Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By bluenote
  1.    #1  
    I have a 16gb Touchpad in near perfect condition. It's just collecting dust. I'm thinking of giving it to a low tech user instead of buying them a Kindle Fire. The only needs are Facebook, Kindle, Web Surfing, and maybe Netflix. Would the best option be an Android version dual boot? I don't want to be tech support for this person. Just work baby. Seems most of the HP apps are dead. Please advise opinions.
    Fb apps don't work with webOS anymore. Netflix never did. The rest would be fine in webOS. If the first two are deal breakers for webOS then a dual boot with Android is probably your best bet. Read up on tptoolbox. Super easy way to do it.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I don't use it, but I think facebook is accessible via the browser. For setting up, the links in my signature have information about some issues and their fixes. To avoid tech support, you can direct your friend to this forum and pivotCE, specifically,
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2 | pivotCE

It doesn't take a huge range of tech skills to maintain webOS - it's mainly installing patches. There will be a limited number of apps available soon, so if you can back up what you have or encourage the new owner to grab any free apps before the 15th and back them up, that will increase the usefulness of the device.
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE
    Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

If the recipient of your TP enjoys the webOS experience, then there is the future possibility of running LuneOS on the tablet. As stated above, dual-booting Android can fill the gaps in app & service availabililty.
    BorkZorkOrc likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I don't use it, but I think facebook is accessible via the browser. For setting up, the links in my signature have information about some issues and their fixes. To avoid tech support, you can direct your friend to this forum and pivotCE, specifically,
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2 | pivotCE

It doesn't take a huge range of tech skills to maintain webOS - it's mainly installing patches. There will be a limited number of apps available soon, so if you can back up what you have or encourage the new owner to grab any free apps before the 15th and back them up, that will increase the usefulness of the device.
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE
    Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

If the recipient of your TP enjoys the webOS experience, then there is the future possibility of running LuneOS on the tablet. As stated above, dual-booting Android can fill the gaps in app & service availabililty.
    What is the Lune OS? Maybe I'll keep the TP and use it myself if I can get some new life out of it.
    I'd use tptoolbox and dual boot with webOS or delete webOS out if you don't find a need for it and install a stable version of android by jcsullins of kitkat 4.4.4 for them.

This would be the most ideal out of the box fool proof method for a user to have a stable browser, email, facebook app etc. I think.

webOS is good, but for a user who don't plan on tweaking it themselves to "just make things work"...this seems the way to go to me.

LuneOS is an option, but at this stage in the game its pretty alpha in status. I installed it and you can do a whole lot on it as a daily device yet.

For me, my ideal setup is my Triple boot Preemptive linked to above. I put in cm12, kept webOS and installed LuneOS too. I default boot into cm12 (android lollipop) but its fun having webOS & LuneOS to tinker with occasionally, and not lose them completely. (this might work for you if you want to keep the tablet yourself and get some usage out of it)
    Last edited by ryancell; 03/09/2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I use Android 4.4.4 most of the time in order to get several messaging apps running which will not work with WebOS. But my impression is: The things which can be done with both (WebOS and Android) run smoother and better on WebOS.

Best regards

Fred
    Kobethecat any update on what you did?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Let's face it, WebOS on the TP is dead. We all loved it, it worked better than Android, and many of the apps were beautiful. But HP killed it. Time to abandon ship.

I've had dual-boot Android and WebOS on my TP for 2 years, and it still works very well as an Android tablet. I use it on a daily basis, but I boot WebOS less and less often - not for months now. I'll be removing WebOS as soon as I muster up enough time and energy to perform the operation.

I was experimenting with iOS 8 on the iPad a few days ago, and I see that Apple has copied many of the ideas from WebOS, including the card view for multi-tasking, and the gestures to swipe between cards and swipe cards off the screen to terminate the app. Did HP strike a deal with Apple for royalties on the UI design?
    Except, it's not dead. No longer maintained, but my two Touchpads work very well thank you.
    BorkZorkOrc and Rnp like this.
    Even if one uses android, i would advise to keep webOS on as android can break with the updates to google play etc. if it is stuck in bootloop, then webOS is a great option to get into tablet to repair. Also webOS can be connected to mac as usb, the newer androids and the kindle fires have to use some intermediary software--if I am pulling something down in android, i save to the webos partition or I go into the webOS partition to quickly move files around in android or webOS.
    MudShark22 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Let's face it, WebOS on the TP is dead. We all loved it, it worked better than Android, and many of the apps were beautiful. But HP killed it. Time to abandon ship.

I've had dual-boot Android and WebOS on my TP for 2 years, and it still works very well as an Android tablet. I use it on a daily basis, but I boot WebOS less and less often - not for months now. I'll be removing WebOS as soon as I muster up enough time and energy to perform the operation.

I was experimenting with iOS 8 on the iPad a few days ago, and I see that Apple has copied many of the ideas from WebOS, including the card view for multi-tasking, and the gestures to swipe between cards and swipe cards off the screen to terminate the app. Did HP strike a deal with Apple for royalties on the UI design?
    I agree Android on the Touchpad is actually a really good alternative, especially if the use is really basic web surfing and facebooking needs. It runs quite smooth and I've never had an issue with it. It's a great way to re purpose the touchpad if you don't have need for it anymore.