1.    #1  
    For those 4G TouchPad owners and the rare TouchPad Go owners who have upgraded to a Sierra MC77X0 series PCIe wireless card, are you showing 3G or H+?

I recently had a conversation with webOS forums user, NewbyJE, about this very topic. After doing several speed tests and swapping my APN (I'm using a prepaid T-Mobile SIM) to fast.t-mobile.com from wap.voicestream.com I was able to get about 16Mbps down and around 7Mbps up. Not too shabby. However, according to my dmesg.txt, til.log, and wan.log, NewbyJE determined not all was well. webOS never seems to believe that I am connected to speeds worthy of an H+ icon and only ever shows 3G. Yes, this is only an aesthetic problem but there are roots to a deeper issue.

This is what he had to say, "WebOS shows the 'H+' icon when connected at the Ericsson HSPA Evol speed ("networktype":"hspa-4g" in the WebOS wan.log). Specifically, the 'H+' icon is selected when the connection speed exceeds normal HSDPA (3G) speeds; the selection shows up in the til.log as the '4G icon'. I do not think the selection has anything to do with the band. Therefore, I suspect that you are not really connected at LTE speed, or even HSPA speed, if the '3G' icon is showing up".

He further recommended to take my phone's SIM out (presuming of course that I had one but that's beside the point) and use it in the Go to test a proper H+ or 4G SIM/APN combination. I couldn't do that so I took out the Go's T-Mobile SIM and popped it into my Veer. No kidding, H+. APN was wap.voicestream.com (the same APN my Go autoconfigured originally). Took it out and popped it back into my Go...3G. Hmmmm.

As I type this I wonder if there's something hanging back from the Ericsson being in the device. Perhaps a doctor? Don't get me wrong, I hate doctoring needlessly but I'd really like to nail this down. Anyone have ideas?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Most likely the software bits for the Sierra were never 100% developed in the TIL and therefore not always working 100% as expected. The speeds are there, many times better compared to the Ericsson so I wouldn't worry too much about the icon ;-) If someone knows ARM assembly it might be possible to patch the binary (same for sending and receiving SMS though :-P)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    I wonder if John Steffes build of the Go doctor with 4G modules incorporated would fair better. Come to think of it...before I had the t-mobile SIM in I was using a Net10 SIM on that build and saw H+. Hmmm.
    Follow me on Twitter
    MC7700 - via Testra carrier - in 4GTP (& tried in a 'Go') still only showing 3G icon.. although it is noticably faster than the 'Ericsson' in both Wifi & also Radio speeds anyway.

I see only these network icons::

1x (1x)
    edge (E)
    evdo (Ev)
    gprs (G)
    hsdpa (H)
    hsdpa+ (H+)
    roaming (R)
    umts (U)

So 'H+' = 4G speeds, yes.

I think Steffes used the TP4G framework to 'superize' the Go 305 anyway.. so if you are apparently not getting 'H+' on a TP4G, it is reasonable not to expect it on such a 'Go' iether?
    'Newby JE' would probably know if any upgraded Sierra drivers got incorporated ~
    I think 'Herrie' also had/has a glitch with this in EU?

Here in Australia the carriers are still working out which frequencies to use in thier LTE fight... so I may end up having to install an MC7710 for true LTE speeds anyway!

MC7700 Specifications:

Air Interface: LTE
    HSPA+
    GSM
    GPRS
    EDGE

Frequency Bands:
    LTE 700 (B17)/AWS
    WCDMA 850/1900/2100 MHz
    EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

~~~

MC7710 Specifications:

Air Interface LTE
    HSPA+
    EDGE
    GPRS
    GSM

Peak Download Rate 100 Mbps
    Peak Upload Rate 50 Mbps

Frequency Bands:
    LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
    WCDMA 900/2100 MHz
    EDGE/GPRS/GSM 900/1800/1900

Perhaps it is a Driver issue?

PS. I prefer attached Motral "network-3g-connected.png" icon to stare at anway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/30/2014 at 04:14 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Being on AT&T (tablet plan ~250M), I can not compare, I have never seen the H+ only the 3G...

However, I have not swapped the default PCI-Express Modem, the SIM card used is the one from my Touchpad 4G, activated on the Touchpad Go (The AT&T store was drooling over the Touchpad Go, even liked the modified Touchpad cover, yes they actually knew what a Touchpad 4G was and what it looked like)...

But I have only seen the 3G icon (on AT&T), even on the Touchpad 4G, I have a few Android tabs (NextBook), that I do have a Dongle for, but I have not tested the SIM in those...

Although I have Verizon for my Phone (which is unlimited), I wanted to test what a connected tablet would feel like (instead of always tethering)...

Also the webOS 3.0.5 build for the Go was from a backup, the Super script does swap out the Touchpad 4G modules (that are updated), but it does not swap out the network modules or network icons, so it is what the default webOS 3.0.5 Go build had.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/06/2014 at 12:23 AM.
  6.    #6  
    I know for a fact that my Net10 card was getting H+ on the Go while I was on my last business trip. I still had the Ericsson card in it then too. It sounds like I care about the little worthless icon but I really don't. I'm curious about what is triggering the device to believe it is connecting at a certain speed. Curious. My Net10 card is disabled now though since I'm using the T-Mobile one though.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Wait isn't the Ericsson module 3G only? I'm using an AT&T pre-paid tablet data plan and I only get 3G speeds with my Ericsson.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  8.    #8  
    You are correct. The Ericsson is only good up to 3G speeds. We're talking about replacing that module with a Sierra MC77X0. But my Go showed me the H+ icon anyway. It doesn't seem like the Go is very good at determining connected speeds and choosing which icon to show.
    Follow me on Twitter
    OK, so while digging in the Super doctor you made Alan, I found 2 separate files. One for Ericsson and another for Sierra. Perhaps a Doctor will fix it, and make it show the H+ icon

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 4.12.23 PM.png
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    I just finished installing a Sierra card in my Go today. I show H+ on the bar. Doesn't seem to be much faster than the Ericsson, though. I'm on AT&T.

I don't know if there are any settings I could change to improve the modem performance. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    My Go has room for a card(?) in it. Does that automatically mean it's 3g/4g capable?

Still trying to work out how to Doctor/get past the login screen.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    My Go has room for a card(?) in it. Does that automatically mean it's 3g/4g capable?

Still trying to work out how to Doctor/get past the login screen.
    All Go's have room for a card. Most Go's are 3G/4G capable (these also have a SIM-slot). There are also some WiFi only Go's that DO have the room for a card, but NO SIM-slot!

To bypass login screen: Use NDI (Nova Device Installer) to flash instead of Doctor and bypass profile Or create a Meta Doctor
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    All Go's have room for a card. Most Go's are 3G/4G capable (these also have a SIM-slot). There are also some WiFi only Go's that DO have the room for a card, but NO SIM-slot!

To bypass login screen: Use NDI (Nova Device Installer) to flash instead of Doctor and bypass profile Or create a Meta Doctor
    It seems I got the one you speak of. Got a slot for the card but no SIM slot, guess there's nothing I can do unless there's a car which has a SIM slot in it? Guessing not.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    It seems I got the one you speak of. Got a slot for the card but no SIM slot, guess there's nothing I can do unless there's a car which has a SIM slot in it? Guessing not.
    Can you take a picture of it with the back removed? I can confirm if it's the WiFi only model. The WiFi only ones I've seen had a dedicated GPS module installed in the card slot, but I heard there are also some without this dedicated GPS card.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I guess I got the bare basics? Damn, data connection would've been very nice indeed.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Don't know where to get the Devicetool.jar for this device.
    Indeed the WiFi version which actually seems to be a bit less common. The ones I had in my hands had a card in there with a GPS module that covered half the space and a black spacer for the other half. See attached picture. You don't really need DeviceTool.jar, NovaDeviceInstaller works very well. You can contact me by PM if you need some help
    Attached Images Attached Images