably run into another problem which prevents you from sending emails or texts:

If you are resizing your Partition like this you will most likely run into this problem next DB_quota_exceeded, so for awareness it could be worth reading that page too.

Unfortunately when I read (and used) the article that part hadn't been added, so when my email accounts stopped working a few weeks ago I ending up doctoring w/out the app backups I thought I had.
    I am at the very last part and don't know what to type in the Command Prompt because I don't know the path to the devicetool2.jar. All I know is it's in WinRAR and tp_activate(1).zip but have no idea what to type in past java -jar. Can someone please help me understand what to type to get my friends HP tablet operational again? Sadly, I've been at it for the past 5 hours.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast