webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Am I too late???
Am I too late???

Old 11/21/2014, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,
I'm a newbie in every sense of the word here, both to the Web-OS and to the forum. I just on an impulse got a 4G Touchpad as I was looking for a cheap android tablet to play with, when the kids grab the IPad from me.
I have just been to HP site and they are pulling all the stops from Touchpad, come January 15.
Am I too late with this or can I still get some use from it? I have used the date walk-around to get to the App Catalog; but I get the error of failed install on ALL apps. Is it linked to my location (UK) even though all settings are US? I would like to try out some free apps especially a Bible and the Kindle as I've got a large kindle library on the IPad. But that doesn't seem to work either. Is there anything I can do to get Kindle app to work?
The 4G works well here in the UK so even for a browser its pretty fast, but is that all I can do with it?
I'm not much of a tinkerer, mostly for lack of time but is flashing to android the only hope? I kinda like to leave that as late as possible, if I can?
Any help and advice?

Thanks!
Abram001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2014, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi you can only get free apps from the app catalog post 1 November, but you need to update the App Catalog Certificate that expired. You can find info here on the forum. Other than that your device should work OK. For most stuff that's broken (Google contacts & calendar) you can find fixes here. You can also dual or tripple boot it with Android or LuneOS (the open source continuation of webOS) for example.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
Old 11/21/2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, I correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LuneOS development for the 4g touchpad essentially halted? Also, to the OP, by Kindle books do you mean downloaded from Amazon or sideloaded? My downloaded books seemed to work for me. If you only want Kindle, there is a way to sideload via Preware, which does take some tinkering around, but in my experience much less tinkering than installing Android.
Chairman Honeycrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2014, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Welcome to the forums.

Looks like there is some support for TP4G. Click here:
pivotCE: Next LuneOS Stable Release Available: Black Eye If you are not a tinkerer, you may wish to wait for a bit more development of this project. You don't need to choose between webOS & Android; You can dual boot them. Some are even triple booting with LuneOS too.
Android on webOS

You should be fine to download free apps in the UK at least until the catalogue closes in January. Have you set up a Palm Profile?
Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

Some catalogue apps will be made available on other channels after the shutdown and work is being done on replacing the services that will be lost.
Old 11/22/2014, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi all,
Thank you all for your responses and help.

@Herrie - I updated the App Catalog Certificate & now I can install free apps.
@Chairman - still struggling with kindle. Looking for the file to install by wosqi right now
@Preemptive - thanks for the link. Finding out that the 4G because of it's unpopularity has less of everything developed for it compared to the wifi version.
Old 11/22/2014, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does the Boxnet 50G still works at all?
Old 11/22/2014, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
Hmm, I correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LuneOS development for the 4g touchpad essentially halted? Also, to the OP, by Kindle books do you mean downloaded from Amazon or sideloaded? My downloaded books seemed to work for me. If you only want Kindle, there is a way to sideload via Preware, which does take some tinkering around, but in my experience much less tinkering than installing Android.
No WiFi is actively being developed, but the 4G version is VERY similar hardware wise. WiFi currently works, so it's in the same state as the WiFi only Touchpad. They both use the exact same image to run LuneOS GSM data (3G/4G (actually Faux-G since it's HSDPA+)) doesn't work yet, due to the particularities of the Ericsson f5521GW used in the TP4G, but that's something that's being looked into as well
Old 11/22/2014, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abram001 View Post
Does the Boxnet 50G still works at all?
From the zombie app thread linked below:

Quote:
Apparently the box.net login process has changed. It seems Box for TouchPad by Box.com, may still work & is free. (HP). Check others before buying. Includes:
Unofficial box.net client by Abesapps. (HP) Do not PAY for this app.
Boxalicious Free/Xtra by Watchmefreak. (HP) Do not PAY for this app.
Don't know about the space allocation.

Incidentally, I noticed I can search the app catalogue, but not click through to each app's page, so maybe there IS an app catalogue issue. Hopefully it's temporary. HP have been moving things around. (update: It's working again)

Last edited by Preemptive; 11/22/2014 at 07:24 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote