View Poll Results: Do you still use your Touchpad?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everyday with webOS!

56 52.34%
  • Yes, everyday with Android!

8 7.48%
  • Yes, everyday and I switch between webOS/Android!

21 19.63%
  • Most days, using it less as time goes on.

7 6.54%
  • Rarely, it's a backup/reserve machine now.

9 8.41%
  • Nope, I no longer use it.

4 3.74%
  • No, I never had a Touchpad.

2 1.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Do you still use your Touchpad? I still use mine with just webOS. Yeah...there are better options out there from a hardware standpoint but I still love the OS. The Touchpad has been relegated to an e-mail reader, PDF reader and digital Manga archive. (I love Manga) However, due to the bad app support and lack of apps there isn't much else to do with it these days. The internet browser still works but it's gotten so painfully slow I just use my Macbook Air whenever I need the internet.

Surprisingly the battery life is still fantastic despite going on 3 years of use now.

Oh yeah...I still hate HP and Leo. In LG/Palm we trust!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    Do you still use your Touchpad? I still use mine with just webOS. Yeah...there are better options out there from a hardware standpoint but I still love the OS. The Touchpad has been relegated to an e-mail reader, PDF reader and digital Manga archive. (I love Manga) However, due to the bad app support and lack of apps there isn't much else to do with it these days. The internet browser still works but it's gotten so painfully slow I just use my Macbook Air whenever I need the internet.

Surprisingly the battery life is still fantastic despite going on 3 years of use now.

Oh yeah...I still hate HP and Leo. In LG/Palm we trust!
    I use mine for emails,reading USA Today, weather apps, gas buddy info. I find that Isis does 90% of my browsing just fine. If someone could fix the dreaded "Cannot find MIME" message when loading some pdf's, I would be even happier. ACL gets me movies, so I don't need newer hardware.
    Terry
    Last edited by 1969tc; 03/26/2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Please... give up.

Haha just kiddin'. I like webos too, but it also let me lose couple thousand dollars on HP's stock.
    Hi,

I use my TP4G every day at my desk at work to listen to my mp3s, checking mails and occasionally browse the web (like now).
    At home with WiFi also to watch videos from my dlna server.

I bought and installed ACL, but only have a couple of apps to play around.

Yes, modern tablets may be smaller, faster and what not, but given that I don't really need a tablet at all, why change

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    I have a touchpad but rarely use it, I just don't have a need for a tablet.

I hear of people using their tablets in bed but I find it so tedious to do, too much balancing. Laptop with a mouse and a phone is all I need.
    i use my touchpad with android. the only thing i find a tablet useful for is running apps.

email, mp3s calenders, all the things that make webos great - i do that all from my pre2, which is much easier to fit in my pocket. :-)
    ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I still use my WebOS TP on occasion. I have a few minor apps on it that are unique. The web browser is still compatible with some sites. I would like to put Android on it as dual-boot, but it sounds complicated to me and haven't found the time. The battery still lasts for weeks.
    whitedove#WN likes this.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I use mine everyday: listening to mp3s or Apollo, checking email or websurfing while watching tv, and reading kindle books.

There are also two other TPs in the house which my wife and kids use.
    brendu likes this.
    EVERYTHING....

Music, videos, remote accessing my computers, games, taking notes for meetings (with keyboard), calendar, more games, internet, emails, e-reader, etc.

For internet: I don't understand why so many have trouble with sites... I only hit a bad site once in a blue moon, and most time, the site sucks so badly - code wise - that I have trouble with it on my normal computer.

But anyways, I got my first Touchpad due to enjoying my phone so much (Pre2 at the time, after upgrading from an original Pre). I didn't think that I'd care much for a tablet, but decided to get one anyways.

Once I found one (about 6 months after the fire sale, as during the sale, I missed out and didn't manage to get one), took it home, played with it a bit, let my wife use it, she threatened to not let me have it back unless I get her one (which I did, plus another for a "spare" that the kids have been using).

I found myself that it's my "machine" away from my machine, better to use than a phone while sitting in the living room or in bed, so basically an in-between my big machine and my phone.

One kid ended up getting his own new Android tablet (he had already jumped from his Pre2 to an Android phone at some point last year and just had to play the same games and such that his friends do), and while the web page load speed isn't comparable, we have to accept that the Touchpad is a few years old now, but it still gets the job done... so pages take a few seconds longer to load....I'd rather that than not have WebOs to use.

It's still funny, everyone that I know with Android (or Apple) phones or tablet, all have issues with their phones, issues with getting things done, etc. and every time I help them with their devices, I wince at the headache they are to use.

But at the same time, the number of new features that both Android and Apple devices have been getting, all look like blatant cheap rips/copied things from WebOs, aka, that we've had for years. So it's funny when someone tries to impress me with a "new" feature, which... I can reply - hey that's like 'this' that I've had for years now... nice feature isn't it, glad to see them finally catching up".
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 03/27/2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Use mine every day when I first wake up to go through emails and light web browsing... Also use it to listen to music. Friends and family are always amazed that a tablet can have such good audio!
    Join date: 07/22/2003 (Going to hold on to my Pixi Pre 3 as long as I can!)
    scjjtt likes this.
    I use mine more now than ever. It sat on the charger for years, until this month i now use daily!

I recently moved and had to store my computer monitor, which was my screen for watching online TV.

I've instead been using the TP for watching now. It streams from sites like watchseries.lt with great success.

My latest favorite show is Robot Chicken. If you like silly humor, i recommend it!

But for browsing i still use the Nex7 since it has swipe to type. I wish we could add that to TP.
    I don't use mine as often as I used to, but I sit in front of a computer all day so there isn't as much need. I mostly use it for web browsing and music, and at one time was doing some php development and testing. Don't have a lot of apps I use regularly.
    I use my TP 4G every day, all day. I have my rosters on it, my seating charts for school, a periodic table, a couple of calculators, and Apollo and Spotify for lab music. I have Splashtop if I have to pull something off of my office machine downstairs. I can pull up all of my daily pages - news, politics, tech and science - and they're all readable 99% of the time (see below for the exceptions). I read comics and books on it all the time. I pulled my TP out last week when I switched cable companies and no internet at home yet, and the service rep had me log on and set up my account online. There were no hitches or bumps at all. The only weird thing was that I had to do everything through the on-board wireless network router which came with the system, so I wasn't technically signed in, and every page loaded in the "Network Login" box. Still, they all loaded. Got a query and a compliment on the tablet from the rep, too.

I have CM10.1 for the TP 4G installed, and I switch to it when I need to. I'll stay on it for several days, I have a number of good programs I like to use, then I'll switch back. I still think the webOS interface is cleaner, but there's no denying Android's usefulness. I put some effort into making my Android homescreen look like webOS. With Nova Launcher, it was pretty easy, except that I have to keep the menubar.

I've found that Adblock or Superblock takes care of most of the web page problems I have. I think it's ad code that makes the stock browser reload or load a white screen. I get far fewer bad pages with one of the adblocker patches installed. I'll also get daily pages which will load fine, then stop loading for a while, and then load fine again, without the adblocker installed, which is why I think it's ad code. I get more bad pages on the TP Go I have even with the adblocker patch, but I haven't fully updated it yet.

I'll be using my TP 4G until it totally junks out. I need to replace my battery, but I'll wait and do that in the summer.

I couldn't do everything I do without all of the support and creativity of everyone here. If there's another tech community with your collective expertise, broad skills, and patience with the newcomers and low-skills people like me, I haven't found it yet. You're all good wizards.
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    i use my touchpad with android. the only thing i find a tablet useful for is running apps.

email, mp3s calenders, all the things that make webos great - i do that all from my pre2, which is much easier to fit in my pocket. :-)
    Well put! I like my phone for PIM, web look ups and GPS. Computer for productivity. Tablet is mostly for effing around.
    I use it occasionally but soon it will be needed more in my shop as the temperature rises. I was tempted to put Android but ...
    Both of my touchpads get used daily, both have never even seen android, just never had any interest. the WiFi model my daughter uses for her games YouTube and music, granted she's 3, so, yeah. When not in use it sits on the touchstone and acts as clock/picture frame. My 4g model I take with me everywhere for my personal media consumption, music, movies, comics, browsing the web, assorted games, Skype. Never seriously thought about picking something else up other than for the little one, better/more educational apps.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    Mine's just on Exhibition mode on the touchstone running Flixi showing temperature time and twitter feed displayed in the living room. Rather very useful!

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Mine's just on Exhibition mode on the touchstone running Flixi showing temperature time and twitter feed displayed in the living room. Rather very useful!

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    Funny, I've never used Exhibition mode. That does sound like a good use for it. I mainly use mine as a PDF/Ereader these days, but at least it's getting used for something. Ever since I got my MBA a few years ago I've found that I don't need a tablet for much more than reading.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    I still use it almost daily. My main use right now is with UStream app, so I can check on my Doberman puppies that are upstairs( shameless plug inserted here Doberman Puppies Calgary on USTREAM: They were born on 26 March 2014. Watch them grow up!. Dogs ) ...ie baby monitor. I sure got my money's worth out of this beast. I had 2 of them, one is down for the count....I may be able to resuscitate it but haven't gotten around to it....busy times. Mine has been pretty resilient, I've dropped it countless upon countless times on hardwod, concrete, pavement. Aside from some minor scratches, it is still ticking on. One thing I like is the screen brightness, I can turn it up and be sitting under direct sunlight, with my polarized sunglasses on and have zero problems reading it.

I use it for all my PDF manuals as well ezPDF reader is what I use mostly.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I got mine setup on my touchstone at my desk, and i use it to read my email everyday.

Thats about it though, i rarely will use it to respond to emails.

I just like i can see all my email accounts in 1 list. If i need to reply, i just log in to the email account on my computer.
    My Apps:
    Apps By Chris
    Slideshow Presentation HD - A hugely customizable Touchpad Audio/Picture Slideshow Creator
    Two Outta Three! - A coin flip game
    Chore Tracker Pro - A chore organizing app
    Peek-A-Dash - A tumblr dashboard client that runs in a multitasking system popup

Donate link to support my work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast