Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I don't know exactly what happened, but from one day to the other my HP Touchpad suddenly wouldn't switch on. I tried everything I could find on the internet about the problem - nothing worked. It was completely dead. Suspecting it was a battery problem I bought a new battery on eBay and replaced the battery. After replacing the battery, I switched the touchpad on and low and behold, it came to life. It showed a battery symbol with a question mark in it.

But the odd thing is, that symbol stays there and no matter what I try, I can't even switch the touchpad off. I tried every button combination. Nothing works. I had to physically remove the battery again to get it to switch off.

So anybody any ideas what I can try next?
    Try Rootzwiki TPdebrick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy1970 View Post
    I don't know exactly what happened, but from one day to the other my HP Touchpad suddenly wouldn't switch on. I tried everything I could find on the internet about the problem - nothing worked. It was completely dead. Suspecting it was a battery problem I bought a new battery on eBay and replaced the battery. After replacing the battery, I switched the touchpad on and low and behold, it came to life. It showed a battery symbol with a question mark in it.

But the odd thing is, that symbol stays there and no matter what I try, I can't even switch the touchpad off. I tried every button combination. Nothing works. I had to physically remove the battery again to get it to switch off.

So anybody any ideas what I can try next?
    Probably is A6 firmware failure, battery and question mark are white ?

a.) You can download latest version of TPToolbox is v40 released on 2014-05-18, files is TPToolbox-2014-05-18-v40.zip
    [TOOLS] Touchpad Toolbox | HP TouchPad | XDA Forums (links are at the beginning)
    - put device in to recovery mode (volume up + power)
    - unzip zip file to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\
    - run tptb_v40_win.bat (you must have novacom installed (c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\), it will memboot TPToolbox,
    - after you can select Reflash A6 Firmware.
    - than reboot

b.) you can mem boot uImage which you can extract from toucchpad doctor (download doctor, rename jar to zip, navigate to resources\WebOS.tar (open tar file) and copy nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\
    - put device in to recovery mode (volume up + power)
    - than in command prompt navigate to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\ and type novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage + hit enter, device will boot
    - again in command prompt type novacom -t open tty:// + hit enter, you can than hit enter another time to see if you are connected to device
    than type PmA6Updater -a + hit enter after a while A6 firmware should be updated
    that type reboot
    Remy X and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thank you for your answer!

I hadn't touched the TouchPad since yesterday and today I can't even get the battery icon to appear. No matter what I try, the TouchPad won't turn on. I thought it was switched off but apparently it wasn't and now this battery seems to have drained beyond the point where it will turn on.

Let me elaborate a bit.

After I had replaced the battery, the first time I was able to switch the TP on simply by pressing the POWER button. I immediately got the bat/question mark icon. But I wasn't able to switch it off. I had to physically remove the battery again to get the TP to switch off.

After that, just pressing the POWER button to switch the TP on didn't work anymore. I found out that the only way to get it to switch on, was to press the POWER/VOL DOWN/HOME button for 15 seconds. After that, the bat/question mark icon would appear. But again I was unable to switch if off. Pressing POWER/VOL DOWN/HOME looked like it was only resetting the TP (icon would briefly disappear only to reappear after a few seconds).

I then found out that if I pressed POWER/VOL DOWN/HOME while it was connected (to a power source or the PC through USB), it would switch off. And to switch it back on again, I just had to remove the USB cable and do the POWER/VOL DOWN/HOME thing again.

Anyway, that's how I switched it off the last time by pressing POWER/VOL DOWN/HOME while it was connected to its charger. But now a day later, it won't switch on again. So I'm guessing it wasn't switched off at all and the battery has now completely drained again.

So before I can try to reflash the A6 firmware, I need to get it back to life again. Anyone any ideas about that?
    Try this way....Look for a universal charger which work for mobile phone battery ( Output 4.2V 200-300mA). connect red wire to + and black wire to -. And charge the TP battery over 24 hours. (when the green light no shinning that means full). put the full battery back to TP and turn it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I tried a 4.5V 1A charger. Charged it for a few hours then measured the voltage between the red and black wires. It measured 0V...
    That's disappointing..

But since you now have two batteries, the new and the old, have you tried charging the other one?
    I tried a 4.5V 1A charger. Charged it for a few hours then measured the voltage between the red and black wires. It measured 0V...
    Battery probably has a protection circuit to cut off the power when the cell is below the certain voltage. Sometimes it can take really long time to get battery back to life (24 hours or more).
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    That's disappointing..

But since you now have two batteries, the new and the old, have you tried charging the other one?
    Yes, you can try charging first battery, it is probably OK, just your A6 firmware died.
    A full battery is 4.2V. must use small mA charger.. Can not use 1A. Also can not check the HP battery voltage by red and black wires(it will show 0V).Or you can cut battery black paper to check Voltage without protect board. It should be below 3.0V.

Keep charge it over 24 hours with a small mA charger .
    Remy X and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    I am fixing a dead BB playbook device . Can not charge the battery from USB port. (The protect board of battery is locked). So cut the battery paper and charge it directly (Without the board).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    That's disappointing..

I don't think so. Can not charge the old battery in his touchpad. That's why he bought a new battery....
    Actually the old battery is no problem and work fine if re-active it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Do I need a special LiPo charger? Or will any charger do as long as it's the proper voltage/amperage?
    Do I need a special LiPo charger? Or will any charger do as long as it's the proper voltage/amperage?
    lemanho is using universal battery charger, but any other with the right voltage and low current will do as the battery itself has PCB to regulate charging.
    If you plan to charge cell directly than you would need a special LiPo charger.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So after charging the battery (with an external adapter) for about 3 days, I put the battery back in the touchpad and I got the white battery with question mark again.

But no matter what I try, I can't get it in recovery mode. As soon as I connect it to my PC, I can't even switch it on. And pressing power + vol up (for any amount of time) doesn't do anything.

Oddly enough, I do see the home button blink now when I hook it up to my PC so I think I will let it sit like this for some time.
    So after charging the battery (with an external adapter) for about 3 days, I put the battery back in the touchpad and I got the white battery with question mark again.

But no matter what I try, I can't get it in recovery mode. As soon as I connect it to my PC, I can't even switch it on. And pressing power + vol up (for any amount of time) doesn't do anything.

Oddly enough, I do see the home button blink now when I hook it up to my PC so I think I will let it sit like this for some time.
    Try to reset it home + power (20-30 seconds) and than a few seconds latter hold volume up + power
    or connect it to the USB cable, press volume up + power and connect the battery
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Try to reset it home + power (20-30 seconds) and than a few seconds latter hold volume up + power
    or connect it to the USB cable, press volume up + power and connect the battery
    Didn't work...

When the USB cable is attached, it doesn't do anything. I don't even get the battery with question mark. When the USB cable isn't attached, I get the battery with question mark, no matter which key combination I press.
    Didn't work...

When the USB cable is attached, it doesn't do anything. I don't even get the battery with question mark. When the USB cable isn't attached, I get the battery with question mark, no matter which key combination I press.
    How about reseting it (home + power 20 sec), than volume up + power and than connect cable

Or remove battery, press volume up + power, than connect battery and than connect cable.

did you noticed something in device manager?
    Or try this. Disconnect battery and re-connect it again. Hold power + vol up (do not release). Connect hp charger. Should see big USB on the screen .Keep charger it few hours with recovery mode. Hold power +home 20-30 seconds to turn on device. If still can not turn on device. Need to doctor it with recovery mode.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Well nothing seems to work. Without it being connected to my PC, every button combinations involving the power button simply results in the Touchpad displaying the battery with question mark.

When I connect it to my PC, the only two button combinations that do anything is the Power + Home and Power + Home + VolDown. Both result in the Home button starting to blink left/right. Nothing appears on the screen. Pressin Power + VolUp does nothing.

I've tried all your suggestions (pressing Power + VolUp, then connect charger etc.). And nothing seems to work. I've tried two different new batteries, exact same result. I'm now charging the original battery and see if that's going to make a difference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast