Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By petbull
  • 4 Post By joeytino
  • 1 Post By iOS Gravity
  • 1 Post By kataran
  • 3 Post By imfallen_angel
  1.    #1  
    This has to be the most depressing article I've read in a long time. Look at the number 2 all-time product flop.

5 worst product flops of all time- MSN Money
    Yes, the usual lack of context regarding the state HP management had been in for some years. Not the only reason for webOS' problems, but significant.
    second worst product of all time? I don't think so. It wasn't a great product and at it's original price point was not attractive, but it still lives because of the fire sale. price affects the value. Had there been a followup product that improved on the deficiencies, we wouldn't discuss the Touchpad 1.

Worst management of all time? I buy that all day long!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    The touchpad would have been better if webOS hadn't been shut down

topaz-theverge-1_560.jpg

webos-lost-1-theverge-2_1020-2.jpg
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    It certainly did flop at the hands of HP. They shot it in the foot by pricing it wrong. As for the UI, if they had gone forward and made all the icons monochrome like that I would have been pretty pissed off. There is nothing attractive about those launcher icons. It's not running on a Kindle with a monochrome screen!
    I think flop is overused...Sorry for the length here.

Remember when the 3DS originally came out everyone thought they saw the writing on the wall for Nintendo. Once the price was dropped they flew off the shelves and are still the go to portable gaming device short of a tablet leaving the PSVita pretty much in the dust. (And to a large extent the Wii U as well) If HP could have learned anything from that they would have cut the prices of the TP to maybe not to the level of the firesale pricing, but lower than the ipad and continuing webOS development they might have seen the same thing. They had the 4G and 64GB TP already on sale in some areas and the Go ready for production over a year ahead of the ipad mini. They had several features that the ipad is only just now getting, although the gesture controls are still sorely lacking on the ipad. Hardware wise - in my opinion - the TP had better sound and the speakers are on the long side of the tablet where they should be and inductive charging.

If HP did not contract a case of cold feet I think they would have prevailed before Android gained a solid footing. Probably they should have had the TP ready to ship when they were announced instead of the July date giving the ipad 2 time to suck a lot of their air out of the room as it was on sale shortly after it was announced and before the TP shipped to stores. Also more aggressive updating of webOS would have helped a lot as well. If Touch to Share was fully implemented that would have been a big feature and might have also added some new webOS phone users. The pre3 was ready and the WindsorKnot close but still not ready for release. Also having not closed up the webOS shop and all of those cheaper webOS devices sold, developers may have been more inclined to support webOS. It would have not taken that many more apps to make a big enough difference. Netflix comes immediately to mind and the only app that made me install Android on my TP.

I often wonder what HP and or old palm people think seeing how our TP's - and pre phones for those who have them - are still in daily use. Even though my wife bought me an ipad for Christmas I use my TP quite regularly and I find webOS simply better than android and IOS. (I hate to admit this, but I have three TPs. Two were cheap craigslist finds with blown android installs and I figured while my main one charges I have another one to use and the last was an easy android tablet for my boys). Add those that have android running on them and that number increases. These are pretty hardy devices and have held up rather well considering they are now close to three years old.

HP threw in the towel too soon.

That's my opinion...I could be wrong.
    Last edited by joeytino; 04/18/2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Its funny how HP used to be on the top and know its at the bottom same thing happened to BlackBerry. The TouchPad was a pretty good device though.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    kataran likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    Its funny how HP used to be on the top and know its at the bottom same thing happened to BlackBerry. The TouchPad was a pretty good device though.
    Exactly.

Remember when an HP printer was pretty much bullet proof? I have a Laserjet 4+ from the mid 90's that STILL works great. Only bummer about it is my Touchpad does not see it but does see my color 4500n and Envy 114a (Another plus for the TP was out of the box printing ability!)

HP would never dream of making a printer like that today, and it would likely cost a lot because of the quality of the construction and the amount of metal parts in there. And of course because you would not have to buy another printer for about 10 years.
    2nd worst flop of all time? No. A flop? Yes.

You guys can gripe about everything surrounding the Touchpad but it was doomed when it hit retail 3 months after the iPad2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post

You guys can gripe about everything surrounding the Touchpad but it was doomed when it hit retail 3 months after the iPad2.
    Exactly as I mentioned above as one of the mistakes HP made

...at the same price.

Offering it as a high quality but cheaper alternative might have worked, but of course, we'll never know.

TP: Good hardware in plastic case
    Ipad2: Best in class hardware in metal case
    Price: The same.

If like most people, you knew nothing of webOS, which would you choose?
    The TP did not get good reviews. Within 2 weeks, HP had dropped the price by $100 with a $50 coupon on top of that.

WebOS is great. The TouchPad wasn't.
    The TP is still a great device it just got a bad rap
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Considering that my first experience with WebOS was the original Pre, which was slow and laggy, didn't work right (the demo at the store), I passed on it for over a year (but I wasn't at the point of getting a smartphone yet either). So regardless of me being a very adamant fan of Palm, WebOS was too unpolished yet, it just didn't have the same feel.

Then, I slipped on ice, broke my phone, needed a replacement and the Pre, now with a much updated version of WebOS, which was much faster, etc. and how it looked, it was the best phone they had.

I found out fairly quickly that they did catch up on making WebOS "right", and it didn't take long that I was hooked.

Took me months to track down a Pre2, as I read on the improvement it had over the Pre. Never looked back again (until I decided to get a Pre3).

So the Touchpad comes out, I read about it, but I don't even get to see it in stores to only find out about the fire sale and miss it. So all I see are the crooks trying to cash in selling it at pathetic prices, so I wait.. and 6 months later I finally see some at decent prices and get one... the wife wants one (or plans to keep mine), so I end up getting her one, then a spare for the kids (and in case mine dies).

I've played with iPads, many models of Android ones, and they all seem to be so behind, they are hard to use, are missing so many features that I wouldn't consider getting one.

It's an older device now, but still, the quality of the speakers, the fact that it's got both 5 and 2.4 wifi capacity, TouchStone, etc. that new devices are barely starting to catch up for such features if they even are.

Sure compared to today machines, web page loading time is horrible compared to a new Android machine, but this is a 2-3 year old device which still delivers overall.

Was it "perfect".. no, it does have some flaws or improvements that could have been done, if there would have been a V2, V3 to follow.

It's been established that the head of HP wanted it to fail, he nearly managed to cause HP to be the stupidest company in the world be cancelling everything it did to turn it into a server business only... He was canned, but sadly WebOs was the #1 victim.

WebOS was the killer mobile device system, had it received a chance and proper management, but thanks to so many bad circumstances, it never had a chance.

Had they managed to get out earlier, had they had better pricing, so many possibilities, heck even the fire sale exposed so many to WebOs that they could have turned things around then, but again, lost opportunities.

So was the Touchpad a flop? no, it's management and killing it off was.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04/23/2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Wow that is crappy :/
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    The TP did not get good reviews. Within 2 weeks, HP had dropped the price by $100 with a $50 coupon on top of that.

WebOS is great. The TouchPad wasn't.
    Start with explaining to me why I have one right next to me, which is still working great, has better speakers than any other tablet, and does everything that I need out of a tablet.

Then explain to me why all the new features that I've seen on iOS and Android strangely mimics or plain out copies features that the Touchpad/WebOs has had for years. Heck last year, a co-worker with a brand new Transformer (Asus) didn't even have the 5Ghz WIFI capacity. I've seen people with newer tablets that failed on them while all of my three Touchpads are still working fine (aside one that required the TPdeBrick due to kids letting it go completely dead which messed the charging unit).

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it has been great for me. It's more about perspective after all, isn't it, and sorry but most reviews that come out at the time did nothing but compare to the other platforms, which the reviewer already had a stake in (already sold on iOS or Android), so another platform was not something many wanted.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    If you bought a TP for $99 in the fire sale, that's why you have one. Your take on reviewers is silly.
    Comparing the Touchpad to the Edsel is ludicrous.

The Edsel was an ugly car. The Touchpad was a decent start that got ugly when HP forgot Business 101. The morons almost destroyed the largest PC company - and made mobile even more difficult to re-establish.

End of story.
    If you bought a TP for $99 in the fire sale, that's why you have one. Your take on reviewers is silly.
    I gather that your post targets mine....

so..

1) I didn't get to see the Touchpad in stores as I stated, I never got to see it before I bought my first one 6 months after the firesale. I got it because it was WebOS. I wasn't considering a tablet for a long time, but at some point decided to look into getting one (and no question about it, I wanted WebOs), and after playing with the ones available in stores and what co-workers had, I decided to stick with WebOs and take a "chance" with a Touchpad without ever seeing one aside online reviews and videos. By that time, if HP hadn't been idiots, a Touchpad II would probably have been almost out or in the works, and at least, I might have been able to see a Touchpad in the stores by then.

Had I seen it in stores, I would have saved up to get one. So the firesale didn't push me towards the choice of getting one, the firesale got me to have to have to wait 6 months before finding one that was a fair price as scalpers went nuts on them, and at this point, it was discontinued, so full price was no longer a logical choice.

Remember that I ended up buying three of them once the scalpers' stock ran out and people started to sell them at decent price (still more than the firesale price). I paid around 200$+ each for the ones I have, with some cases and a keyboard as extra bonuses, but had to get Touchstones too. So I spent a lot more than the original price, but instead of support and such, I ended up with multiple devices for the money. If HP would have not done the throat cutting, things would have been different, and I know that I'd have gotten one, and then got a V.2 (and pass my V1 to my wife, as I've done with my Pre).

2) reviews, sorry but just about all the reviews I read about the Touchpad upon it's release were very biased. Very few things were said that weren't comparative in it's entirety to Apple or Android tablets, and all pretty much missed or avoided stating the features that made it stand out. And these are the features that iOS and Android have done nothing but copy since.

Heck, the closest I got to buying another tablet was the Blackberry one (Playbook) as it was very close to WebOs in a few ways and testing it out at the store was the first tablet (aside the Touchpad) that didn't make me want to throw it against a wall within 10 seconds... and they killed that one too.

Where the biggest issue was, is the number of Apps... everyone wanted thousands of Apps instantly for a new platform that barely got out the door. The number of people that sold their Touchpads never really cared about the technology, they wanted Apps, there just wasn't enough versions of Angry Birds games on the Touchpad.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04/23/2014 at 05:01 PM.
    I see a pattern...
    I was a Palm user since the VX. I had a Treo 600, later a 755P and was drooling for the launch of WebOS.

I bought a Pre week 1, HATED it and later spent over 2 years with a Pixie.

When the TouchPad was on it's way, I was drooling for it, went to several retailers and demo'd the TouchPad and found it to be a clunky POS.

As of today I do not own a tablet but if I was going to get one it would be an iPad, hands down.