Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Proklamasi
  • 1 Post By Maverick0984
  1.    #1  
    So, I've had the HP Touchpad running HSTouch for quite a while on the kitchen countertop. It was always in the way and items would get pushed up against itand it got no use. I finally got approval from the head office (WAF) to wall-mount it in a custom frame. I actually made the frame first and showed it to her and she liked it!

My big concern was a sleek look. I didnt want any wires or big holes in the wall. I ended up just making a 3/8" hole for the power and a nail for the frame. The power cable drops straight down to the charger. I had to dig around on ebay to find a bottom-plug USB charger:

The frame itself is just scrap MDF I had laying around and I rabbeted the back to accept the tablet:

This shot shows the tablet mounted on the wall. I drilled a small hole to access the power button if needed without taking it down:

Finished product:

Most of the screens are done, but I still have a few to complete. I'll update on the software side later.

The HP Touchpad is probably the best $99 investment in my HA setup. It's been running for over a year with no problems.
    That's pretty cool! Are you running an app or browser based?
    I am curious too, what you are using for home automation. I have always wanted to do what you are showing here, but not taken the time to dig in. Have looked at iRule, which can work with my HAI Lumina controller, but anything that would somehow tie into my system would be great. Also have my old HomeVision sitting around, and also have a Vera3 running (yes, I guess I am a HA junkie!).

Thanks!

Matt
    Clearly an Android something or other there, HomeSeer: HSTouch for Android
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Proklamasi View Post
    So, I've had the HP Touchpad running HSTouch for quite a while on the kitchen countertop. It was always in the way and items would get pushed up against itand it got no use. I finally got approval from the head office (WAF) to wall-mount it in a custom frame. I actually made the frame first and showed it to her and she liked it!

My big concern was a sleek look. I didnt want any wires or big holes in the wall. I ended up just making a 3/8" hole for the power and a nail for the frame. The power cable drops straight down to the charger. I had to dig around on ebay to find a bottom-plug USB charger:

Click to view quoted image

The frame itself is just scrap MDF I had laying around and I rabbeted the back to accept the tablet:

This shot shows the tablet mounted on the wall. I drilled a small hole to access the power button if needed without taking it down:

Finished product:

Most of the screens are done, but I still have a few to complete. I'll update on the software side later.

The HP Touchpad is probably the best $99 investment in my HA setup. It's been running for over a year with no problems.
    That looks great! I wanted to point you in the direction of the following though which is pretty neat as well:

Motion Detector App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en
    Plugin for App: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B59...it?usp=sharing
    (Original post from author about plugin if you are so-so on the source, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...er/8ff75wdR6X0, check May 20th)

You can use this to wake up the tablet when you walk by as it will use the front camera to detect motion. I was using it on a Nexus 7 I planned to turn into a HA Dashboard, and then thought what the hell and tried it on the HP Touchpad running a recent CM11 snapshot from jscullins and it worked!

The only potential problem is you'd need to drill a whole in your frame where the camera sensor is but I think that is very worth it.

Any chance I could get you to build me 2 of your frames though? Unpainted?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.