Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  1.    #1  
    I have a 32GB Touchpad that has worked great for several years. It is running WebOS 3.0.5 and has never been doctored. I plugged it in to recharge Sunday evening after using it for about 30 minutes (using standard charging cord). The battery level at that point was at about 30%. When I unplugged it Monday morning, everything was fine....for a few minutes.

I first opened the browser to check a web site and then opened the Facebook app. I was scrolling through some posts and then saw an e-mail notification appear in the upper right notifications area. I swiped to the right to dismiss it, but as I did, it was like there was a screen update glitch on the Touchpad. I rectangular area below the notification message all the way to the bottom of the screen (across the Facebook app) blacked out...as if the video driver got confused as to what part of the screen it needed to update. At that point, I tried to hit the home button so I could close the Facebook app and open it again, but the screen was locked up. Nothing would respond.

As I tried various things to see if I could get it to unfreeze (volume up/down)...it was completely locked up and then the dark area suddenly expanded across the screen almost like it was some kind of popup message box that was expanding to fill the screen. You could still sort of see the Facebook app around the edges, but everything was still locked up.

So, next I tried a hard reboot (power button + home button for 15 seconds) and it did seem to reboot, but now nothing appeared on the screen at all. All I could see was the LCD back lighting. I know the reboot seemed to complete because I heard the sound that usually plays as the glowing HP logo disappears and the screen comes up.

So, any ideas on what could have happened and how to fix it? There had been no unusual symptoms with this Touchpad prior to this issue.
    Of course nobody wants to take a unit apart if it is not broke...

But I have heard of others who have taken apart their tablet, that the cable that connects the screen to the main board gets unconnected over time?

I also have seen the Tru-Touch cable that gets connected to the Digitizer and the Tru-Touch-Bread board also get disconnected and distorts touch (like you can only touch the right side of the digitizer or the left/top/bottom...

YMMV...

Could also be the Video chip failed, but I doubt it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Of course nobody wants to take a unit apart if it is not broke...

But I have heard of others who have taken apart their tablet, that the cable that connects the screen to the main board gets unconnected over time?

I also have seen the Tru-Touch cable that gets connected to the Digitizer and the Tru-Touch-Bread board also get disconnected and distorts touch (like you can only touch the right side of the digitizer or the left/top/bottom...

YMMV...

Could also be the Video chip failed, but I doubt it.
    I thought about that (screen cable to the main board might be loose or detached), but that seemed odd considering the tablet had not been dropped or jarred recently up to the point where the screen blanked out. But, I see your point that that is the most obvious first thing to check since based on the sounds it made on a reboot that it seemed to start up OK. I agree that it seems unlikely that the video chip failed. Looks like I will be opening the case...
  4.    #4  
    Well, I got the screen working again over the weekend. (Whoohoo!) Here are the details for anyone else that might have to make this same repair.

As John suggested, it must have been one of the screen cables was loose. (A video I found on Youtube showed how to pry open the case and then the three connectors that connect the screen to the mainboard.) None of them appeared to be loose, but I opened each clamp-down connector on the ribbon cables and made sure everything was in place when closing them again. (Sort of like pulling and reseating all the adapter cards in a PC.) Put things back together, powered up the Touchpad, and everything worked!

Only two things were a bit tricky in the whole process. First was powering down the Touchpad before opening the case. Since I could still hear sound, I was able to hold the power button down until I heard the tone that plays when the shutdown menu comes up. Then I had to "guess" where to touch to hit the Shutdown option instead of Airplane mode, but I got that right and eventually the backlight went out and it was shut down. The second was prying the case open. Even with plastic pry tools, it was a bit of a pain and I broke a case clip or two. But it seemed to finally go back together OK when I was done. One part of the edge does not look quite as pristine as when new any more....but a small price to pay to get the screen working again.
    Preemptive likes this.