Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    I have had my touchpad for about 2 years. I have CM9 loaded on the touchpad.About 3 months ago I lost it and I tried to turn it on...nothing. All I thought was that the battery was dead. I used the original charger.. nothing, my phone charger ..nothing. I went and bought a touchstone and that doesn't work either.
    I looked on various forums to press and hold buttons but none worked.

My Touchpad does have a crack by the charging port but I dont think that it effects the charging.

I dont know what else to do and im hop in that it isn't dead. Hoping someone knows what to do.
    Thanks in advance
    Does the LED button blink when you plug it in? If so, your battery has become so drained that it can no longer power the charging circuit, and it becomes a "chicken or the egg" problem where you need battery power to power the charging circuit, and a working charging circuit to charge the battery.

Luckily, all you have to do is plug it into a computer or printer USB port overnight, and into a regular charger in the morning. A computer's 500mA USB power will revive the charging circuit, while the regular 2.0Amp charger will top up the remaining 25%

A crack by the USB port? So does mine
  3.    #3  
    When I plug thr touchpad in there is no flash. Everything is just black.
    I will try charging it on my laptop over night. Hopefully that will fix it
    ..And if nothing happens overnight, you might want to leave it plugged into a 500mA outlet for a few days - at least!
    There have been several instances of charging circuits taking a looong time to re-activate themselves, especially if the battery was completely flatto for months first!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #6  
    I will keep it plugged in for a few days. What is better to use? A phone charger or a laptop?
    Also how do you know if it is bricked??
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgladz View Post
    I will keep it plugged in for a few days. What is better to use? A phone charger or a laptop?
    A laptop or better yet, a printer, because a phone charger is 1Amp, and that's usually too much...

A "bricked" Touchpad is one where the bootloader is corrupted, and that would show either a blank, black backlit screen, or a "battery questionmark". A Touchpad stuck in QHUSB-DLOAD mode would show up as a "device" when you plug it into your laptop. However, yours sounds like the battery got drained completely. If the lights on the front of it don't start blinking after a week and half of charging, you might be better off opening it up and either, a) taking out the battery and charging it using a type of charger made for RC helicopters, or replacing the battery altogether (you can find one on eBay). If you choose to go that route, there's plety of people here who'd b able to help you
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    A laptop or better yet, a printer, because a phone charger is 1Amp, and that's usually too much...

A "bricked" Touchpad is one where the bootloader is corrupted, and that would show either a blank, black backlit screen, or a "battery questionmark". A Touchpad stuck in QHUSB-DLOAD mode would show up as a "device" when you plug it into your laptop. However, yours sounds like the battery got drained completely. If the lights on the front of it don't start blinking after a week and half of charging, you might be better off opening it up and either, a) taking out the battery and charging it using a type of charger made for RC helicopters, or replacing the battery altogether (you can find one on eBay). If you choose to go that route, there's plety of people here who'd b able to help you
    Ok I have it plugged into my printer now. I doubt the touchpad is bricked, I hadn't loaded any new nightlys on it.
    What kind of RC charger would work? I cant picture one of those charging my battery
    If you check the link I provided, I gave virtually every approach to get a Touchpad going again, and what to look for to determine if it's bricked.

Important: if you plug it in anything, the tell-tale sign of life will be that the central button will be pulsating (white light going on and off over and over).

Quick version: plug it in a computer, and does it do anything?

Yes? leave it plugged in for a while and see if the central button is pulsating.

No? Then leave it plugged in, press and hold power, volume down, and the central button (it's a Touchpad version of Ctrl-alt-delete) for a few seconds, if the computer tells you that you have a device plugged in and attempts to load the drivers (and fails), and doesn't do anything else (no pulsating light at the central button), odds are that your dead battery caused the circuit to corrupt.

You can leave it (if the computer does "wake" up (tries to load drivers) the Touchpad) plugged in for a day or so.

Your goal is to get the screen to do something, anything (usually the battery icon), but even before that, the first sign of life will be the central button will start pulsating, that is the key, as this is the charging circuit's activity monitor.

If you get to see that pulsing light on the button at any time, then leave it plugged in, it will slowly charge and you should get a battery icon after a while.

Once you get that, then switch to it's normal charger... a few hours and it should be alive again.

And the taking the battery out to charge it will give you a charged battery but if the charging circuit is dead, even a 100% charged battery will NOT make the Touchpad wake up, the charging circuit problem is that it no longer sees the battery at all.(charged or not). So it's not going to help if the charging circuit is the problem.

Please note one other possibility... the battery is actually dead for good, and you need to get a new one and install it.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    [...]

And the taking the battery out to charge it will give you a charged battery but if the charging circuit is dead, even a 100% charged battery will NOT make the Touchpad wake up, the charging circuit problem is that it no longer sees the battery at all.(charged or not). So it's not going to help if the charging circuit is the problem.

Please note one other possibility... the battery is actually dead for good, and you need to get a new one and install it.
    If the battery is fully charged, but the charging circuit's firmware is corrupted, the Rootzwiki TPdebrick has been known to work, IF the computer will anyhow see the connected Touchpad.

The last option may also be true considering the age of the Touchpad, it's happened with my laptop's old battery, and an unused battery for my Mom's Sony laptop. Sometimes the battery's safety chip will "die" and stop responding, even if the discharged battery can be successfully charged with the safety features removed. But i'm not suggesting in-depth battery dissection, only pointing out what could go wrong, and has actually happened
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If the battery is fully charged, but the charging circuit's firmware is corrupted, the Rootzwiki TPdebrick has been known to work, IF the computer will anyhow see the connected Touchpad.

The last option may also be true considering the age of the Touchpad, it's happened with my laptop's old battery, and an unused battery for my Mom's Sony laptop. Sometimes the battery's safety chip will "die" and stop responding, even if the discharged battery can be successfully charged with the safety features removed. But i'm not suggesting in-depth battery dissection, only pointing out what could go wrong, and has actually happened
    Yes. As I was looking on my computer I saw that the TP was named Qhusb-dload, it also tried to install drivers . I installed the Tpdebrick and tried to follow instructions but when I try to run "script" it says it is not recognized.
    Now that I know it is bricked is what should I do?
    Have you bothered reading the thread I linked in my previous post?

It's provides the answers to every question you've asked, a full set of instructions to do the TPDebrick, links, ect.
    I see a pattern...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Have you bothered reading the thread I linked in my previous post?

It's provides the answers to every question you've asked, a full set of instructions to do the TPDebrick, links, ect.
    Yes I did read it.
    I didn't download ubuntu because it was a gig. Isn't ubuntu an operating system for computers? Why can I just open cmd and do the commands there?
    I am really confused right now, I really want my TP fixed.
    All clarification and help will be greatly appreciated
    Yes I did read it.
    I didn't download ubuntu because it was a gig. Isn't ubuntu an operating system for computers? Why can I just open cmd and do the commands there?
    I am really confused right now, I really want my TP fixed.
    All clarification and help will be greatly appreciated
    As per the instructions, the ONLY way to fix a bricked (via charging circuit) Touchpad IS by using Ubuntu, which is an OS.

If you can get your machine to dual boot, then it's easier. I wasn't able, but I did have an extra hard drive lying around so I simply took my Windows drive out, put in my spare and installed it.

In that thread, I stated ALL the known approaches to getting the Touchpad back to life in case it is NOT the charging circuit... actually, there's one new one that someone used... plugging in their Touchpad, holding the central button down for hours (he used a grain of rice and a paper clip, I believe)

But aside tring the different chargers, the button combinations, the letting it be dead for a while before trying to charge it, the TPDebrick is the only way to revive any Touchpad that the charging circuit is corrupted.

I posted all the instructions in the best fashion that I could, as simple as I could, answered questions on how to do it, and what problems I had, and what others also went through (working with them) and I believe that it's covered as good as it gets.

Step one IS to have access to Ubuntu, either via your own machine by temporrarely replacing your drive with one that you can install it on, to install it on your present drive and dual boot your computer with it, or find someone that uses it on their machine and have them help you.

I had never used Ubuntu before and I didn't find it that hard after all. Getting it installed was the hardest part because the computer I tried installing it on was too old, and the other, I didn't want to dual boot. Once I realized that using a spare drive would be a very easy solution, I did that, and well... I recorded my steps on my thread.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/04/2014 at 09:43 AM.
    I see a pattern...
    Remy X likes this.
    To add to what imfallen_angel said above, yes, you do need a Debian Linux-based environment to run many of the repair utilities, such as TPdebrick. Ubuntu is a Debian-based Linux distribution, and so is webOS ...and so is Nokia's old Maemo, which speaks to the quality of the underlying code. All those companies could have forked another branch of Linux, but they chose what's most consistent and reliable.

In the context of your repair, it's done to make sure that all code that the utility relies on, works, and is available to the utility. It's like you can't always replace butter with vegetable oil and have the result taste the same. Unfortunately, Windows lacks the crucial components needed to make this work, so you'd have to download Ubuntu and try again. But there's a little more leeway in how that can be done. The standard way is downloading WUBI, the "Windows Ubuntu Installer" and having it do everything automatically, while i've gone a different route and downloaded Xubuntu, which is a branch of Ubuntu that uses xfce, a lighter-weight "window manager" for its UI, and i was able to write the .iso onto an old 1GB flash drive to use as a "Live CD". I did end up permanenently installing to a partition on my machine, but if anyone cares enough, it's possible to run the utilities off of a flash drive and get the job done.

So yes, it's a requirement, but it doesn't mean you need to go the standard route and install the bloated main branch of Ubuntu. There are alternatives if you want a smaller download and a smaller memory footprint...

Good luck, man... tell us if you need anything
    Mutoidi and MartinH@webos like this.
  16.    #16  
    I downloaded ubuntu and downloaded tpdebrick, I couldnt get webos doctor so I just skipped to the terminal part. I could open the downloads but when it did cd tpdebrick-v004 it gave me an error. I had lost my patience at that point and just shut down my computer. I dont know if I dont have all the right files. I am beginning to lose hope in my ability to fix my TP