webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > webOS and the TouchPad post catalog shutdown?
webOS and the TouchPad post catalog shutdown?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By MudShark22

Old 12/04/2014, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've been idle for quite some time now with infrequent casual use of webOS vs android which became my main OS after my pre broke some years ago now. Wow has it been that long. Anyways I still have a special love for webOS for it's live apps even when it is not in focus something I miss when I use my android smartphone. Anyways to the point. I have gone through the whole app catalog to see if there was anything that I wanted to have that I hadn't already had installed. This didn't take too long since there wasn't a huge amount of stuff to go through. And none of the apps I already have had any updates. I figure I'm going to want to have some sort of backup that I will be able to restore from in case something happens like corrupted files or something that would require an app to be reinstalled. I have webOS 3.0.5 (I believe is whatever the last official was). I'm also dual booted with android. The last major thing I had to do was that certificate thing about a year ago. Since then I have only used apps and a few times looked to see what was new if anything in the app catalog. Am I good to go for post shutdown? And out of curiosity with open webOS is there a future of the OS being updated with anything new and improved (assuming any changes like that have occurred with the OS)? I of course still hold hope that despite HP destroying what could have been a major contender to android and iOS that something will come of webOS. Thanks for reading and any responses ya'll may have.
As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
StoneRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2014, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE

Homebrew updates:
TIP: preware.net solutions for WOSQI, Preware v1.9.13 | pivotCE
(You might want to fix your signature)

Use CalDAV to maintain Google Calendar sync | pivotCE | pivotCE

For the TP or N4:
Next LuneOS Stable Release Available: Black Eye | pivotCE

Work to back up webOS resources is underway, as are projects to replicate cloud back up and the app catalogue. If you have authored any apps and wish to keep them available after the shutdown, there are options listed here: DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes

As things develop, we hope to offer a complete backup / transition guide for the shutdown on pivotCE.
Old 12/04/2014, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool beans I got WOSQI and preware updated now. I'll have to get the app ipk backups on my next day off when I have plenty of time on hand to get it done. I do have some paid apps, as long as they are still in the catalog I'll be able to download them again to do the preferred backup method? Is LuneOS fully functional ready for every day use case scenarios? I'm assuming that ultimately I'm going to want to replace the final official webOS install with this and have it instead of webOS dual booted with android. And if it is ready for every day use, getting all my apps backed up and such may be a good time to transition to it.

Someone pointed me to WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals for things I want to do before the end of the catalog too. In following that I discovered links to webOS doctor and novacom drivers are broken. I even attempted to get to the webOS doctor download from the profile login area of the official site which resulted to going to the same broken page. It loads in my browsers blank (no error messages show or anything). I do not have up to date copies of either. Something I forgot to backup from my old PC.

Following the token backup method to email myself the token stuff failed because for whatever reason I am not longer able to send email with either my google account or yahoo account. I seem to be able to receive email fine. It used to work the last time I used webOS about 4 maybe 6 months ago. I typically am using email on windows or my android smartphone. Which leads to my final concern. I don't want to run into a you have been disconnected from your palm profile and forced to wipe webOS. Do I need to be concerned with that? In other words something I need to do to prevent such in happening?
As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
Old 12/04/2014, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
Cool beans I got WOSQI and preware updated now. I'll have to get the app ipk backups on my next day off when I have plenty of time on hand to get it done. I do have some paid apps, as long as they are still in the catalog I'll be able to download them again to do the preferred backup method? Is LuneOS fully functional ready for every day use case scenarios? I'm assuming that ultimately I'm going to want to replace the final official webOS install with this and have it instead of webOS dual booted with android. And if it is ready for every day use, getting all my apps backed up and such may be a good time to transition to it.
You'll be able to download your paid apps till Jan 15th, but honestly, by the morning of 14th, HP could cut us off. Try to get it done by December 31st.

LuneOS is coming along well, i think the Nexus 4 can already make calls. But i wouldn't advise anyone to switch to that full-time, because it's still beta, it's still quite barren, with missing functionality, and WebKit2 uses a whole lot more memory than webOS' WebKit1-powered Luna/browser. So you'll see many more TMC (too many cards) errors if you use the Internet as i do. The Touchpad's 1GB of RAM doesn't go very far.

But you can try LunaCE, if you haven't already... it's the open-source build of webOS UI, the LunaSysMgr, with a number of improvements

Quote:
Someone pointed me to WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals for things I want to do before the end of the catalog too. In following that I discovered links to webOS doctor and novacom drivers are broken. I even attempted to get to the webOS doctor download from the profile login area of the official site which resulted to going to the same broken page. It loads in my browsers blank (no error messages show or anything). I do not have up to date copies of either. Something I forgot to backup from my old PC.
Code:
23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
63.80.4.201	downloads.help.palm.com
This ^^ is a hosts file fix that did allow us to download the Doctors and drivers for a while, but that seems to have broken for those in the US, Europe is still fine. Depending on where you are, either use the latest hosts update, or get the doctors from Archive.org (The Wayback Machine).

Quote:
Following the token backup method to email myself the token stuff failed because for whatever reason I am not longer able to send email with either my google account or yahoo account. I seem to be able to receive email fine. It used to work the last time I used webOS about 4 maybe 6 months ago. I typically am using email on windows or my android smartphone. Which leads to my final concern. I don't want to run into a you have been disconnected from your palm profile and forced to wipe webOS. Do I need to be concerned with that? In other words something I need to do to prevent such in happening?
HP won't send us a wipe signal... if you're disconnected, it's the same as being in airplane mode. webOS won't self-destruct on its own. If you have to Doctor and re-install, you can bypass activation using devicetool.jar

Sorry if i haven't covered everything... i'll be back in an hour or so

Last edited by Remy X; 12/04/2014 at 10:43 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2014, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I do have some paid apps, as long as they are still in the catalog I'll be able to download them again to do the preferred backup method?
There is method of backing up installed apps from the device without a reload. Search the forums or wait for part 2 of the article due soon.

Quote:
Is LuneOS fully functional ready for every day use case scenarios?
My understanding is that mobile data works, but not calling. It is not ready for daily use (see the warnings in the article & on the Ports site), but if as an HB developer, you are confident & interested in testing & possibly contributing, give it a go. Triple booting is possible - but maybe not recommended!

Quote:
I discovered links to webOS doctor and novacom drivers are broken.
I think Novacom drivers are included in the new WOSQI 4.6.0. See Remy X's instructions for the rest.

Quote:
Following the token backup method to email myself the token stuff failed because for whatever reason I am not longer able to send email with either my google account or yahoo account. I seem to be able to receive email fine.
There are patches for https sync on gogle & yahoo (e.g: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)), but I'm pretty sure this doesn't affect email, which should be working - maybe check your port settings or security protocol for out-going mail?
Server Type: IMAP
Email Address : (your email address)
Incoming Mail Server: palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Username: (your full email address)
Password: (your password)
Encryption: SSL
Port #: 993
Outgoing Mail Server: palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Use Authentication: ON
Port #: 465
Old 12/05/2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're email issue is due to google changing some back end stuff to be 'more secure'
As such, they consider certain devices not up to snuff for modern security standards...like webos.

But you can follow the instructions here:
https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en
And it will allow you to send gmail from your phone.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/07/2014, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
But i wouldn't advise anyone to switch to that full-time, because it's still beta, it's still quite barren, with missing functionality, and WebKit2 uses a whole lot more memory than webOS' WebKit1-powered Luna/browser. So you'll see many more TMC (too many cards) errors if you use the Internet as i do. The Touchpad's 1GB of RAM doesn't go very far.

But you can try LunaCE, if you haven't already... it's the open-source build of webOS UI, the LunaSysMgr, with a number of improvements
I'd be looking for it to be fairly stable (fully functional beta quality would be ok). Since my touchpad (webOS side more than the android side) isn't my primary device. I probably only use webOS on it a few times a month, and android on it 2-3 times that. Where as my android smartphone gets used dozens of times a day in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
or get the doctors from Archive.org (The Wayback Machine).

HP won't send us a wipe signal... if you're disconnected, it's the same as being in airplane mode. webOS won't self-destruct on its own. If you have to Doctor and re-install, you can bypass activation using devicetool.jar
I'll have to get them from that site then. I was trying to access the pages on my win7pro desktop PC. My concern with the profile thing was from some time back both my touchpad and pre had a sudden you are no longer logged in to your palm profile (or similar warning) which forced you to reset. Which wiped the device. Man was that a nightmare to deal with. So as long as I don't need to take any measures to prevent such a thing from happening all is good in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
There is method of backing up installed apps from the device without a reload. Search the forums or wait for part 2 of the article due soon.
Which ever method is the better method is fine with me. I just want to make sure I have a way to get all my apps back in case I ever need to. At this point it is a future outlook mode for me. I really want things to turn around and webOS to become something. I really think if the right people had taken in palm that it would have. It is unfortunate what happened with HP being the one. I'm sure discussion on that front is beyond beating a dead horse though.

Quote:
Server Type: IMAP
Email Address : (your email address)
Incoming Mail Server: palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port #: 993
Outgoing Mail Server: palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Use Authentication: ON
Port #: 465
It appears for whatever reason despite the account in "accounts" had the correct password the email app did not. Once I entered the password again in the manual settings I was able to send email with yahoo. I think the problem I'm having with gmail may have something to do with two step authentication. Google has a page for something call an app password which I'm guessing at this point is what I need to use my google account on webOS.
Old 12/07/2014, 04:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Which ever method is the better method is fine with me. I just want to make sure I have a way to get all my apps back in case I ever need to.
There is no 'best' method. The other method is a set of scripts to back up your installation (useful if the original app is pulled from the catalogue).
Script to save all your app IPKs in one step
A similar method uses data from Impostah to do a direct download to you PC. HP Takeout

Saving the original IPK can obviously clutter the device up unless you pay attention to house-keeping.

Quote:
I think the problem I'm having with gmail may have something to do with two step authentication. Google has a page for something call an app password which I'm guessing at this point is what I need to use my google account on webOS.
Yes, as mentioned above (I'd forgotten that one). I think it applies to new account setups and you just have to tick a box....
Tip: new gmail security settings may block access to gmail on your webOS device

Oh! The new LuneOS release is here! pivotCE: Next LuneOS Stable Release Available: Black Tie

Last edited by Preemptive; 12/11/2014 at 05:17 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2014, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
There is no 'best' method. The other method is a set of scripts to back up your installation (useful if the original app is pulled from the catalogue).
Script to save all your app IPKs in one step
A similar method uses data from Impostah to do a direct download to you PC. HP Takeout
Cool beans I used the script method on my PC and got all but 11 apps. I'm going to post in that script thread. But basically I think the reason is because they are no longer in the app catalog. For more details see my post in that thread.
Old 12/11/2014, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You might try the script I just posted over on my "blog" forum (webOSnation won't let me post the code here for some reason, some anti-spam script triggers): http://www.ericbla.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1549 .. it picks the app up from the device and repackages it
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2014, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Speaking of the shutdown, has anybody come up with a patch that bypasses the Palm account sign in for HP Touchpad, I think I saw somewhere else that it was possible for some of the webOS phones, but not specifically for the HP Touchpad. In the event that my Touchpad ever needs a wipe, I wouldn't really want to have to go webOS-less post shutdown.
Chairman Honeycrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2014, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is a tool called "devicetool.jar" that is used to bypass.
Old 12/18/2014, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You can use NDI (Nova Device Installer) as well to flash the rootfs and bypass first use.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities