1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I am ready to pull my hair out. I have only recently tried to bring my touchpad into the present after paying for a few apps and not being able to download them. I didn't realise the full extent of HP pulling the pin.
    I tried to do this by installing "Webos quick install" "preware" Internalz and "FileMgr" I did this by following the online guide I found and adding to the host file on my pc. However even though these apps are now present on TP they don't work and I get the message Service does not exist org.webosinternals.ipkgservice. And Internalz a similar message whilst FileMgr a message Service not running try reinstalling the service or contact the developer. Also I now find that my old apps Kalemsoft player and also Gemini file Mgr don't work. I guess my question to the forum is - Is the touchpad now only useful as an anchor or is there still hope of getting it going properly. Tried to sort this without using the forum but it is beyond me now.
    Welcome to the forum.

Your errors are unusual, but webOS in 2014 DOES require the user to make the effort to install homebrew apps and patches to maintain function as external services change or cease. It's not clear which online guide you used, but here are a couple of links:
    TIP: preware.net solutions for WOSQI, Preware v1.9.13 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

Both WOSQi & Preware should work as should the file manager service.

Regarding apps from the official catalogue, some are known to have become outdated (a list is linked in my signature). If you have paid for apps and have receipts, this should be recorded in your Palm Profile and you should be able to download the apps until the final shutdown on January 15th. Purchases should have been possible until November 1st, but not after. Check your ability to download, your receipts and purchase dates and contact HP support if problems remain. Some catalogue apps will be available on other channels in the future.

I would suggest you start over and follow the instructions carefully. If problems continue, post here, detailing precisely what you did and the nature of your problems. Hopefully, they can be resolved.

If you've applied the instructions correctly, this may indicate a fundamental system problem, potentially solvable by reflashing the OS with a webOS doctor, but if the TP works OK in most ways, this is unlikely. There is also a possibility of a hardware fault - again unlikely as your problems seem too specific.

Only you can decide the utility of your TP. If you don't wish to invest time and effort or simply can't fix the problems with webOS, you can try installing Cyanogenmod Android, wait until LuneOS is sufficiently developed or buy a tablet running another system. If you can show that the TP hardware is OK, you can get a good price in the marketplace section of this forum or on your auction/sale site of your choice.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/21/2014 at 01:20 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Your errors are unusual, but webOS in 2014 DOES require the user to make the effort to install homebrew apps and patches to maintain function as external services change or cease. It's not clear which online guide you used, but here are a couple of links:
    TIP: preware.net solutions for WOSQI, Preware v1.9.13 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

Both WOSQi & Preware should work as should the file manager service.

Regarding apps from the official catalogue, some are known to have become outdated (a list is linked in my signature). If you have paid for apps and have receipts, this should be recorded in your Palm Profile and you should be able to download the apps until the final shutdown on January 15th. Purchases should have been possible until November 1st, but not after. Check your ability to download, your receipts and purchase dates and contact HP support if problems remain. Some catalogue apps will be available on other channels in the future.

I would suggest you start over and follow the instructions carefully. If problems continue, post here, detailing precisely what you did and the nature of your problems. Hopefully, they can be resolved.

If you've applied the instructions correctly, this may indicate a fundamental system problem, potentially solvable by reflashing the OS with a webOS doctor, but if the TP works OK in most ways, this is unlikely. There is also a possibility of a hardware fault - again unlikely as your problems seem too specific.

Only you can decide the utility of your TP. If you don't wish to invest time and effort or simply can't fix the problems with webOS, you can try installing Cyanogenmod Android, wait until LuneOS is sufficiently developed or buy a tablet running another system. If you can show that the TP hardware is OK, you can get a good price in the marketplace section of this forum or on your auction/sale site of your choice.
    Preemptive, thank you for your reply and suggestions, I am just glad that enlightened people such as yourself are still out there and willing to assist. I am very fond of my touchpad and webos and we have three in the extended family. Now that I know help is available for WOS I will pursue this as far as possible before trying Android Cy.