Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 3 Post By horzel
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi everyone I picked up a 32gb touchpad. I would like to learn more about the webos operating system. Are many people using this operating system? Im not really interested in putting android on this. Is there any support for the operating system still? Like maybe a newer browser that is compatible with more pages? Or is support pretty much dead?
    Well, we still support it, as a community. Outside of that, there's no support, HP is pulling the plug on cloud services (including activation servers and App Catalog) on January 15th.

But that's given us a chance to reorganize without the burden of HP's zombie involvement (supervised neglect) and potential copyright claims hanging over our heads. The future is looking a lot better with community-hosted cloud services and up-to-date ROMs (Doctors), patched for all security holes and API changes that have arisen since the last released OTA update.

So welcome and please do hang around, ask all the questions you want
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I tried to download a copy of webos doctor but I get a redirect to the future palm website. I mainly would like to use the tablet for web browsing and email. Youtube would be a bonus. I do webinars online as well but I can use my android tablet for that because it uses gotomeeting.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Will all of the free apps on the hp catalog be archived somewhere? If not is there a list of must have apps? Mine is pretty much empty and would like to install some good apps before they potentially disappear.
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob311 View Post
    Hi everyone I picked up a 32gb touchpad. I would like to learn more about the webos operating system. Are many people using this operating system? Im not really interested in putting android on this. Is there any support for the operating system still? Like maybe a newer browser that is compatible with more pages? Or is support pretty much dead?
    Hi, Happy New Year!

This thread is for you: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ourselves.html

The Pre 3 and HP TouchPad in 2014 | pivotCE

Handy checklists for getting your device up and running:
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2 | pivotCE

I'm afraid you're too late to buy apps, but you could find a spare few hours to download the free stuff in the catalogue and back them up for the future.
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE
    Some apps have moved to the gallery here: http://www.webOSnation.com/apps and there is a feed to Preware so you can installed directly on device.

Main Page - WebOS Internals is good for technical stuff and they produced the system manager upgrade for the TouchPad, LunaCE.

When webOS was open-sourced, WebOS-Ports was formed to bring it to new devices and their labours are begining to bear fruit: LuneOS | pivotCE
    Remy X and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    So are there any paid apps that are a must have? If so, why is it they are no longer available. Can't they just be made free or sold somewhere else?
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob311 View Post
    So are there any paid apps that are a must have? If so, why is it they are no longer available. Can't they just be made free or sold somewhere else?
    All developers should have gotten ntice from HP that the servers will be shutdown.

But most of them will probably not even know we still exist.

The developers should decide whether they will offer them through a different store or for free.

Now the community here has been reaching out to what they think are developers of valuable apps and asked them if they would think it over on how to continue.

One active developer is creating his own webstore, a lot of others have announced that they will make there apps available after 15th of january, some already have. For those that have, a lot have taken the possibility to offer their apps though the webosnation website.

Now why some offer only after 15th? Legal things with HP ar restricting them from doing so before.

Concerning the apps published here, they should go through to the feed available in preware, but the link between the preware feed and webosnation is not up and running at the moment. Process was activated manually a week or two ago, so some will show, but not those added later. People are looking into getting the process up again, but they did not give us an ETA.

So a lot has been done, all this info is on the forum, but might be spread over a lot of threads, so that is why my summary.

Also some people have been archiving the free apps, by using some of the methods described in some threads. BUT legally, nobody but the original publisher can state whether those apps can be redistributed.

So if there is a specific app you are looking for, see whether the developer/publisher is active here and how they will continue. See whether somebody here has erached out to the developer and whether we got a reply. If you cannot find info for your app, ask on the forums whether somebody looked into that app. If not, try to contact the developer in a friendly way and see how they react.

Regards,