Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By joeytino
  • 2 Post By imfallen_angel
  • 1 Post By Tominacus
  • 1 Post By ArchonAdvisors
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so about 4 months ago my TP charger went to bye-bye. So I didnt use it from that time. Meaning it probally discharged below the 3.7 V required for the battery to function. It no longer will show signs of life even a force boot doesnt do a thing. I bought a new charger and that dosent allow it to charge. So is the battery dead as in below 1.5 V. Or just in sleep mode?

Thanks in advance

Tominacus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominacus View Post
    Ok, so about 4 months ago my TP charger went to bye-bye. So I didnt use it from that time. Meaning it probally discharged below the 3.7 V required for the battery to function. It no longer will show signs of life even a force boot doesnt do a thing. I bought a new charger and that dosent allow it to charge. So is the battery dead as in below 1.5 V. Or just in sleep mode?

Thanks in advance

Tominacus
    there are a lot of reports here about pads that come back to life if you just leave them for a while. some need to trickle charge, some need to discharge before accepting a recharge, some needed a different USB cable, and some needed a hard reset with the buttons. read some other threads and see if their solution works for you. good luck!
    Is your replacement charger a real TP charger or a generic charger? You're going to need a legit TP charger, at least to get your TP jump started. Then just plug in and wait a while (and I do possibly mean A WHILE, like up to a week I've heard before).

The first sign of life you will hopefully see as you wait is a "knight rider" light flashing back and forth on the home button. Eventually the TP should light up the screen and show the low battery charging picture. Then eventually you'll find it booted up. Even when it's booted up and looks ready to use let it charge all the way before unplugging it.

Once the TP comes back to life and gets a full charge, it should charge normally again after that.

For even more information, or if just leaving it plugged in doesn't do the trick, there's a big thread where people have shared all kinds of tips how they got their dead Touchpad back up and running: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rn-charge.html

Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 03/17/2014 at 09:18 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Ok so guys, I got a new charger and it started doing the :knight rider" but it starts for a short while maybe 5 minutes and then stops... then starts again a little while later.. a non-stop cycle... its been like tht for a couple of hours. Is that normal? Or should the :knight rider" continue no matter what?
    Last edited by Tominacus; 04/09/2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    Is your replacement charger a real TP charger or a generic charger? You're going to need a legit TP charger, at least to get your TP jump started. Then just plug in and wait a while (and I do possibly mean A WHILE, like up to a week I've heard before).

The first sign of life you will hopefully see as you wait is a "knight rider" light flashing back and forth on the home button. Eventually the TP should light up the screen and show the low battery charging picture. Then eventually you'll find it booted up. Even when it's booted up and looks ready to use let it charge all the way before unplugging it.

Once the TP comes back to life and gets a full charge, it should charge normally again after that.

For even more information, or if just leaving it plugged in doesn't do the trick, there's a big thread where people have shared all kinds of tips how they got their dead Touchpad back up and running: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rn-charge.html

Let us know how it goes.
    Can you use a different cable as long as its the same barrel end? My original cable is cracked and now my TP wont charge.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daver61 View Post
    Can you use a different cable as long as its the same barrel end? My original cable is cracked and now my TP wont charge.
    Yea im pretty sure its the wall adapter that matters not the cable.
    Ok so guys, I got a new charger and it started doing the :knight rider" but it starts for a short while maybe 5 minutes and then stops... then starts again a little while later.. a non-stop cycle... its been like tht for a couple of hours. Is that normal? Or should the :knight rider" continue no matter what?
    Normally the flashing light is continual while it's charging, first time I read about it going on and off.

So possibly the battery isn't taking the charge, the charging unit is having trouble or other.

You might want to try plugging it into your computer and see what it does.. leave it overnight.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Normally the flashing light is continual while it's charging, first time I read about it going on and off.

So possibly the battery isn't taking the charge, the charging unit is having trouble or other.

You might want to try plugging it into your computer and see what it does.. leave it overnight.
    Would it be better if I purchase a Touchpad Touchstone Dock to charge it? b/c I tried with the computer and it only does the knight rider when I press the power button.....
    Although I would hold out until you are sure your TP can be revived, the Touchstone is really the best way to charge your tablet simply because the micro USB port is somewhat fragile and over time does tend to wear out. Also test your USB cable on another device and ensure that it's OK although as others have said the barrel is more important than the USB cable I have found cables that do not work on the Touchpad. OEM Blackberry cables work fine for example.

Check craigslist for Touchstones. I have picked up 2 over the last year; one was $20 and the other came with a then dead but since revived TP for $35. If you happen to be in the Atlanta area, there is currently a Touchstone available for $20.

Also one other thing to check once you revive your TP is to research reflashing the A6 chip responsible for charging as jcsullins discovered an issue that you need to be aware of.

[Fix Guide] How to Reflash the A6 Firmware + How to use the WebOS Doctor - xda-developers
    Would it be better if I purchase a Touchpad Touchstone Dock to charge it? b/c I tried with the computer and it only does the knight rider when I press the power button.....
    Oh... I'm all for the Touchstones, I absolutely love them, heck I barely ever plug my PREs or Touchpads... I prefer using Wifi File Sharing to do my transfer. I wouldn't trust any micro-USB connector to last for a long time on any device, it's just such a fragile connector. I have Touchstones at home in different locations, and at the office.

But it's a question of investing in getting one if you didn't get one already. I don't recall you stating how long you've had the Touchpad.

Most on here ended up getting one, as well... anyone who's got one loves it.. I've seen one person saying that he didn't care about them.. I dared him to try for a week, then go back to plugging it in... after a week, he replied that he was hooked.

But anyways... the point of this is... if it's worth it to you to try it, get one, hopefully cheap. But it might not work... if you know anyone that has one, I'd say go ask to borrow it for a day or two to try it, or hand your Touchpad over for a few days for him to charge.

It is possibly that you broke the port....
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Oh... I'm all for the Touchstones, I absolutely love them, heck I barely ever plug my PREs or Touchpads... I prefer using Wifi File Sharing to do my transfer. I wouldn't trust any micro-USB connector to last for a long time on any device, it's just such a fragile connector. I have Touchstones at home in different locations, and at the office.

But it's a question of investing in getting one if you didn't get one already. I don't recall you stating how long you've had the Touchpad.

Most on here ended up getting one, as well... anyone who's got one loves it.. I've seen one person saying that he didn't care about them.. I dared him to try for a week, then go back to plugging it in... after a week, he replied that he was hooked.

But anyways... the point of this is... if it's worth it to you to try it, get one, hopefully cheap. But it might not work... if you know anyone that has one, I'd say go ask to borrow it for a day or two to try it, or hand your Touchpad over for a few days for him to charge.

It is possibly that you broke the port....
    Thanks, I found one on Amazon for 35$.... and if you wanted to know Iv'e had my TP for roughly 2 yrs and 2 months.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    That's the first i can recall hearing of the knight-rider lights stopping and starting as well, but it can't really hurt to keep it plugged in nonetheless and see what happens until your touchstone arrives.
    Tominacus likes this.
    Thanks, I found one on Amazon for 35$.... and if you wanted to know Iv'e had my TP for roughly 2 yrs and 2 months.
    and you never got a Touchstone?? That's like having a car with no wheels...shesssss...

Well, I really hope it works....
    I see a pattern...
    Tominacus likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks guys for everyone that chipped in...... I found the problem was the cable, it was underpowered.... that crappy cable was connected for 1 wk and just did knight rider..... my new was connected for less then 10 minutes! AND IT GOT THE LOW BATTERY SCREEN THANKS EVERYONE