Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 1969tc
  • 2 Post By Sumy
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  1.    #1  
    I'm a little worry about the health of my touchpads battery.
    DrBattery shows me a health of 89%.

How is your TouchPad Battery health? Has anybody experienses with replacing the battery?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    I'm a little worry about the health of my touchpads battery.
    DrBattery shows me a health of 89%.

How is your TouchPad Battery health? Has anybody experienses with replacing the battery?
    89% would not (yet) worry me. Two weeks ago I checked mine in dr.Battery, and it states that it's 81%...which does start to worry me.

However, I have not noticed anything weird about the battery-consumption, and I still get through the day when I use it normally (I have no touchstone, so it's off power most of the day, and get's powered up during the night) the same way I always have. There are no weird power-drops or anything (yet), but yeah...81%.

I was actually hoping this was something 'your' repair service had some experience with...should things start to go awry.
    I'm down to 80% but still get 4 hours on a charge.
    Terry
    Robbycop likes this.
    This must have been asked in the past: Aside from the difficulty of opening the TP and disconnecting the battery, are there any viable options for replacement? Is the battery pack a standardised or custom form?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This must have been asked in the past: Aside from the difficulty of opening the TP and disconnecting the battery, are there any viable options for replacement? Is the battery pack a standardised or custom form?
    There are many original batteries available on ebay or other online shops.
    Check for the prices first, before you buy it, as they range from 20 USD to 220 USD for the same specifications.

When searching use the following keywords:
    HP Part No.: 635574-001, 635574-002, or 649649-001
    HSTNH-I29C, HSTNH-129C, HSTNH F29C-S
    capacity 6000 mAh

and follow this this instructions https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touc...placement/6082
    Preemptive and Misj' like this.
    Global Posts
    512 Global Posts
    Dr.Battery says 94% health, but it is certainly wrong. My Touchpad can stand not more than 1.5 hour of reading (Kindle) combined with some music listening. Sad.
    So I assume real health is 20% maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmlis View Post
    Dr.Battery says 94% health, but it is certainly wrong. My Touchpad can stand not more than 1.5 hour of reading (Kindle) combined with some music listening. Sad.
    So I assume real health is 20% maximum.
    Dr. Battery only tells you what the battery is showing. You may have a problem of an app using all the power.
    I'll have to check, but it is starting to die much faster than it used to. (checked... 90%)

But thanks to the whole debrick experience I've had, I've taken one of my Touchpads apart over and over... and it's not that hard to do but lots and lots of step to get to the hidden connector.

I had bought a spare battery at the time, so I should be fine.

The hardest part is to pop the clips without breaking them so to pop the screen off, then to be gentle to not do any damage to the cables.

The battery is really stupidly placed, in that you may have to take the whole bottom section apart to get to the connector.

OR you can cheat a bit by being a bit risky (At your own risks, but will skip step 17 to 27 of the ifixit guide (link below))

Instead of taking everything apart, once you see the battery, remove any tape or such that is holding it on this side, note that the battery is held in place by double-sided tape on the other side, so you will have to pull it off. Then once you have the battery in hand and only the wires (connector) holding it, by applying a bit of force on the board to lift the area where the connector is (on the other side) you can pull on the battery cables and disconnect the plug and get the battery out, Then get the new one replugged in the same way and be done.

But if you're doing to do this, be extremely gentle, and don't use a metal tool if possible, the last thing you want is to crack the board.

Once you've done it, you'll see that it's actually very easy.. I ended up doing it several times during my work on my Touchpad.

Between this and the risk of damaging the several other cables and connectors (much smaller), plus forgetting to do something, etc.... I consider it a decent risk if you're careful.

I did a simple graphic to illustrate the clips: http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...dgets/clip.jpg

Please note that there are several of these clips around the frame..

Please find these wonderful instructions for a photo guide (not mine).

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Touc...placement/6082
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 03/03/2015 at 05:43 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Global Posts
    512 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Dr. Battery only tells you what the battery is showing. You may have a problem of an app using all the power.
    May be. But just two apps are running, as I mentioned. Reboot doesn't help.
    In the first 2 years of usage, it was at least 5 hours in the same scenario.
    one option is to install Govnah and check the stats that could indicate the power usage.

Also get JSTop, that will show you what's running (in both front and background)

You can do a cleanup (using top left menu, tap "Garbage collect Javascript heap") and even close any background apps handles that you don't want to have running..

Don't worry about closing the wrong thing, if you do, it's just crash the Touchpad and reboots it and you'll know that you don't close "that" one..
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    512 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    one option is to install Govnah and check the stats that could indicate the power usage.

Also get JSTop, that will show you what's running (in both front and background)

You can do a cleanup (using top left menu, tap "Garbage collect Javascript heap") and even close any background apps handles that you don't want to have running..

Don't worry about closing the wrong thing, if you do, it's just crash the Touchpad and reboots it and you'll know that you don't close "that" one..
    Thanks for advise. Will try.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have been running Android 100% the for over a year and it depends on the build how long it lasts.

The CM 11 latest build can go on for six hours of constant use and not run out. Other builds will die very quickly.
    I've insured against battery decline by buying three touchstone chargers which are located around the house at the points where I might want to use the TP - they were stupidly cheap on eBay (all gone now I think).

But - if the battery dies altogether, do we know whether the Touchstone on its own will keep the TP going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    I've insured against battery decline by buying three touchstone chargers which are located around the house at the points where I might want to use the TP - they were stupidly cheap on eBay (all gone now I think).

But - if the battery dies altogether, do we know whether the Touchstone on its own will keep the TP going?
    I can`t be 100% certain, but from my experience during my "battle to revive my Touchpad" I would believe that if the battery is 100% dead, the Touchpad will probably no longer turn on, a possible "best scenario" you'll get a large battery icon (please charge) that would prevent you from getting to the main screen.

I'm basing this on the fact that if you take the battery out, neither having it plugged in or on the Touchstone worked to get the Touchpad going. Note that my reasoning is based on the fact that with a corrupted charging circuit, the Touchpad won't operate at all even if you plug it in, on Touchstone, recharge the battery externally, etc., but the battery is part of the Touchpad's core system, so completely dead battery would be like removing a required module.

I've had a few other devices that were like this, where a dead battery would cause the device to no longer turn on even if plugged in.
    I see a pattern...
    Is anyone producing new batteries or are they all NOS? Unless someone decides to put in the time and effort to remanufacture them, I guess we are all facing dead TP's in the not too distant future. I would be open to buying a few and if it would save a few bucks, transfer the connector from my old battery to a new one. (If possible)

I have always hated the fact that a lot of new devices will not run at all without the battery. My Blackberry especially as it will not re-connect to the cell network until the battery charges up to a certain degree even though it is connected to constant power, and at least one of my laptops have this wonderful feature.
    Firesale Wifi TP sitting @ 89% health - 5885mAh.
    Later 4G TP sitting at 92% health - 6083mAh.

I always try to keep the battery 'topped up' where possible and shut the device down at about 40% charge if storing for any length of time, preferably in a cool place.

Total TP battery life is 'X' amount of full charge/discharge cycles - many hundreds, if not thousands anyhow - so a 50% discharge followed by a 50% charge to refill the battery, would count as half a cycle etc.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I can`t be 100% certain, but from my experience during my "battle to revive my Touchpad" I would believe that if the battery is 100% dead, the Touchpad will probably no longer turn on, a possible "best scenario" you'll get a large battery icon (please charge) that would prevent you from getting to the main screen.

I'm basing this on the fact that if you take the battery out, neither having it plugged in or on the Touchstone worked to get the Touchpad going. Note that my reasoning is based on the fact that with a corrupted charging circuit, the Touchpad won't operate at all even if you plug it in, on Touchstone, recharge the battery externally, etc., but the battery is part of the Touchpad's core system, so completely dead battery would be like removing a required module.

I've had a few other devices that were like this, where a dead battery would cause the device to no longer turn on even if plugged in.
    Were there any TP's not affected by the charging circuit issue? ( Thinking the 64GB or the Go.) Just curious.
    Random factoid:

Re: "Total TP battery life is 'X' amount of full charge/discharge cycles - many hundreds, if not thousands anyhow..."

The old NiCad batteries were good for about 500 recharge cycles. I don't know how many licks the newer batteries take, and I don't recall seeing an estimate any better than the quote above... I assume the chemistry is well-documented somewhere.