webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > [Solved - PAMS3028 error] 4G TouchPad can't login to Palm Profile
[Solved - PAMS3028 error] 4G TouchPad can't login to Palm Profile
Like Tree2Likes

Old 04/02/2014, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Perhaps I missed something...I just got a 4G TouchPad. I cannot login to my Palm Profile at first log on regardless of whether I'm connected via SIM or WiFi. I bypassed activation to look around and everything seems fine. webOS version 3.0.5. One thing I noticed about initial log on setup is there are only two languages available. I think the wifi only TouchPad has several to choose from. Something doesn't seem right. You all think I should doctor?
Old 04/03/2014, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I do get a PAMS uh, I guess error after I try logging in. I'll check the number after it tonight. I read some demo units hit the market and wonder if this one is a remnant. I tried doctoring but it gets to 8% and tells me the doctor isn't compatible. I redownloaded the ATT 4G doctor and tried again. Same thing. What the what?
Old 04/03/2014, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I do get a PAMS uh, I guess error after I try logging in. I'll check the number after it tonight. I read some demo units hit the market and wonder if this one is a remnant. I tried doctoring but it gets to 8% and tells me the doctor isn't compatible. I redownloaded the ATT 4G doctor and tried again. Same thing. What the what?

Could be demo indeed! Not that it cannot be fixed ;-) Tweaking the token to a production version should do. I have a 4G that's fine so happy to assist :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 04/03/2014 at 01:04 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2014, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Error is "We were unable to sign you in. Please try again in a few minuntes or contact HP (etc)". Code is PAMS3028. I'm going to bypass activation and load up impostah and see what I can see...
Old 04/03/2014, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Impostah sourced the error for me. I installed impostah and device profile override. Changed from SDK Emulator to TouchPad 3G. Tried to log in to my profile and got PAMS3028 invalid serial number. Any thoughts? Def a new one for me!
Old 04/03/2014, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is serial # one you can override with Impostah?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2014, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I don't think so. I did some more comparing with my wifi only 16 GB TP and see that the softwareBuildBranch doesn't match. Under device info both TPs show webOS 3.0.5 but while the wifi only one should a softwareBuildBranch of HP webOS 3.0.5, the 4G TouchPad has HP webOS 3.0.4. I might try the 3.0.4 doctor and see if I have better luck. Thoughts on that before I try?
Old 04/03/2014, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I tried both version of 3.0.4 available but both believed they were not compatible with my device. If I can't get this device to login to and restore from my webOS profile then I'm in trouble. Rod mentions something about this issue here Activation problem with Touchpad Go although it's in reference to the TouchPad Go.
Old 04/03/2014, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've emailed HP support. We'll see where that gets me. Also, I did this for fun. TouchPad 4G, Go, and Go 3G available for HP product registration, should you happen to have one | webOS Nation Registered both the 4G TP and Go. Why not?
Old 04/03/2014, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Developer

You could use Impostah's chameleonic capabilities to impersonate a production device ...

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2014, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks for the reply, Rod. Is there a list of chameleon identities?
Old 04/04/2014, 06:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Maybe I misunderstood you. I'm currently impersonating a 3G TouchPad but I've also tried the WiFi setting. Neither allow me to log into my palm profile. I do not know what to put in chameleon identity if that's what you were suggesting. Also, the wiki for impostah seems to discourage its use so that's why I'm here asking for help.

I realize now the buildbranch mismatch is how impostah emulates a 3G touchpad so that's not an issue I suppose. My productSku is FB354UA#ABA and for more help troubleshooting I have cleared my device profile overrides and attached my com.palm.deviceprofile.json file.

After pluggin in the TouchPad in USB mode for the first time since I got it I now see a couple things that are interesting to me. There is an FSCK0000.REN file. The USB partition hasn't been formatted clearly but it seems that this TouchPad may have been recovered from an error along the way before me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.palm.deviceprofile.zip (610 Bytes, 3 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Alan Morford; 04/04/2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: clarified, added link
Alan Morford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2014, 06:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You should be able to use Nova Device Installer (NDI) with the webOS.tar that you can extract from the Doctor. That should ignore the issues you have now with the Doctor. I suspect afterwards you will also be able to login to your profile.
Old 04/04/2014, 06:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
Maybe I misunderstood you. I'm currently impersonating a 3G TouchPad but I've also tried the WiFi setting. Neither allow me to log into my palm profile. I do not know what to put in chameleon identity if that's what you were suggesting. Also, the wiki for impostah seems to discourage its use so that's why I'm here asking for help.

I realize now the buildbranch mismatch is how impostah emulates a 3G touchpad so that's not an issue I suppose. My productSku is FB354UA#ABA and for more help troubleshooting I have cleared my device profile overrides and attached my com.palm.deviceprofile.json file.

After pluggin in the TouchPad in USB mode for the first time since I got it I now see a couple things that are interesting to me. There is an FSCK0000.REN file. The USB partition hasn't been formatted clearly but it seems that this TouchPad may have been recovered from an error along the way before me.
Comparing my working 4G to yours you are missing a few things:

You do not have a Device Model set it should be something like HSTNH-I30C.
You do not have a Hardware Version set it should be something like A1 or E3
You do not have a serialNumber set it should be something like 5CL1234567
You do not have a HPSerialNumber set it should be something like 180-12345-12

You can use the doctor to write these settings into your token (which does retain after doctors as it is read and re-applied during the doctor (it is on the NAND))

You can also write to the token set on the device (do not remember the commands off hand), but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
You should be able to use Nova Device Installer (NDI) with the webOS.tar that you can extract from the Doctor. That should ignore the issues you have now with the Doctor. I suspect afterwards you will also be able to login to your profile.
Yes you can always by-pass and mount and push a TAR, but the preferred way is to set the tokens right and run the doctor as it set's up the OS correctly for use.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2014, 07:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

When I impersonate devices, impostah pulls in that data for me. I suppose those settings don't get baked in though since I know I tried to doctor after setting them a couple of times. I'm not sure where to find Nova Device Installer. Also, are we sure that that data is there on a bypassed TouchPad? I can check when I get home tonight on my Wifi Touchpad. I'll just reset it and bypass it to see.
Old 04/04/2014, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
When I impersonate devices, impostah pulls in that data for me. I suppose those settings don't get baked in though since I know I tried to doctor after setting them a couple of times. I'm not sure where to find Nova Device Installer. Also, are we sure that that data is there on a bypassed TouchPad? I can check when I get home tonight on my Wifi Touchpad. I'll just reset it and bypass it to see.
Those tokens are required and missing and they are there during the OEM process, once released from HP/Palm those can be altered but, normally one would not alter them, however, in your case there are commands to write tokens either during the meta doctor process or via a command line (but I do not know the commands off hand).

The doctor will look for them to compare if they do not match the doctor will not run, you can use the meta doctor to create a script that fixes your tokens and then you can use the default doctor to fix your OS build.
Old 04/04/2014, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
You can use NovaTerm to backup your token partition to a file.

I can post the command for this when I get home.

You didn't get NDI with your Go? I have it available for you if needed
Old 04/04/2014, 08:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks for the reply, John. I think we both know that I don't know how to do that. But let me take a stab (like I normally do before I cry for help).
1. Pull tokens from the Show Properties app from a working 4G TouchPad
2. Insert them into the 4G TP webOS 3.0.5 doctor thusly Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS Internals (give or take)
3. Either complete those steps with a meta doctor script or smash the castle.xml back into the original doctor (not sure if the MD5 would need to be force altered)
4. Doctor

Close? I'm trying here, John, I swear.
Old 04/04/2014, 08:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
You can use NovaTerm to backup your token partition to a file.

I can post the command for this when I get home.

You didn't get NDI with your Go? I have it available for you if needed
Not only do I not have NDI, I have no idea what it does. Show Properties makes extracting tokens pretty simple too.
Old 04/04/2014, 08:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, John. I think we both know that I don't know how to do that. But let me take a stab (like I normally do before I cry for help).
1. Pull tokens from the Show Properties app from a working 4G TouchPad
2. Insert them into the 4G TP webOS 3.0.5 doctor thusly Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS Internals (give or take)
3. Either complete those steps with a meta doctor script or smash the castle.xml back into the original doctor (not sure if the MD5 would need to be force altered)
4. Doctor

Close? I'm trying here, John, I swear.
Close enough the meta doctor would need to be setup to remove the carrier detect and model check, you can look at the Make file and modify the files yourself (in the doctor), but it is easier to let the script do it.

But yes, get your tokens bake them into a doctor which will run on any device (ignoring model and carrier checks), fix your tokens then run the correct doctor for the tokens you have fixed and it should work (if you set them to the correct values).

You can follow Rod's example of how to change keyboard mappings:
How to permanently change the qwertz/azerty/qwerty keyboard mapping

Same idea but you need different tokens modified

But you can also modify the tokens on the device