Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By bimmin
  1.    #1  
    Seems as though OM has stopped developing their ACL software. No updates. No word from anyone at Phoenix or OM on these forums. Not one new app in the appmall in the past month. Not a single app in the mall updated to newer versions that I know were released. Anybody have any clue what is happening here. Seems like OM spent alot of time, money, etc to release a product and then completely abandon it a couple of months later.
    Hi Steven,

Hopefully someone from Phoenix will reply, you tried tweeting their account?

It was not OM rather the webOS users kick starter money that got ACL up and running as ACL had parked development for the webOS version until Phoenix got involved.

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Celebre View Post
    Seems like OM spent alot of time, money, etc to release a product and then completely abandon it a couple of months later.
    Sounds like they are following in HP's footsteps...
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    product delivered, job done, etc etc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi Steven,

Hopefully someone from Phoenix will reply, you tried tweeting their account?

It was not OM rather the webOS users kick starter money that got ACL up and running as ACL had parked development for the webOS version until Phoenix got involved.

Barry
    Yes, but it was kind of a bargain price.

As geekpeter says, the product was delivered. May be they will take it further, maybe they will focus on Tizen from now on. It's likely to be more lucrative. The number of touchpad users is only going in one direction...

On the optimistic side, Open webOS, Nexus 7, maybe even webOS TVs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Yes, but it was kind of a bargain price.

As geekpeter says, the product was delivered. May be they will take it further, maybe they will focus on Tizen from now on. It's likely to be more lucrative. The number of touchpad users is only going in one direction...

On the optimistic side, Open webOS, Nexus 7, maybe even webOS TVs...
    Come on LG. I'm counting on you. Please don't be another provider of disappointment. I need a new phone and it's either going to be a new Blackberry or a WebOS phone. ( I truly am a glutton for punishment. )
    eKeith likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Come on LG. I'm counting on you. Please don't be another provider of disappointment. I need a new phone and it's either going to be a new Blackberry or a WebOS phone. ( I truly am a glutton for punishment. )
    Also thinking about replacing my Pre3 with Blackberry. Physical keyboard > touch keyboard.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    eKeith likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Yes but I figured they would be at least interested in adding apps to their app mall. I know I can and have downloaded the Amazon app store and 1Mobile however it would be nice to not have to guess as to which ones will work etc. The ones in the OM app mall at least are tested and work for sure. When ACL came out apps were being added daily and now nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    Also thinking about replacing my Pre3 with Blackberry. Physical keyboard > touch keyboard.
    That's where I am as well. I have a Torch 9810 which is the best of both world's- using best loosely - as it has both a (small) touchscreen and a great physical keyboard. Although I still like my phone, it's lack of RAM slows it down a bunch. I was really tempted to find myself a pre3 and try that, but the prices seem to still be quite high to only get a phone that is in about the same boat as my Torch. I'm torn about just going for a Q10 with the keyboard or waiting out to see what BB has in store as they have hinted at up to four new models this fall. I also want to give LG time to see if they do bring a WebOS phone out. My Touchpad has spoiled me and now I want WebOS on my phone and only BB10 seems close to WebOS out there now.
    Last edited by joeytino; 05/15/2014 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    product delivered, job done, etc etc.
    Does ACL work then? I know there are a lot of threads about acl, but they are very long to read though (so sue me. i'm lazy :-) )

also, the info may not be current. Someone want summarize the current state of acl for me? is it crap or worth the $30?
    I don't have a touchpad & haven't tried it, but I'll summarise what I've seen written.

If you want Android apps, your choices are:
    Android device for $$$$
    Dual boot Android on your TP with a bit of effort and you'll need to reboot for Android, but free.
    ACL for TP for $30 or maybe you can still get $10 off that.

If you just want Android, get Android.
    I gather the CM versions for TP are pretty good, but don't fully support all hardware features yet. Also there's the reboot and lack of interaction with webOS.
    ACL will run as an app in webOS. Some say it works pretty well, You can get OM's app mall (tested apps) but with a bit of fiddling I think there are up to 3 other stores you can get including Google play & Amazon.
    The advice for a smooth install is to back up your TP and doctor it back to factory condition. This is how it is tested and OM can't really be expected to test even unreleased devices with homebrew hacks.
    Some of the complaints you may read are often coming from people who haven't followed the instructions or expect the ACL to work with their particular setup. But some who did still report problems. Others say it works pretty well. YMMV.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much you want those Android apps. A modern Android device will work fine. You can turn your TP into a cheap Android tablet for nothing. ACL will work with webOS and is pretty good value if it works for you and supports the apps you want. If you think ACL might be for you, then ultimately, you will have to wade through the threads to decide. Bear in mind that we are all more likely to post about our problems than about our contentment.

Maybe others will post about their experiences, but then, they probably already did on the ACL release thread...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/15/2014 at 11:34 AM.
    I also remember they implied that any money over and above the kickstarter was going to making ACL based on Android 4.x. I am not holding my breath on that at this point. If it happens I will be pleasantly surprised, but I wonder if that will require rebuying it or just an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    Does ACL work then? I know there are a lot of threads about acl, but they are very long to read though (so sue me. i'm lazy :-) )

also, the info may not be current. Someone want summarize the current state of acl for me? is it crap or worth the $30?
    Preemptive above has it nailed pretty much.

basically ACL will run Android 2.x apps, so nothing that requires higher, it also has no gfx acceleration so its only really suitable for simple stuff and "some" netflix type action. (also wont be able to work properly with apps that abuse/use bluetooth)

its handy to run some very simple android stuff while in webOS, however for a "full" android experience your better off dual booting with a real version of android for whatever ACL cant handle.

if webOS is a big deal for you, by all means try ACL, if its no big deal to you, go for the dual boot option, its free and largely works provided your not using the latest all singing all dancing version which will typically be partially working, older stuff will work better. (im still using a near 2 year old CM10 which is perfectly fine, i also use ACL, and can copy APK's from the real CM10 to the fake/ACL/webOS side to save time)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    they also said its coming to pre3 early on...
    I did write a review on ACL that you can see here: My First Review: ACL for webOS

I also wish they would do some revs to address some of the bugs and also enhance the app catalog or make it easier for a novice such as myself to get access to the google catalog, etc., but I do understand if they have stopped development given the limited audience...

I guess hope is not a good strategy here... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -dunn View Post
    they also said its coming to pre3 early on...
    they said that before more **** hit the fan and to try and gain more momentum at a guess, their a business tbh, if they had some form of alpha/work in progress actually showing on a pre3 then that may have changed things but at this stage (even the original OM/ACL 2011 era for the touchpad) you shouldnt really back something that doesnt exist yet.

just remember even now with all the devices/OS they "support" on their webpage/advertisements were still the only platform via a 3rd party (PIC) on kickstarter for the touchpad that has a release in the hands of the public and we werent even the first platform they courted.