Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    The official charger cyliders keep going bad on me. Both the one that came with my touchpad and the one from my broken pre have burned up so to speak. I have no idea why they no longer work. The USB cables are still functioning I can use them for other things and even in other chargers to charge other things. Right now I am using the official samsung galaxy S4 charger to charge the TP but it barely charges it when it sits idle and if I try to use it while charging it almost always slowly discharges as the charge rate simply is not enough to both charge and power the activity. Is there another quality charger that has the same charging rate as the official TP charger? I don't want to get burned and buy something and have it fail in short order. In fact because of that concern I have not bothered to buy anything for quite some time since the official cylinders went bad over a year ago. Each cylinder only lasted a year before going bad.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Hmm..

Do you know of any abnormal current fluctuations such as "brown-outs" (90V out of the standard 125V), lights flickering, or any other appliances going bad due to a power surge at your house? Do you plug directly into the wall? Or have anything like a blanket draped over the power adapters, trapping heat?

I'm not here to be nosy, just trying to figure out what might have caused these failures. I've had my phone and TP charger plugged in 24/7 for over 3+ years, and they still work perfectly, so my guess is that in your case something may be wrong with the current fed to those adapters, such as, perhaps, you not using a surge suppressor.

The Touchpad charger has been disassembled, inspected and rated highly when the Touchpad first came out, so i'd buy another one with confidence. You can also make yourself a charging cable that will allow the TP to draw 2.0A from non-HP chargers, by soldering in a resistor that's placed between the data wires to signify adapter's power rating
    I've had many, many barrel chargers, and have only had one go bad. I have seen them fairly cheap, so I'd recommend picking up a new one on Amazon or ebay.
    Same as others... I have several Palm cylinder chargers for the phones and Touchpads, not one has failed.

If anything they are what I'd consider the best I've got in all my chargers.

Maybe your power is the issue... using a decent powerbar with regulated filtering, or even better, using a UPS?

You should get a power meter to test for fluctuation in the house's power. My UPS has one and I knew that my house tends to have funny power issues, and after what I've seen using my UPS metering capacity, all the important electronics in my house have UPSs now.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Weird - I've had the exact opposite thing happen. The barrel chargers for me have all lasted (knock on wood), but the USB cords themselves always seem to go bad at some point. I've replaced nearly every cord, but never a barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Weird - I've had the exact opposite thing happen. The barrel chargers for me have all lasted (knock on wood), but the USB cords themselves always seem to go bad at some point. I've replaced nearly every cord, but never a barrel.
    Same experice here. Barrel chargers are working great, I am using them to charge everything, but the cables are the other story.
    There is one difference between Pre 3 and TouchPad cables, thickness of the wire. On the first look they look the same but they are not. If using Pre 3 (1A) cables to charge TouchPad with 2A for some time, the cable will give up in time.
    I hand made some cables with AWG24/AWG28 wire and they are performing well even at 2A, but the best would be AWG22/AWG28.
    Quality of them is really good, they made them with good components with values matching the specifications. HP ordered them in huge quantities, the stock left after fire sale was over was enormous. Some time ago they were sold in bulk (on the plates).

Last edited by Sumy; 12/22/2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Remy X and MartinH@webos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The official charger cyliders keep going bad on me. Both the one that came with my touchpad and the one from my broken pre have burned up so to speak. I have no idea why they no longer work. The USB cables are still functioning I can use them for other things and even in other chargers to charge other things. Right now I am using the official samsung galaxy S4 charger to charge the TP but it barely charges it when it sits idle and if I try to use it while charging it almost always slowly discharges as the charge rate simply is not enough to both charge and power the activity. Is there another quality charger that has the same charging rate as the official TP charger? I don't want to get burned and buy something and have it fail in short order. In fact because of that concern I have not bothered to buy anything for quite some time since the official cylinders went bad over a year ago. Each cylinder only lasted a year before going bad.
    I think I don't have any more spare (without device), but if I have I can send you one for free. I will look tomorrow and let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Same experice here. Barrel chargers are working great, I am using them to charge everything, but the cables are the other story.
    There is one difference between Pre 3 and TouchPad cables, thickness of the wire. On the first look they look the same but they are not. If using Pre 3 (1A) cables to charge TouchPad with 2A for some time, the cable will give up in time.
    I hand made some cables with AWG24/AWG28 wire and they are performing well even at 2A, but the best would be AWG22/AWG28.
    Hmm.. interesting.

i've been charging my TP with the original cord that came with my Pre+, and still no issues. On both ends of the cord, the woven grounding jacket seems to have failed, but there's still enough of it left for the cord to function to some degree.

Pre+ earbuds on the other hand... the jacketing failed first, making them appear "dead" to the TP (problem solved by homebrew audio switcher app), then the left channel gave out. I'll now have to buy a bottle of aspirin to repair the cord near the plug, since there seems to be no other way to strip those tiny acrylic-coated wires without scorching the copper
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hmm..

Do you know of any abnormal current fluctuations such as "brown-outs" (90V out of the standard 125V), lights flickering, or any other appliances going bad due to a power surge at your house? Do you plug directly into the wall? Or have anything like a blanket draped over the power adapters, trapping heat?

I'm not here to be nosy, just trying to figure out what might have caused these failures. I've had my phone and TP charger plugged in 24/7 for over 3+ years, and they still work perfectly, so my guess is that in your case something may be wrong with the current fed to those adapters, such as, perhaps, you not using a surge suppressor.

The Touchpad charger has been disassembled, inspected and rated highly when the Touchpad first came out, so i'd buy another one with confidence. You can also make yourself a charging cable that will allow the TP to draw 2.0A from non-HP chargers, by soldering in a resistor that's placed between the data wires to signify adapter's power rating
    This is the "test" Remy X was talking about
    Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best
    Remy X likes this.
    I can share your experience with the HP Cables with the Chrome spot on the USB Plug. I have disected a failed cable and found that the solder joints at the MicroUSB plug fracture if any perpendicular force is applied to the plug. The fracture occurs very close to the MicroUSB connector, inside the rubber casing and I have resorted to replacing the Plug with a Clip together cased one which I bought off a Hong Kong supplier on eBay.

I have since found a very good supplier in the UK who sells on eBay and is much cheaper than replacing the Plug. His cables are specified as Shielded 28AWG and perform well. 1.8m Metre MICRO USB Cable Sync and Charge Lead Type A to 5 Pin B Phone Charger | eBay
    Interesting review to read
    HMm, interesting. I never noticed a difference in USB cables for phones and tablets.
    How can I find out the differences between the two types of cables - just from the outside?
    I do not see any writing or icons on the cable.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the replies, I have two surge protection strips. Both relatively high quality one I have had for possibly almost 20 years and the other more than 10 years. I have had every electronic device of mine plugged into either or both of these at one point I'm time. My over 15 year old 27" tube TV that still works, dvd/bluray player, vcr, 10 year old fancy home theater system, several different smartphones, several different Bluetooth headsets, several different PC's, lamps, many different video game systems. Not a one of the ever had problems. And never had any chargers or cables go bad from anything else that was ever plugged in them or in the house in general. And definitely none of the following have obscured except occational plug direct into wall. However those times were rare 95% give or take of the time plugged in was through one or both of the surge protectors.

As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Mah, a surge protector strip is not like having a good ups regulating the current fluctuations.

And I'm not sure it would act as a filter to cut harmonics.
    Your failure rate is too high, and too consistent/regular... You either have fluctuations that the strips are not handling or you are subject to really bad harmonics (that I doubt the strip would be able to correct at all).

Personal opinion.. I would invest in an APC startups 1500i or similar, from the professional series (not the normal series.. Good PSU die if not using a good ups due to the harmonics)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by mazzinia; 12/25/2014 at 07:11 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    @mazzinia,

I second that. And a 20 year old power strip is most likely using an older type of surge suppressor with less filtering, making your point even more relevant
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the new replies. Assuming my google search turned up the correct product you referred to I can't afford to spend $500-1000 on something like that. Not when as of right now the only thing we have to go on is the palm chargers aren't working any more. Now if there was several other things too that had failed as well that would be a different story. The only thing the older of the two surge protectors is used for is charging stuff. Oh I just thought of something since I had no idea there are two different kinds of USB cables. I replaced them with the retractable smartphone experts USB cables I bought from the store here. I went to use one of them the other day to discover it went bad the other I can't find. I found the 2nd cylinder, but I can't find the official cables or the cylinder that came with my pre. Could I use the cylinder with my galaxy S4 cable (the one that barely manages to charge the TP) with the cylinder? Perhaps the 2nd cylinder didn't go bad considering the cable is bad. I probably assumed it was the cylinder since the cable was fairly new at the time.

I looked at the prices of the palm chargers on amazon and unless there is a listing I'm not seeing they are all $20 or more. For comparison I can get two official 5 foot USB 3 S4 cables with the part that plugs into the wall for half that. Looking at the ratings/specs label of it and the cylinder they have the same ratings/specs. So perhaps all I need is the right kind of USB cable for the TP and can use them instead of the cylinder? Thinking ahead here in case I wasn't stupid back when and the cylinder is indeed dead.
    Testing chargers with different cables is a great idea

Another thing that can happen with Palm chargers is that the bottom part with the prongs can get untwisted, breaking the connection between the pop-up wall plug and the charger pins. Please try that as you test things again

So anyway.. If you're looking to charge the TP off of a different 2.0A charger, you'll have to custom-make that cable, otherwise the TP will just see the other charger as being rated 1.0A or lower. You'll need a USB cable rated for 2.0A and a resistor of the correct rating, a soldering iron, a tube of flux and a spool of solder. Together it might still add up to over $20 and unless you have some of the stuff already, it helps to analyse one's priorities
  19.    #19  
    I'm a bit confused since as far as I can find out the official samsung charger and USB cable that came with my G4 are 2A. Shouldn't it have the correct rating resistor? I'm just looking for options right now. I will spend money if I need to but since money is budgeted for just about everything, in order to buy X then Y doesn't or has to wait. This is after all living expenses, retirement concerns are taken care of, and what not. I don't live beyond my means but in the same regard I'm not rolling in the money either. Which usually means when something that the emergency fund is for occurs, as much unnecessary expenses as possible get cut until it is replenished. Unfortunately my current situation.

EDIT: I almost forgot to include the test results. I plugged the G4 USB into the cylinder while the touchpad was powered off. and it powered on and indicated it was charging when it booted up. So I guess I was stupid to assume way back that it had gone bad figuring the cable was good since it was so new.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm a bit confused since as far as I can find out the official samsung charger and USB cable that came with my G4 are 2A. Shouldn't it have the correct rating resistor? I'm just looking for options right now. I will spend money if I need to but since money is budgeted for just about everything, in order to buy X then Y doesn't or has to wait. This is after all living expenses, retirement concerns are taken care of, and what not. I don't live beyond my means but in the same regard I'm not rolling in the money either. Which usually means when something that the emergency fund is for occurs, as much unnecessary expenses as possible get cut until it is replenished. Unfortunately my current situation.

EDIT: I almost forgot to include the test results. I plugged the G4 USB into the cylinder while the touchpad was powered off. and it powered on and indicated it was charging when it booted up. So I guess I was stupid to assume way back that it had gone bad figuring the cable was good since it was so new.
    HP used a proprietary charger rating resistor, rather than following the USB spec. I have a Nexus 7, which has its own standards-based 2.0A charger, and the two chargers are not interchangeable, so each tablet expects its original charger and treats the other as being 1.0A or less.

When you have a half-hour to spare, please read... it will probably clarify what i'm trying to say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast