1.    #1  
    (Posted this over at Rootz Wiki and was suggested I post here for better response)

I am trying to use Knoppix to install Evervolv 4.3 onto my TP. Each time I open the terminal where the Palm,Inc files are, then enter the commands for installing, I get this:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    bash: novacom.exe: command not found

trying this, produces:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ ./novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    bash: ./novacom: No such file or directory

and this gets this:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    failed to connect to server

I've re-installed novacom several times, updated the drivers and found the "palm-novacom_1.0.76_i386.deb" install in SynapticPM and that is what resides in my pALM, iNC directory.

There is no .exe or boot folder that I can see.

Novacom never did create a Palm, Inc folder at any time. I had to make a new folder with the name "pALM iNC" to double check this.

Can I do something different to get this to work? I am totally new to TP, Android and Linux, so there ya go.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    While I know nothing about Evervolv, my humble Linux/Palm experience tells me...

Quote Originally Posted by TouchyTouchy View Post
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    bash: novacom.exe: command not found
    ...that novacom.exe is probably a Windows binary, unlinkey to spot or run in Linux...

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ ./novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    bash: ./novacom: No such file or directory
    ...here you try to run novacom binary from current directory (.../pALM, iNC); it's not there, it seems...

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller5E
    OK, this time novacom was started; the problem being that novacom needs novacomd daemon running. Try running
    Code:
    novacomd &
    first.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks B, but no joy, got this back:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacomd & novacom boot mem:// <ACMEInstaller5E
    [1] 30138
    bash: novacomd: command not found
    [1]+ Exit 127 novacomd
  4. vgg
    what output do you get if you enter "type novacom" ?
    and what output do you get if you enter "echo $PATH"? If the location of the novacom executable is not contained within the output of the PATH variable knoppix isn't going to know where to find novacom.

Also its not a good idea to have a directory with a space and/or a comma in its name as this can confuse things...

Try renaming the directory to (maybe pALM_inc so there are no spaces) and if this is where novacom is installed then you need to add this directory (the full directory name) to you PATH variable so that knoppix knows where to find it. You can do this by entering for example:

export PATH=$PATH:/home/yourusername/blahblah/pALM_inc

and if that works add that line to your .bashrc file

vito
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Thanks B, but no joy, got this back:

knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM, iNC$ novacomd & novacom boot mem:// <ACMEInstaller5E
    [1] 30138
    bash: novacomd: command not found
    [1]+ Exit 127 novacomd
    OK, so novacomd is not in your path. I guess "pALM, iNC/" directory contains novacom and novacomd as well, there's no point in distributing them separately... could you, being in that directory, issue command
    Code:
    find . -type f -name novacomd -ls
    ? It should show us something like (example from my system)
    Code:
       706   76 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        76488 Sep 20  2011 ./Palm/novacom/novacomd
    -- so, we will have (relative) path to novacomd (./Palm/novacom/novacomd here) and access rights (here -rwxr-xr-x) -- it may be, that archive uncompressed in other operating system failed to set Linux right to execute (three x-es in above example).

If find yields nothing, there's no novacomd, at least in this directory. If one is found, but access rights do not contain x-es, try to
    Code:
    chmod a+x ./your/path/to/novacomd
    It will probably fail on non-linux filesystem, but does not hurt to try. If chmod does not report error, try running
    Code:
    ./path/to/novacomd &
    ; if either fails, we can try temporary solution: copy novacomd to filesystem that understands proper rights
    Code:
    cp ./path/to/novacomd /tmp
    chmod a+x /tmp/novacomd
    /tmp/novacomd &
    If above fails -- you are probably following some kind of tutorial, could you point us to it?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks vgg and Briest- been tending to some other duties.

I renamed pALM_NC and added it to the path and exported, still got the - "Failed to connect to server"

So, I started back here-

It should show us something like (example from my system)
    It did show-

96396 76 -rwxrwxrwx 1 knoppix knoppix 76488 Jun 24 2011 ./novacom/novacomd

then did this-
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM_NC$ cp ./path/to/novacomd/tmp chmod a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmp/novacomd &
    [2] 21619
    [1] Exit 1 cp -i ./path/to/novacomd/tmp chmod a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmpnovacomd
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM_NC$ cp: target `a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmp/novacomd' is not a directory

So, does that tell you anything, cause for me it's all linux, lol
    And the only tutorial I've followed is the one on Rootz Wiki here:
    [ROM GUIDE] How to install Android on the HP TouchPad "The Easy Way" - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
  7.    #7  
    After double checking my Java install from suggestions over at Rootz Wiki, I discover I had not installed Java. I was using Iced Tea-Web Plugin for Java applets and thought I was good to go.

Plus, I thought I had installed it because a Java pkg kept showing up in Synaptic PM, but I went to Oracle and it couldn't be found.

So, after hunting for some info I found this:

http://andrewelkins....n-oracle-sucks/

and following this I ended up with-

Cannot write to `jdk-7u51-linux-i586.tar.gz' (No space left on device).
    download failed
    Oracle JDK 7 is NOT installed.

I am running Knoppix on a 8Gb flash drive, and I will have to extend the data img before I try again.
    Going on holiday for awhile, so won't be able to post back with results until I get back.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Hope this helps somebody in the same predicament.
  8. vgg
    when you followed Briests suggestions from post #5 it seems you did it all on one line. You wrote

Thanks vgg and Briest- been tending to some other duties.

then did this-
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM_NC$ cp ./path/to/novacomd/tmp chmod a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmp/novacomd &
    [2] 21619
    [1] Exit 1 cp -i /path/to/novacomd/tmp chmod a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmpnovacomd
    knoppix@Microknoppix:/media/sda1/SAVE/pALM_NC$ cp: target `a+x/tmp/novacomd/tmp/novacomd' is not a directory

it should have been:

Code:
    cp /path/to/novacomd /tmp 
    chmod a+x /tmp/novacomd
    ./tmp/novacomd &
    these are three separate commands.

first you should type:
    Code:
    cp /path/to/novacomd ./tmp/

cp stands for copy, so this will copy the executable 'novacomd' to a directory called 'tmp'. Notice there's a . before the backslash.
    That means that tmp is in your current directory. IF tmp doesn't exist, create it first by entering 'mkdir tmp' and then run the copy command above.

Notice also that there is a space between novacomd and ./tmp/

Once you've run the cp command if you type 'ls tmp/'
    you will get a listing of everything in the new tmp directory and it should contain the file novacmd

The next command will make this file, novacomd executable. this is done by typing:
    Code:
    chmod a+x ./tmp/novacomd
    Notice again that there is a . before /tmp.
    Also notice that there is a space between a+x and ./tmp/novacomd

finally you can enter:

Code:
    ./tmp/novacomd &
    Again notice that there is a . before the /tmp.

Try this again and good luck, and have a good holiday

cheers

Vito