1.    #1  
    Is it possible to flash or port Tizen OS onto the HP Touchpad??
    Interesting question, but I suspect the answer is no. Some Touchpads were released with Android. (this may have been HP's plan prior to acquiring webOS) These open drivers enable Android and other systems written to use these drivers to run on the TP. LuneOS is an extensive rewrite of Open webOS to rebase on Android drivers because the original webOS drivers are proprietary (that would have restricted OpenwebOS to webOS hardware - no longer produced or possibly Linux supported H/W (rare in the mobile world). I'm not sure how the Linux distros work - I guess it's either by using the Android drivers or the fact that webOS is basically Linux, so perhaps a little modification at a higher level is sufficient.

Tizen is also basically Linux as I understand it, so there might be some compatibility, but I suppose it also may depend on drivers. If Tizen is highly compatible with Android and can use those drivers, then it may be possible. Otherwise you'd need Tizen drivers for the TP...

I expect someone more expert will comment. But the next question to ask is what is the advantage? Aside from not being largely controlled by Google, does Tizen have any advantages over Android?
    This may be a silly question, but the proprietary WebOS drivers, are they proprietary HP or the hardware manufacturers?
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    This may be a silly question, but the proprietary WebOS drivers, are they proprietary HP or the hardware manufacturers?
    I'd heard that at least some of them are proprietary by the hardware component manufacturers
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Proprietary, as in... Qualcomm owns the source code to most Pre3, Veer and Touchpad drivers, so all we (end-users) have for our own use is a copyrighted binary blob that cannot be easily modified, and for the exception of the Touchpad, Android drivers never made it out of the lab.

Qualcomm has the chip schematics, various other documentation and largely refuses to share it unless you are an OEM and willing to pay several thousand $ for an engineering sample.

So we were really blessed when someone in China found and sold an Android-powered TP prototype that was later used for developing CyanogenMod, but it still doesn't change the fact that those drivers cannot be modified and recompiled for a newer version of the Linux kernel. And BTW, this kernel version stuff is why LuneOS had to have so much work put into various rewrites... legacy webOS runs on the 2.6 kernel and Open webOS was released with something above 3.0.