Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I'm down to my last OEM HP USB cable and need to find suitable replacements. HP branded ones are just too expensive and unreliable (3 died in the last 18 months). Has anyone found a good, reliable replacement cable? I know some members here have torn down the OEM HP cable and noticed two of the wires were thicker than the rest, in order to carry the extra current needed for the TP. Has anyone found cables with similar construction?
    been using cables from Sony, Samsung, and Nexus for years without problem, even an included cable from an unknown brand Mifi. As long as the power adapter is from HP, any other cable should be no issue.
    I've used so many cables from every device I have, the ones that came with the Touchpad, with the Pres, with my other devices, several retractable ones from eBay vendors, and I have never had one cable fail on me.

I guess I'm not very rough with them, the worse thing I've had was with a retractable one that the casing of the spring broke.

If I had to choose one, the best cable I have (mini-plug) is actually the cable that came with my Creative Sound Blaster wireless headphones. It's a very nice, strong, thick cable with very nice cable cloth-type covering, and much longer than every other cable I have, so it was very useful when I needed the extra length.

I don't know if they sell those individually, but if the price was fair, I'd consider getting a spare one.

(pictures on this page: Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage USB Gaming Headset - Creative Labs (UK))

Check for braided cables, they appear to be made to last longer and handle more abuse.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I've used so many cables from every device I have, the ones that came with the Touchpad, with the Pres, with my other devices, several retractable ones from eBay vendors, and I have never had one cable fail on me.

I guess I'm not very rough with them, the worse thing I've had was with a retractable one that the casing of the spring broke.

If I had to choose one, the best cable I have (mini-plug) is actually the cable that came with my Creative Sound Blaster wireless headphones. It's a very nice, strong, thick cable with very nice cable cloth-type covering, and much longer than every other cable I have, so it was very useful when I needed the extra length.

I don't know if they sell those individually, but if the price was fair, I'd consider getting a spare one.

(pictures on this page: Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage USB Gaming Headset - Creative Labs (UK))

Check for braided cables, they appear to be made to last longer and handle more abuse.
    Stay away from the very cheap fake cables sold on eBay even if they look like genuine Nokia, Samsung and HTC Cables. These copies have very thin conductors (30AWG or less) and are incapable of carrying the 2 Amps drawn by the TouchPad.

The TouchPad Cable uses 22AWG conductors for the +5V and Gnd lines and thinner conductors for the Data lines. I have a pile of the cheap clone cables and whereas they will work with Phones and for data connection, they will only charge at around 500mA.

The original Cables that are provided with Samsung Galaxy S series Phones are of good quality and work well but I mistakenly bought some cables on eBay which were listed as Samsung Originals and they turned out to be fakes!

My solution was to buy Cable and free plugs and make up my own cables but I realise that this may not be an option for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Stay away from the very cheap fake cables sold on eBay even if they look like genuine Nokia, Samsung and HTC Cables. These copies have very thin conductors (30AWG or less) and are incapable of carrying the 2 Amps drawn by the TouchPad.

The TouchPad Cable uses 22AWG conductors for the +5V and Gnd lines and thinner conductors for the Data lines. I have a pile of the cheap clone cables and whereas they will work with Phones and for data connection, they will only charge at around 500mA.

The original Cables that are provided with Samsung Galaxy S series Phones are of good quality and work well but I mistakenly bought some cables on eBay which were listed as Samsung Originals and they turned out to be fakes!

My solution was to buy Cable and free plugs and make up my own cables but I realise that this may not be an option for everybody.
    Odd... I just took one of the "cheap" retractable cables with dual connector (both mini and micro, making it a very useful cable for all devices), using my spare Touchpad charger, and tested with Dr. Battery, and power is coming in fine at pretty much the full capacity, more so than the Touchstone (at around half the incoming power of the direct wired connection)

We aren't charging a car battery here... but anyways, to the OP, if cables appear to be an issue, why not just get a Touchstone?

I love mine(s), just drop the Touchpad on it when not in use, no cables to handle, no chance of breaking the connector, etc.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Could you post the source for the retractable cable which works for you. I haven't had much success with these and some of them don't even have the data lines connected (Charging Cables only!).

My Touchstone charges at slightly under 1500mA but the Barrel Charger and my Car Charger charges at a maximum of almost 2 Amps if the TouchPad is near fully discharged. The charge rate decays fairly sharply as the TouchPad Battery charges, if the TouchPad is not in use. If in use, the rate of current draw stays high for over two hours.

My own quest for low resistance cables was initially for my Raspberry Pi which is very sensitive to under-voltage. Only the TouchPad Cable and the genuine Samsung Cables were man enough for that. This is why I resorted to making my own cables but that is a fiddly and precision soldering job and not for everybody.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Odd... I just took one of the "cheap" retractable cables with dual connector (both mini and micro, making it a very useful cable for all devices), using my spare Touchpad charger, and tested with Dr. Battery, and power is coming in fine at pretty much the full capacity, more so than the Touchstone (at around half the incoming power of the direct wired connection)

We aren't charging a car battery here... but anyways, to the OP, if cables appear to be an issue, why not just get a Touchstone?

I love mine(s), just drop the Touchpad on it when not in use, no cables to handle, no chance of breaking the connector, etc.
    I have 3 Touchstones. And 3 TPs. They aren't very convenient for the treadmill, elliptical, rec. bike, driving, outside, etc.

Thanks for the input. The most reliable ones I've found so far are OEM Samsung cables, which I grab whenever there's a good sale, just checking to see if anyone had found the "perfect" non-HP cable.
    Ive had success with the Belkin retractables. But the TS originals are my most durable. I'm surprised you're going thru them.
    Could you post the source for the retractable cable which works for you. I haven't had much success with these and some of them don't even have the data lines connected (Charging Cables only!).

My Touchstone charges at slightly under 1500mA but the Barrel Charger and my Car Charger charges at a maximum of almost 2 Amps if the TouchPad is near fully discharged. The charge rate decays fairly sharply as the TouchPad Battery charges, if the TouchPad is not in use. If in use, the rate of current draw stays high for over two hours.

My own quest for low resistance cables was initially for my Raspberry Pi which is very sensitive to under-voltage. Only the TouchPad Cable and the genuine Samsung Cables were man enough for that. This is why I resorted to making my own cables but that is a fiddly and precision soldering job and not for everybody.
    Just on ebay... nothing special, just made sure that they were power AND data cables.

From this seller, but the ones I got are black, his stock appear to be white ones now (link provided for example as per request, I am not promoting this seller aside stating that I bought these type of cables from him and they work fine) :

2 in1 Retractable USB Male to Mini Micro 5 Pin Sync Data Charger Cable for HTC W | eBay
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    I have 3 Touchstones. And 3 TPs. They aren't very convenient for the treadmill, elliptical, rec. bike, driving, outside, etc.

Thanks for the input. The most reliable ones I've found so far are OEM Samsung cables, which I grab whenever there's a good sale, just checking to see if anyone had found the "perfect" non-HP cable.

errr.... how are these activities for a tablet, let alone needing to have it plugged in?

And the battery being able to last many hours, even when watching videos, why the need to plug it in during these activities?

If you are listening to music... a Touchstone, the Touchpad placed close by and use good Bluetooth stereo headphones.

Have you considered an external powerpack?

And as I mentioned, the Creative Lab cable that came with my headset is the best micro USB cable I've ever seen, but I would believe that other similar braided cables would also be good, most state being heavy duty, etc.

I know that regular rubberized cables now all seem cheap compared to this one.
    I see a pattern...
    <thread cleansed / some posts removed>

Folks... please keep comments polite. A little patience and understanding goes a long way.

Thanks!

I will add this.... Like the OP mentioned, I use my TP in a similar fashion. I do use mine on my stationary bike while working out as they all come with little 'shelves/stands' to put a book or tablet on. I plug my tablet in, put it on the holder and watch live TV via PlayOn, a movie or video on the device I have downloaded or via Netflix (ala CM10 or ACL). I just recently had my first OEM cable go bad - which really surprised me. I picked up another basic cable over at Fry's for a few bucks and haven't had an issue. As suggested above, I'd personally stay away from cheap cables from unknown companies. You get what you pay for and I've had my fair share of dirt cheap products mass produced in China that go bad extremely quickly. When I spend a couple of bucks more, I get stuff that lasts. It's worth it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/28/2014 at 12:06 PM.
    I've only lost one OEM cable since 2009, and it's only intermittently acting up. The cat chewed in a couple years ago - considering how long ago it was, it seems it may be unrelated to that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    My entire post deleted for being "impolite"? Is this the knitting forum?
    Just on ebay... nothing special, just made sure that they were power AND data cables.

From this seller, but the ones I got are black, his stock appear to be white ones now (link provided for example as per request, I am not promoting this seller aside stating that I bought these type of cables from him and they work fine) :

2 in1 Retractable USB Male to Mini Micro 5 Pin Sync Data Charger Cable for HTC W | eBay
    Thank you for that linky. I bought one and can confirm that it charges the TouchPad at the same rate as the HP original cable as measured by Govnah.

At 0.99 GBP, they are disposable and I have ordered another bunch for my Toy-box.
    so far, pretty much any micro USB cable has worked for me (and with teenagers in the house, we go through a ton of them), but the AC adapter itself seems to be more the problem. TouchPad doesn't seem to totally love just any 2A AC adapter, but it seems to work well enough with more of them than the iPad does (iPad slow charges unless you use both an AC adapter and a cable specially built for it)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    so far, pretty much any micro USB cable has worked for me (and with teenagers in the house, we go through a ton of them), but the AC adapter itself seems to be more the problem. TouchPad doesn't seem to totally love just any 2A AC adapter, but it seems to work well enough with more of them than the iPad does (iPad slow charges unless you use both an AC adapter and a cable specially built for it)
    That is because the TouchPad need to read the correct configuration on the Data pins before it will draw any more than 500mA from tthe Charger,

This is also true of the iPad though the configuration for Apple devices is different to that for the TouchPad.
    That is because the TouchPad need to read the correct configuration on the Data pins before it will draw any more than 500mA from tthe Charger,

This is also true of the iPad though the configuration for Apple devices is different to that for the TouchPad.
    I suspect that the TouchPad may also use whatever USB standard or proposed standard is available for that sort of thing as well -- my PlayBook and iPad chargers, while they give the incorrect charger warnings sometimes on the TouchPad, Dr. Battery reports that the charging is occuring much faster than if I plug into a 300 or 500mAh usb connection.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I suspect that the TouchPad may also use whatever USB standard or proposed standard is available for that sort of thing as well -- my PlayBook and iPad chargers, while they give the incorrect charger warnings sometimes on the TouchPad, Dr. Battery reports that the charging is occuring much faster than if I plug into a 300 or 500mAh usb connection.
    See the full discussion of the charging requirements for the TouchPad here: Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?
    I'd just like to echo some others thoughts about cables. I have had a Pre (and a Pre3 now) since 2009 and tried many cables and PSUs. All of them have been fine for direct charging and data transfer but I have only recently found a non OEM cable that works with the touchstone. I believe it is the one that came with my Nexus 7 and it also works with the PSU that came with it. This is the first time in nearly 5 years I have found anything other than an OEM cable/PSU combination that works, it's also the reason I have 3 OEM charges and cables kicking around (and two touchstones).

I have found no retractable cable that works with the touchstone and even heavy duty (5A) PSUs do not work with it. The Nexus 7 one is rated at 2A and works just fine though.