Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyland
  • 1 Post By evacaf
  • 3 Post By iprice
  • 1 Post By Veature
  • 1 Post By laingman
  1.    #1  
    Just a thought, as of today ( Nov 01 2014)The HP Catalog for Touchpad is no longer suppose to work, it did this morn lol.

My question is, why does Prewar not approach HP Palm and ask if it can take over the Catalog and use it as its app base? Thus Preware catalog that they can modify for all platforms, especially WEBOS or LUnaos

Perhaps HP will donate it? Maybe I don't know.

But it's worth a try.
    Companys like HP will likely not open source such a big part of there infrastructure, let alone all the privacy things like sales etc...
    Remy X likes this.
    Two problems...

1) HP will not open-source or give away anything at this point. The process for them is slow, complicated and expensive. When intellectual property is involved, so are lawyers.

2) The webOS Internals team, which maintains Preware, will not want to take on a legal and tax headache of handling someone else's transactions. It's not possible to shoehorn this functionality into Preware, so a whole new App Catalog will have to be built.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Two problems...

1) HP will not open-source or give away anything at this point. The process for them is slow, complicated and expensive. When intellectual property is involved, so are lawyers.

2) The webOS Internals team, which maintains Preware, will not want to take on a legal and tax headache of handling someone else's transactions. It's not possible to shoehorn this functionality into Preware, so a whole new App Catalog will have to be built.
    Thanks for the reply.

Guess I was being too optimistic that HP would actually give away something they never plan to use again, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veature View Post
    Just a thought, as of today ( Nov 01 2014)The HP Catalog for Touchpad is no longer suppose to work, it did this morn lol.
    Nov 1st date just signifies you can't buy new apps that cost money. Downloading free apps and apps you own will still work until Jan 15th I think. Also Nov 15th is the deadline for updates to existing apps in the catalog.
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
    Nov 1st date just signifies you can't buy new apps that cost money. Downloading free apps and apps you own will still work until Jan 15th I think. Also Nov 15th is the deadline for updates to existing apps in the catalog.
    Ok thanks, but I did download apps yesterday, lol Nov 2, maybe they started it today, business day. I'll check lol. But I do have the 4G Touchpad, maybe longer support, lol. I bought it brand new last month, works great.
    Love webOS, refuse to install android, I do use open mobile app and Amazon store.
    Can anyone tell me if LunaOS is working 100% on 4g touchpad and as works as good as webos.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Still works, just downloaded free app, but maybe be its because installed restore app in preware and backed up everything.

also redirected app catalogue feed, idk, I'm no expert on this 4g touchpad, just applying what others have wrote.
    Ok thanks, but I did download apps yesterday, lol Nov 2, maybe they started it today, business day. I'll check lol. But I do have the 4G Touchpad, maybe longer support, lol. I bought it brand new last month, works great.
    Love webOS, refuse to install android, I do use open mobile app and Amazon store.
    Can anyone tell me if LunaOS is working 100% on 4g touchpad and as works as good as webos.

Thanks.
    WiFi doesn't work yet on the TP 4G, data connection via 3G/4G MIGHT theoretically work, but hasn't been tested yet. It's by far not as good as webOS yet, but it will get there eventually
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
    I don't know why HP said this - they aren't passing apps from Review at all. I've had updates waiting since early October. There's nobody there.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Grabber5.0, Remy X and Misj' like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    I don't know why HP said this - they aren't passing apps from Review at all. I've had updates waiting since early October. There's nobody there.
    Yeah I haven't see any updates get through. I find it funny that once again in the email they sent out a few days ago, they said again that developers can submit updates through Nov 10th.. That's great, except they won't get processed! At best, assuming the system is actually running, a metadata update to change the price or description would get through, but I'd almost guarantee an actual app update would never see the light of day.. there have been updates queued up for weeks already that haven't ever gone through.
  11.    #11  
    HP makes good products, but they really dropped the ball on Tablet specifically WEBOS. They just dropped and abandoned it as if paranoia took over because sales were slow.

I think WEBOS is the best Os out there, had they stuck to their guns, we would have the best OS and hardware now.

Apple tough it out over many years to be number one, perfecting theiir product and OS.

I seen new HP Tablets at Costco with windows 8, but don't see to be selling well. They are powerful Quad core tablets.

WEBOS is clean and simplistic, the older generation loved it and young and well us in between, lol

HP should of pushed app development and right about now they would be taking off.

Oh well, we know what they lost out on and I hope Lune OS is perfected and a major carrier picks it up and shows HP they were idiots, for dropping the ball.
    Remy X likes this.
    HP makes good products, but they really dropped the ball on Tablet specifically WEBOS. They just dropped and abandoned it as if paranoia took over because sales were slow.

I think WEBOS is the best Os out there, had they stuck to their guns, we would have the best OS and hardware now.

Apple tough it out over many years to be number one, perfecting theiir product and OS.

I seen new HP Tablets at Costco with windows 8, but don't see to be selling well. They are powerful Quad core tablets.

WEBOS is clean and simplistic, the older generation loved it and young and well us in between, lol

HP should of pushed app development and right about now they would be taking off.

Oh well, we know what they lost out on and I hope Lune OS is perfected and a major carrier picks it up and shows HP they were idiots, for dropping the ball.
    There's unfortunately one big obstacle that we must overcome first... that Google has strong-armed all major OEMs into signing an agreement, where they promise not to compete with Google in exchange for the right to use the Google Play/Apps ecosystem. So no mainstream OEM will sell AOSP or webOS devices if they are already selling Google-approved Android distributions. Companies like Amazon and Xiaomi have refused to sign the agreement, and have built their own ecosystems and UI skins/launchers like MIUI, which Xiaomi has made available to other Chinese OEMs as well. So if we want hardware with webOS pre-installed, we must look to China. Not all their hardware is crap
    Has anyone tested the HP App Catalog today (or yesterday)? Is it still running, or is it officially down now? I've been out of town (on the road for work) and didn't back up my apps. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Has anyone tested the HP App Catalog today (or yesterday)? Is it still running, or is it officially down now? I've been out of town (on the road for work) and didn't back up my apps. LOL
    Still works, but no more new purchases. Everything you own and all free apps are still available, as of this moment
    Thanks Remy... I'll back-up all my apps tonight then while I can!
    I downloaded some apps just to use the icons for some I didn't like
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    There's unfortunately one big obstacle that we must overcome first... that Google has strong-armed all major OEMs into signing an agreement, where they promise not to compete with Google in exchange for the right to use the Google Play/Apps ecosystem. So no mainstream OEM will sell AOSP or webOS devices if they are already selling Google-approved Android distributions. Companies like Amazon and Xiaomi have refused to sign the agreement, and have built their own ecosystems and UI skins/launchers like MIUI, which Xiaomi has made available to other Chinese OEMs as well. So if we want hardware with webOS pre-installed, we must look to China. Not all their hardware is crap
    Typical corporate monopoly. But HP has the powerhouse to make their own apps, if they did their job, we wouldn't need Google Play. Webos doesn't have Google Play any ways lol.

I'm not a Android lover, love OS X if I could install that I'd be happy, since ipads are Arm CPU based apps would work on Touchpad.

Wish I took programing in school could of made OSX work on this touchpad, lol. WEBOS is still my favourite tablet Os if they kept it, best App Catalogue out there for simplicity.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yep HP App Catalog is still working, for me any ways, lol.

Just downloaded Free compass hd app, the other day ordered paid app.

I don't know, if it has something to do with me installing Restore preware app and backing up everything???