Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    So what do we have to do to back up our apps before the end of support that HP announced today?

What does it mean when they say that we won't be able to set up new devices in future? Does that mean that we're out of luck if we ever have to set up our devices from scratch after a factory reset? What do we need to back up to guard against that possibility?
    Everything will be fine

Rod (webOS Internals) has taken care of device activation stuff, and GMMan had a script for grabbing IPKs of apps as you download them from the app store. And that was over a year ago.

We'll all collectively get a system together where we can semi-automatically download already purchased apps and everyone would "vouch" for whatever paid app they have an IPK for... this would allow people to have "backup buddies" who bought the same app as them and could lend a backup copy if needed

Here's Preemptive's thread on this subject: January 15th, 2015 - The Plan
    and mine: http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...paid-apps.html

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    So what do we have to do to back up our apps before the end of support that HP announced today?

What does it mean when they say that we won't be able to set up new devices in future? Does that mean that we're out of luck if we ever have to set up our devices from scratch after a factory reset? What do we need to back up to guard against that possibility?
    Basically, what you're going to lose lose, is anything that is backed up to HP/Palm services. You'll always be able to bypass activation on any device, but it won't be able to get to HP anymore to retrieve anything that backs up to HP. So, your text messages, any contacts on the Palm profile, Calendar entries on the Palm profile, and possibly some other app data (SynerGV 2 backs up it's data to Palm profile by virtue of using the database to store everything). Applications and catalog will be toast.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Calendar and contacts can be retrieved from Google if you use Google apps, the cloud backup of your Memos will be lost, and grabbing an IPK of your paid apps is a "now or never" sitauation.

But overall, we still have advance notice, so it's "business as usual" if we get our stuff together. I'll do my part

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Please see this post (and thread) for the answers: HP App Catalog and cloud services to be shut down Jan 15, 2015
    All said above is correct, but PLEASE CHECK if your app is still available in app catalog PRIOR TO DELETING it and *redownload with the IPK backup patch. On top if the app saves data in an internal db you should backup this also by using e.g. the app save&restore before.

Else you will end without app/and personal data in it even before 15th of jan.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-discussion-lounge/328720-hp-app-catalog-cloud-services-shut-down-jan-15-2015-a-4.html#post3426342
    Remy X likes this.
    To save time in my rush to back up my TP & Pre3, is there a list of the "included" apps that load with a 3.05 Doctoring? I have a list of all my apps (taken from Software Manager), however don't want to delete/reload any apps that don't need to be backed up (those that would reload when Doctored). Not being lazy, just very short on time...