Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I know there have been several revival of old TouchPad threads. I'm getting back into webOS - starting to use my old Pre 3 and now my old white 64GB TouchPad.

I'm struggling to get it turned on. I have it charging with an official charger and cord (will give it a few more hours before I"m really concerned - just started charging it an hour ago).

In these revival threads it doesn't really say what the different power states are. I'm currently getting the home button to pulsate that white charging light. Is this a good sign that it is charging and at some point in the near future it'll turn on? Or do these dead TouchPads continue to act like they are charging with that home button indicator?

Any advise on how bad off my TouchPad is would be greatly appreciated.
    Pre 3 QWERTY, The Veer, GSM Pre 2 and GSM Pixi Plus - 64GB White TouchPad and 32GB Black TouchPad
    Pulsating light is usually a good sign as it indicates that it's charging.

The one problem might be that if you left it uncharged for too long, the battery might have reached the "too low" level to be recharged (this is for any battery).

Just be patient for a while. If it doesn't start back up after a day or so, try using a low power charger to get it to the point of the screen powering on (with the big battery icon), then switch to normal charger.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    boovish likes this.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Pulsating light is usually a good sign as it indicates that it's charging.

The one problem might be that if you left it uncharged for too long, the battery might have reached the "too low" level to be recharged (this is for any battery).

Just be patient for a while. If it doesn't start back up after a day or so, try using a low power charger to get it to the point of the screen powering on (with the big battery icon), then switch to normal charger.
    Great thanks - so was I right in thinking since my light is pulsating that it doesn't need that scary and time consuming Ubuntu hack to get it turned on? Most truly dead TouchPads won't even show that charging light?

It has been quite a while so hopefully after a few days of being on the normal charger it'll power on - why would a low power charger be better to use than the official one?
    Pre 3 QWERTY, The Veer, GSM Pre 2 and GSM Pixi Plus - 64GB White TouchPad and 32GB Black TouchPad
    Some here have found a low rating charger performs a trickle charge effect that can revive successfully but slowly. Give it a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaten View Post
    Great thanks - so was I right in thinking since my light is pulsating that it doesn't need that scary and time consuming Ubuntu hack to get it turned on? Most truly dead TouchPads won't even show that charging light?

It has been quite a while so hopefully after a few days of being on the normal charger it'll power on - why would a low power charger be better to use than the official one?
    There's a fault with the charging circuit on many Touchpads, which leads to the Ubuntu fix being needed.

And the circuit can be stupid if the battery is too low. A slow charge gets power to the battery slowly until the circuit kicks in back to normal.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Most of the time, you just let it sit long enough on the charger, and it'll pop on eventually. I've got one that's older than pretty much anyone else's, and it takes about 5 hours plugin time, before the power switch will turn it on. Once your battery is above a certain level, it should be good to go. Just seems like in some cases, it can take a ridiculously long time to get to that level. Out of the 6 that I've had the pleasure of using, I've had none that required anything more than plugging them into an original charger and waiting several hours, except one case where I had to do the hold-power-and-home-for-30-seconds dance to get it to start, because apparently it was locked up in some boot phase somewhere.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Great news - as mentioned here it just takes time - it took about 8 hours to show the dead battery screen and then by the morning it was up and running - much longer than any dead iPad would take, but it is alive and well. Will be putting it to use once again - just waiting on my nano SIM adapter to use the Pre 3 again as a daily driver for awhile.

Kind of curious how iOS 8 is adding continuity features that were shown off with the TouchPad and Pre 3 things like answering SMS on TouchPad, calling from the TouchPad, URL sharing etc. webOS ideas are very much alive, but as I'm using this OS again I remember why I loved webOS so much and how sad it is that it was abandoned.
    Be sure before you use that SIM adapter that it's a good one. A number Pre3 and Veer SIM slots have been destroyed when trying to remove one.