Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    OM instead of putting energy into pushing out spring ad-mails for ACL you should but your energy in fixing the known issues:

Last update was february and it felt like i got 5 mails since then but NO update of ACL. btw. it's April now.
    Hello gizmo21,

Thank you for the feedback. We understand and appreciate that you would like to see all of those limitations addressed. Believe me, we have a wish list of items we would like to see work flawlessly in ACL for webOS, and if we had our say, they would all work. There are technical limitations we are facing with the webOS operating system, (might I remind you, is going on three years old and is discontinued and no longer supported by HP), the hardware, and third party restrictions (Google services) that we have no control over. I can assure you we are exploring ways to provide a quality, integrated Android app solution within the confines of what we have to work with.

If you subscribe to our newsletter, you will be notified of the latest news and ACL product updates:

I'm interested in ACL for webOS!

We will also be sure to post any announcements here on webosnation.

Thanks for listening.

-John
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Let me chime in (as I did in the original thread) and say I don't have many issues with ACL, I'm using in initial full release, trying to avoid doctoring. ACL has given me the apps webOS never had and I'm happy with it. If I had another TouchPad, I'd buy another license for it. Some of the feedback here is very atypical, from my experience.
    Hello broncot,

We are happy to hear you are pleased with ACL for webOS! There are many users who are, but we don't often hear those sentiments expressed here on webosnation. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Thank you!

John
    OpenMobile Support
    What does "may need to "Doctor" your tablet" mean. Is there a way it would work to uninstall 0.6.0 and install 1.2.0 ?
    Hello,

Users who have ACL beta (e.g., v. 0.6.x) or ACL 1.0.1 installed on their TouchPads must first deactivate the ACL license key and Doctor the TouchPad prior to installing newer ACL (v1.2.x and above) release versions, as explained in this article on our Support Center:

Steps existing ACL beta or ACL 1.0.1 users MUST take prior to installing newer ACL release versions – Support Center

Here is a webosnation post that also advises Doctoring if you are running those older, pre ACL 1.2.x versions:

ACL - Release Thread

Regards,

John
    OpenMobile Support
    Since this thread has been mostly negative I would like to say that overall I am quite happy with ACL thus far. It hasn't been perfect but I can certainly say that I am better off with it and have been able to install far more apps than what I had access to before. I hope that OM will put more effort into adding apps to their store as there has been almost nothing added in the last month or so. I have 1Mobile Market installed but it's hard to determine what will and will not work. THanks OM for releasing this software and continuing development.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I guess if you have a bog-standard, unpatched, un-CM'd, un-re-kernelled, un-LunaCE'd and freshly Doctored device, then OM anyway, would consider ACL 1.2.0.3 @ level 'Green'.. but,. how many of us here have, or are even willing to have, such devices still?
    So this is weird, but... I have two of them, 16 GB, still sealed in their boxes. [Long story]. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read this, then saw them selling on Amazon! Yikes. Maybe I'll list mine there.
    Quote Originally Posted by awriter View Post
    So this is weird, but... I have two of them, 16 GB, still sealed in their boxes. [Long story]. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read this, then saw them selling on Amazon! Yikes. Maybe I'll list mine there.
    ? Well, if they are still sealed in their boxes, then they wont have ACL on them either will they!

No.. I meant that USERS of TP's and those that have USED their TP's for a few years now, are probably highly unlikely to not have any Preware/Homebrew Patches/CM Android/LunarCE or improved Kernel installs.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Oh hey, OMW actually delivered, or something. I don't have access to my TP, but I downloaded the IPK and took a crack at it (i.e. static analysis). The installation looks pretty simple (just dump the contents of a .tar.gz into the root file system, install an IPK, and make a user image). Looking through scripts, though, I see three of them with the extension .sh are actually executables. It turns out they just wrap scripts. Obfuscation, if you'd like to call it that. Not sure what is so important that they have to obfuscate, but maybe instead of having three copies of the executable they could put just the obfuscated data in the files, and use the hashbang notation to get the executable loader to invoke the unobfuscator/runner. Last thing, there are some install scripts that are duplicated into the installation directory. While helpful for me (7-Zip doesn't handle .ipks properly, and typically chops off the control section of the .ipk), they will be copied separately IIRC when IPKG goes through them, so they don't need to be in the application folder.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    FYI Although their license key software is hackable, it is one of a very good company wyday.com, the easy way to hack this is to replace their library libTurboActivate.so with one that responds to the same functions requested but always returns the product is activated. Although I am sure pirates have already come up with this, hacking ACL on the Touchpad is not something I think is going to generate enough to bother with... The fact that they moved from a file system key system, to the web key system, makes someone at OMWW think they need to manage it, but I think they are wasting ~$400 a month... The market of users of Touchpad is maybe a 10,000 users, at best 20,000 users (from views of this thread ~13,000), plus with the product being $20, most users will buy verse pirate the software.
    Why mess with libTurboActivate.so? I think it's easy enough to rewrite omww-lad in about 50 lines to return true for everything if you really wanted to. (Did I mention I like to mess with licensing systems? It keeps the disassembly skills sharp. Let's not ever mention it again.)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I would like to also state that although there are some bugs and it REALLY NEEDS acceleration it works to add the odd app and extend the usefulness of the touchpad without having to leave webOS, which is what I wanted. I hope they can add video acceleration someday so things like vimeo become useful its too slow now.
    MikeN68 likes this.
    Agreed. H/W video acceleration would be a great plus to ACL for WebOS.

On another positive note, I'm glad I can use browsers like Opera and Dolphin that allow for text to auto wordwrap after resizing the screen. None of the WebOS browsers do that as far as I know so this is a big plus for ACL.
    i just got a "your license is unactivated or has expired" notification as i took it from the Touchstone.
    It was working "fine" with that kickstarter license since over a month now. Haven't started any ACL app after that expire notification.

Now what, reentering code or uninstalling/reinstalling ACL? I'm a bit afraid loosing all webOS data, as some of you experinced recently.

Is there a an ACL log to look for the problem?

Btw. didn't find a faq on OM Support Center on that topic. Links from ACL Documemtion App resolve to a webpage with expired certificate and no content like:
    https://openmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en...allation-Guide

Yes i have Uberkernel, yes i have LunaCE 4.9.10 and yes i have CM10, but was all no problem when using Beta 0.6 for month (without having to enter a licence key).
    Hi gizmo 21

In regard to License Key Deactivation "Failed To Launch, Please Check Your License"

There is now a knowledge based article based on your suggestion. The link is below;

License key deactivation "Failed to launch, Please check your license" €“ Support Center

The development team is working on a permanent fix for this issue.

Hope that this helps!

Cheers,

Vince
    Open Mobile Support
    Last edited by vinceFull; 04/21/2014 at 04:04 PM.
    hey I just wanted to see if anybody else out there was running into the same issue as me... I've got over 60 apps installed and I keep running into out of space issues when I try to install more. I've 22GB free on the "SD Card" and 447MB free of "internal storage".

So has anybody else seen this issue, and if so have you found a work around (And before you say move it to the SD Card, I've done that with all apps that will allow me)?
    How come OM hasn't released any new apps in weeks? Seemed like there were new ones all the time for a bit and now it's completely dried up
    Anyone had success getting the build.prop edited? Audubon Mammals is Amazon's FAOTD, but it says it's not compatible with my device. It requires Android 2.1, so it should work, right?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    ? Well, if they are still sealed in their boxes, then they wont have ACL on them either will they!

No.. I meant that USERS of TP's and those that have USED their TP's for a few years now, are probably highly unlikely to not have any Preware/Homebrew Patches/CM Android/LunarCE or improved Kernel installs.
    Call me cautious / reserved / cynical - but I have been a Palm user going back to the Palm Pilot / 5000 / Lifedrive / Clie etc, and my TX still has a secondary function in my life. The problem was compatibility with upgrading from the TX - for the first time the desk top wouldn't work on the latest Windows and I couldn't transfer everything onto the Pre or then the Pre3 & TPs that I now have.

I have watched with interest and waited - I am no longer 'up-to-speed' with current I.T. and would not dream of 'doctoring' my TPs - ( I would screw up something and don't need the pain! ).

I was tempted to go Sony Experia Android on phone and tablet - but I am holding on!

Yes, I have 2 x 32GB TPs on webOS 3.0.5 working away quietly doing their thing without HomeBrew or any other mods. So there ARE those of us that are waiting for the stress-free upgrade to the next step! And I know of others!

It appears that my day to upgrade with ACL is getting closer and I read this blog with interest and will soon be making that leap of faith.
    If I know I can download something and get a slick upgrade, then I will do it and make a good contribution for that process - but I need clear instructions (with no assumptions) - I don't need to have to read through 12-18 months of threads to achieve what could be provided as a download. I'd love to, but time is always short.

I have kept 'the faith' and love using my Touch Stone docks at work and seeing the envy on co-workers and love rubbing the noses of iOS users whenever I can!! Its good to be in a niche and different, without suffering unduly - the basics are all still there in webOS.

THANK YOU to all those still working on this.
    Getting the TPs Android capable and maybe even the Pre3s will be heaven - well done & please keep up the good work!

Will there be a announcement when the simple people like me can expect a polished and slick download and upgrade capability?

Many thanks,
    Prepped
    I've noticed that since installing ACL, I need to reboot my TouchPad almost every day. Emails stop rendering in the WebOS Email app, most WebOS apps report they do not have Internet connectivity. At some point, applications (Android and WebOS) just stop launching.

I'm also running the Uber Kernel, so I don't know if that's a problem. I'm running a couple of Android programs which actively monitor Internet sites and pop-up notifications (NHL and eBay applications.) I can't think of anything else which might be pertinent.

But in any case, I really enjoy ACL. I would love to see an updated to a more modern Android platform so I can run some newer applications. This really does breath a lot of life into this device, and I've also noticed that since ACL was released there seems to have been a surge in some useful WebOS native applications in the HP Catalog.

It's a great device, no need to let it die!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepped View Post
    Call me cautious / reserved / cynical - but I have been a Palm user going back to the Palm Pilot / 5000 / Lifedrive / Clie etc, and my TX still has a secondary function in my life. The problem was compatibility with upgrading from the TX - for the first time the desk top wouldn't work on the latest Windows and I couldn't transfer everything onto the Pre or then the Pre3 & TPs that I now have.
    This is what I used:
    HP webOS : Download & Run the Data Transfer Assistant (DTA)

I transferred everything to the Palm profile account. It's true that there is no 'webOS desktop' & online cloud services are used. I think there were some third party apps to re-enable or work around this, but I don't know what would work now - I think Chapura have closed. It may be possible to make an 'owncloud' type solution for some items (not profile back up). Perhaps that will be included in the webOS-Ports version...

Anyway, back to the actual topic...
    i just got a "your license is unactivated or has expired" notification as i took it from the Touchstone.
    It was working "fine" with that kickstarter license since over a month now. Haven't started any ACL app after that expire notification.

Now what, reentering code or uninstalling/reinstalling ACL? I'm a bit afraid loosing all webOS data, as some of you experinced recently.

Is there a an ACL log to look for the problem?

Btw. didn't find a faq on OM Support Center on that topic. Links from ACL Documemtion App resolve to a webpage with expired certificate and no content like:
    https://openmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en...allation-Guide

Yes i have Uberkernel, yes i have LunaCE 4.9.10 and yes i have CM10, but was all no problem when using Beta 0.6 for month (without having to enter a licence key).

gizmo it will happen again and again and again.

The solution is simple.

1. click on ACL for WEBOS
    2. Click on Activate and enter your serial and then click Activate license
    DO NOT de-activate for any reason and do not waste your time with support tickets.
    3. Press next and then exit the app.
    4. Restart the HP touchpad.

Next time it happens to you do as described above and don't de-activate your license.

This is what i do and it works fine.

p.s. to Open Mobile.

Give my regards to the guy that wrote the installer.
    I have spent more time re-activating the license than every product i have ever used.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    that was what i already did and it worked so far as "good" as before including the several restarts a week. Didn't want to comment on OM support kb article as i'm a bit tired of getting told to doctor my device and then loosing some of the precious webOS apps.

But hey sometimes i now can control my raspberry without having to reboot TP to CM, but then again it too often reboots itself after that
  19.    #339  
    If anyone knows anything about Hebrew fonts on the Touchpad and if it is possible to use them with ACL, can you see if you can help this member out? Thanks!

Hebrew font for hp touchpad
    I was going too buy this product but with all this complains I changed my mind.. I don't want to buy something the will give me headaches , i really don't want nextflic or hulu I have this on my ipad2 I just wanted the amzon market with ACL but reading all this complaints I Changed my mind ,thank you