Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  
    Touchpad has worked great for years now.

A couple weeks ago, I hit the rotation lock button on the system menu and oddly after hitting it, the words "Turn off Rotation Lock" disappeared from the button. The icon would remain. But the place where the words were would be blank and the button would no longer work. If I rebooted, the button would return normally, but again if I'd actually hit it, it would work on the first tap but then the words would disappear and it wouldn't work again. Very annoying since I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to change the rotation lock status.

I then noticed a similar thing was happening with the Mute button too. I also noticed airplane mode would not work although the button itself always looked normal. All the other system menu buttons worked completely properly.

Then somehow, it got fixed suddenly. I tried a few things to fix it. I did hard restarts. I let the battery go to 0 and then recharged fully. None of them seemed to work. And then when it suddenly started working properly I had no idea what had fixed it. But I was just happy it was fixed.

For a couple weeks it worked perfectly again.

Then the other day, out of nowhere, completely randomly as far as I can tell, the same problem started again and I can't get the system menu back to working completely normally again.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, especially so seemingly randomly? Any idea what I could look into to figure it out? And any idea how to fix it? I really do not want to reinstall the system or anything like that since I have a lot of customization set up on this. And it already fixed itself once before without needing to do that so I'm hoping to do the same this time.

I really appreciate any help.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    What kind of patches or other things do you have in place to customize the top bar and menus?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3.    #3  
    As far as I know, I don't have any patches to customize the top bar and menus. I certainly never remember putting any for that purpose. The system menu looks the same as it did when I first got the touchpad years ago. It has never changed at all as far as I recall. It has looked the same now for several years and never had any problem. And it still looks exactly the same as ever now when I first boot it up. It is only after I tap the rotation lock button or mute button that anything changes when the words on the buttons go blank and they stop working. Once I reboot, it's back to normal, rinse and repeat.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Using LunaCE?

5.    #5  
    No I'm not using LunaCE, at least not that I know of. I am pretty sure this is just the normal default WebOS system menu. I've never changed anything with the system menu at all since I first got the Touchpad. I do have a bunch of preware on it, but I don't have LunaCE on it. And most importantly, nothing at all changed before the first time the system menu started acting oddly, before it started working perfectly again or before it started acting up again. At least nothing I can remember.

Thanks for the responses so far. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to figure this out.
    Seems to lost touch functions on top of corner. Try to re-flash it with WQI. Very simple......
    Connect WQI and run command

Stop hidd
    PmTpUpdater -f
    Start hidd

Can see lot of numbers revised on the PC screen.....
    Last edited by lemanho; 04/08/2015 at 09:55 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Connect WQI and run command

Stop hidd
    PmTpUpdater -f
    Start hidd

Can see lot of numbers revised on the PC screen.....
    Lemanho, thanks for the response.

I've never done something like this. Last time, out of nowhere, the correct functions returned fully. I was hoping that would happen this time but it hasn't.

If I try the suggestion you offered here, is it going to undo my various settings and customizations? That's why I've been avoiding reinstalling something. I was really hoping to just specifically fix this menu item without messing up anything else.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Lemanho's suggestion, will in a sense recalibrate the touchscreen.

This should not have any effect on any programs patches or whatsoever.

Although, I do not see a direct connection with the UI being incomplete, it cannot hurt to give a try.

10.    #10  
    OK I tried doing what lemanho suggested. It was worth a shot, but it didn't change anything.

I'm not surprised since, as you said horzel, that seems to have more to do with recalibrating the screen. But the screen is calibrated and works perfectly in general. And in fact every time I reboot, even the problem with the Rotation Lock and mute buttons is fixed. So it isn't like there is an overall screen calibration issue. It's that once I actually use those buttons, the words go blank on them and they stop working soon after.

Also like I said, airplane mode isn't working. So this isn't really a screen calibration issue. Something deeper is going on.

What should I try next. Very quirky and frustrating problem.
  11.    #11  
    Does anyone have any other ideas on this? The problem is still occurring and it's very frustrating not being able to turn rotation lock or mute on and off normally.
  12.    #12  
    Well twice this week my Touchpad got stuck on the boot HP logo. First time I somehow managed to get it back working. But second time I couldn't.

So I had to do WebOSDoctor which got it back up and running. But I couldn't bypass the activation until I followed Fuddy's advice here:

HP TP Server Error

After all that, the menu items I mentioned in this thread all work normally again. I never did figure out why it was doing what it did, but I guess it's moot for now.
    My Touchpad started doing the same thing today. I've also been getting a "Too Many Cards" error when no cards are open.
    Now my Touchpad won't boot up. It gets stuck on the HP logo screen. I can't even power it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchpadTim View Post
    Touchpad has worked great for years now.

A couple weeks ago, I hit the rotation lock button on the system menu and oddly after hitting it, the words "Turn off Rotation Lock" disappeared from the button. The icon would remain. But the place where the words were would be blank and the button would no longer work. If I rebooted, the button would return normally, but again if I'd actually hit it, it would work on the first tap but then the words would disappear and it wouldn't work again. Very annoying since I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to change the rotation lock status.

I then noticed a similar thing was happening with the Mute button too. I also noticed airplane mode would not work although the button itself always looked normal. All the other system menu buttons worked completely properly.

Then somehow, it got fixed suddenly. I tried a few things to fix it. I did hard restarts. I let the battery go to 0 and then recharged fully. None of them seemed to work. And then when it suddenly started working properly I had no idea what had fixed it. But I was just happy it was fixed.

For a couple weeks it worked perfectly again.

Then the other day, out of nowhere, completely randomly as far as I can tell, the same problem started again and I can't get the system menu back to working completely normally again.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, especially so seemingly randomly? Any idea what I could look into to figure it out? And any idea how to fix it? I really do not want to reinstall the system or anything like that since I have a lot of customization set up on this. And it already fixed itself once before without needing to do that so I'm hoping to do the same this time.

I really appreciate any help.
    My problem was similar to yours, but I couldn't even power down my Touchpad to run WebOS Doctor. So I did a google search on "hp touchpad will not power down stuck on hp logo", and found some info on the old HP WebOS support forum site. It was instructions to do a full erase, which at this point I was willing to try anything to get something on the screen other than the HP logo.

When I held down the power + volume down + center button simultaneously and the instructions stated, the screen went blank for a second or two but the HP logo showed up again. I repeated the step two times. Same thing, blank screen and HP logo. I gave up and forgot about it. To my surprise, a few minutes later, my Touchpad had booted up! All of my apps were still there!

The HP WebOS support forum mentioned a boot issue when the battery drains down too low. I'd never had this problem before because I would always put my Touchpad on the Touchstone when not using it. But I didn't do that recently, and the battery drained down completely. I'm guessing I tried to boot up the Touchpad and didn't have enough battery to complete the boot.

Here's the link to the HP WebOS forum: http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/...e/page_en.html
    Last edited by purplepansy; 08/29/2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the link in the original post.
    Just a note that today my WiFi TP 'Rotation' locked into standard Portrait mode on boot-up.. and would not alter this behaviour despite hard restarts & diagnostics tests etc (here the test just read 'No Response' @ 'Screen Test'!

Out of desperation I recalled that the last App I had installed recently was 'WiFi Scanner', so uninstalled it to find (Auto) 'Rotation' functional again and back to normal behaviour.

Co-incidence or relevant? I don't know for sure.. but hence the note here anyhow.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    short reply here: webOS WiFI NetworkScanner

For now I'm filing the association under coincidence...unless there are further reports (or if I can reproduce it myself)
    Last edited by Misj'; 01/16/2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Mutoidi likes this.