Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 417
Like Tree134Likes
  1. #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by xxshaun1xx View Post
    The easy way is to use wterm or xecutah. Type su, hit enter. Then mount -o remount rw, /media/omww/android/system. Then cd /media/omww/android/system/xbin. Then type chown 0.0 su. Then type chmod 06755 su. I had the same problem until I manually changed the permission for su. Also after you're done reboot your device. Before you do this though make sure su is in the /xbin directory.
    I've tried these steps as well with the only difference being that after rebooting running any app that need su privileges just hang, slowing the system down to a crawl. Maybe 3 minutes later a message will come up saying that app is not responding giving you the choice to wait or close. If I run the su binary updater (as John Steffes suggests). it now hangs at the "Gaining Root Access......" part and doesn't say fail.

    Honestly, thanks everyone for your suggestions but I think I'm losing this one and won't ever be able to root this thing. BTW, I have wTerm installed but typing su gives a password prompt and is apparently not rooted. Xecutah, on the other hand, does give you a # prompt and is what I've been using to attempt to root ACL. Also, I have the Uberkernel installed with default profile running at 1.1 GHz as well as LunaCE 4.9.5
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by synchron View Post
    I've tried these steps as well with the only difference being that after rebooting running any app that need su privileges just hang, slowing the system down to a crawl. Maybe 3 minutes later a message will come up saying that app is not responding giving you the choice to wait or close. If I run the su binary updater (as John Steffes suggests). it now hangs at the "Gaining Root Access......" part and doesn't say fail.

    Honestly, thanks everyone for your suggestions but I think I'm losing this one and won't ever be able to root this thing. BTW, I have wTerm installed but typing su gives a password prompt and is apparently not rooted. Xecutah, on the other hand, does give you a # prompt and is what I've been using to attempt to root ACL. Also, I have the Uberkernel installed with default profile running at 1.1 GHz as well as LunaCE 4.9.5
    Remember two OSes...

    wTerm (webOS from Preware is webOS) however, Xecutah I thought uses Linux underneath and Xserver etc...?

    webOS is built on top of Linux, and then Android is run on top or really in a SDL app.

    I have used Novaterm (SSH from a computer)?
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoD View Post
    Hi guys.
    Can you please give some advice/opinion here?

    I installed and tried ACL, and somehow I feel my TouchPad is not working as it was before and … honestly, I don’t see too much benefit out of this.
    I installed Skype - and … it’s not working. It won’t start at all. I tried several times uninstalling and re-installing, but nothing.
    I downloaded and installed several other applications (games, as well), but still not impressed. Many of the application that I installed from the OM AppMall are starting/running as on the mobile phone screen (not the tablet - HD version) and the application use only small part of my TP display (not nice at all !).
    I also installed YahooMail application and after the first start, everything looked OK, but after that - it was never able to update/refresh my Inbox again …. btw, the WebOs Mail application always worked fine for me… )
    In many cases also, when I try to start some android application, the screen goes black and nothing happens … Of course, there are some app that work fine.

    .. to make a long story short, I have a feeling that my TouchPad worked much better before the ACL, and, as I already mentioned, I do not see some great benefits and improvements after installing it.
    I don’t know, maybe it’s just me,.. or I may not do or understand some things properly ?
    I see, many of you mention Netflix application, and are happy to be able to have it on their touchpads, but I don’t need it, so it does not mean much to me.

    Can you please tell me, from experience, whether if I uninstall android applications and the ACL (the way I uninstall all other webos applications), my TP will be restored to its original state, or I will still need to do some more complicated actions (like doctoring or similar)?

    Thank you … and sorry for this long post. I wanted to share my observations…
    Thank you DarkoD, I think you pretty much answered my question. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Not sure how much I need or would use Android and I really do not want to mess up my TP. I do not understand a whole lot of all the instructions about installing and uninstalling, doctoring etc. So in my case I think I should probably leave well enough alone.
    Thanks,
    Carol
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoD View Post
    Hi guys.
    Can you please give some advice/opinion here?

    I installed and tried ACL, and somehow I feel my TouchPad is not working as it was before and … honestly, I don’t see too much benefit out of this.
    I installed Skype - and … it’s not working. It won’t start at all. I tried several times uninstalling and re-installing, but nothing.
    I downloaded and installed several other applications (games, as well), but still not impressed. Many of the application that I installed from the OM AppMall are starting/running as on the mobile phone screen (not the tablet - HD version) and the application use only small part of my TP display (not nice at all !).
    I also installed YahooMail application and after the first start, everything looked OK, but after that - it was never able to update/refresh my Inbox again …. btw, the WebOs Mail application always worked fine for me… )
    In many cases also, when I try to start some android application, the screen goes black and nothing happens … Of course, there are some app that work fine.

    .. to make a long story short, I have a feeling that my TouchPad worked much better before the ACL, and, as I already mentioned, I do not see some great benefits and improvements after installing it.
    I don’t know, maybe it’s just me,.. or I may not do or understand some things properly ?
    I see, many of you mention Netflix application, and are happy to be able to have it on their touchpads, but I don’t need it, so it does not mean much to me.

    Can you please tell me, from experience, whether if I uninstall android applications and the ACL (the way I uninstall all other webos applications), my TP will be restored to its original state, or I will still need to do some more complicated actions (like doctoring or similar)?

    Thank you … and sorry for this long post. I wanted to share my observations…
    Hello DarkoD,

    We would need to ask you some questions about the steps you took, and get more details about your TouchPad to be able to assist you. Our customers don't usually encounter all of those problems you are experiencing, so please feel free to submit a support request with us at the top of our Support Center page so we can troubleshoot for you:

    OpenMobile

    Thank you!

    Regards,

    John
    OpenMobile Support
  5. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoD View Post
    I installed and tried ACL, and somehow I feel my TouchPad is not working as it was before and … honestly, I don’t see too much benefit out of this.
    that is exactly the experience I made, after installing ACL the TP does not behave as before.

    It's no problem, that the startup needs longer, because ACL is loaded.

    But after installing ACL I more often had problems loading apps, probably because of lack of resources.

    The Kalem Video f.ex. needs very long to start, crashes after startup or does not start at all.
    I had this behavior already before, but it was not disturbing, because it happened once every week or two, but now I had it mostly daily after using some ACL apps and only solution is to reboot the TP.

    An other problem are sudden reboots and finally I lost two times my profile after I installed ACL.

    On the other hand, ACL has not the benefit I hoped getting from it.

    While a lot of apps I installed via ACL are working more or less, most of them I only installed for testing purpose. And I wanted to use it on my Go, what is my daily "worker" but this is not supported for mostly no technical reason (you can install ACL on the Go and it behaves exactly as on a normal TP, but it needs more work).

    Initially I had four apps I wanted to use with ACL:

    A modern browser, a modern PDF-viewer, a magazine app and a moving map app.

    The magazine app did't worked, because it needed Android 3.0 at least and the moving map app worked, but only unregistered because of the lack of several Google services and without GPS support (on the Go/4G) because location services are not supported with ACL.

    Both issues I "solved": for the first one I installed CM9 and the app on my TP-64, normally I read the magazine on paper and when I'm on holidays, I have no problem to boot into CM9 to read it. For the moving map I just bought a GN7-2013, while I don't like the "Android-experience" overall, I only have to deal with the app itself and in addition it's a good "source" for getting APKs from the Play Store to install them with ACL on my TP or on my PlayBook or BB10-devices (where the Android compatibility is much, much better BTW).

    So finally two apps for ACL on my TP, the Adobe Reader and the Foxit PDF-reader are working quite good with ACL, better than the "native" PDF reader on the TouchPad, but not as good as on CM9 or the BB-devices.

    The Firefox and some versions of the Opera browser are working with ACL too, mostly stable, but scrolling and zooming are lacking very much, so no way for replacing the stock webOS-browser for daily use.

    So I have mostly no real use case for ACL on my TouchPad, while it interferes the webOS "experience" too much and permanent. Not that good ...

    I installed Skype - and … it’s not working. It won’t start at all. I tried several times uninstalling and re-installing, but nothing.
    The apps have to be compatible with Android 2.3 and I think that there is no camera-support within ACL, so Skype is quite useless. In addition there is a more or less working native Skype-app on the TouchPad.

    Can you please tell me, from experience, whether if I uninstall android applications and the ACL (the way I uninstall all other webos applications), my TP will be restored to its original state, or I will still need to do some more complicated actions (like doctoring or similar)?
    If you want to get completely rid of it, doctoring might be the best possibility for you.

    On the other hand, ACL does not need too much space on the flash drive and if it is not started, it does not use any resources and does not disturb at all. So a good option would be, starting ACL only when you need it and then stop it or reboot the TouchPad after it.

    I asked PIC/OM for several times to include an option to remove ACL from the autostart and to add an "ACL start" to the screen, but they are just ignoring this advice :-(

    You can even implement this by yourself (I had this working with ACL 0.6 and 1.0), but I'm just tired on doing this again and right now my TP-64 is lying "half-working" on the table, because after the last "profile lost" I just had done a restore and not a redoctoring to get all working again, including ACL.
  6. #246  
    HI I purchased ACL yesterday for my 64 white touchpad (has uber kernel installed set as default in Govnah)

    If I paste in the link to browser to launch Preware NOTHING HAPPENS.
    What am I doing wrong? Do I need to go back to standard kernel? Do I need to uninstall any patches?
    the url I paste into the browser downloads a com.openmobilew... file
    If I click on it I get cannot open MIME type .

    Any advice greatly appreciated,
    PD
    Last edited by Paul_D; 03/18/2014 at 04:34 AM.
  7. #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
    HI I purchased ACL yesterday for my 64 white touchpad (has uber kernel installed set as default in Govnah)

    If I paste in the link to browser to launch Preware NOTHING HAPPENS.
    What am I doing wrong? Do I need to go back to standard kernel? Do I need to uninstall any patches?
    the url I paste into the browser downloads a com.openmobilew... file
    If I click on it I get cannot open MIME type .

    Any advice greatly appreciated,
    PD
    It sounds like you don't have Preware installed on your touchpad.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Sprint Instinct > Palm Pre > Blackberry Curve (3 months) > Pre3 (att) > Pre3 (verizon)
  8. #248  
    hi zukny,
    Preware is installed and working.
    So is lunaCE if this could have any negative effect.

    many thanks,
    PD
  9. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
    Preware is installed and working.
    So is lunaCE if this could have any negative effect.
    should not be a problem, but the ueber-kernel might be.

    But not for your installation issue.

    I always copy the ACL ipk to my TouchPad, open it with Internalz and install it.
  10. #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
    HI I purchased ACL yesterday for my 64 white touchpad (has uber kernel installed set as default in Govnah)

    If I paste in the link to browser to launch Preware NOTHING HAPPENS.
    What am I doing wrong? Do I need to go back to standard kernel? Do I need to uninstall any patches?
    the url I paste into the browser downloads a com.openmobilew... file
    If I click on it I get cannot open MIME type .

    Any advice greatly appreciated,
    PD
    You have to paste the link in preware. When you open preware click on the top left and select install package. Then paste the link in the text field and hit install.
  11. #251  
    hi thg,

    I have internalz installed but is there any location to get IPK?

    many thanks,
    PD
  12. #252  
    thank you all installing now! Install direct package working as I type

    thank you all again,
    PD
  13. #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post

    On the other hand, ACL does not need too much space on the flash drive and if it is not started, it does not use any resources and does not disturb at all. So a good option would be, starting ACL only when you need it and then stop it or reboot the TouchPad after it.

    I asked PIC/OM for several times to include an option to remove ACL from the autostart and to add an "ACL start" to the screen, but they are just ignoring this advice :-(

    You can even implement this by yourself (I had this working with ACL 0.6 and 1.0), but I'm just tired on doing this again and right now my TP-64 is lying "half-working" on the table, because after the last "profile lost" I just had done a restore and not a redoctoring to get all working again, including ACL.
    I remember seeing a post how to do this...but I can't seem to find it anymore. Could you provide the steps (I'm also still using 1.0.1). I thought about removing ACL since I hardly use it, but turning it off when I don't need it might be the way to go.
  14. #254  
    MS Remote Desktop Client 8.05 on ACL final

    anyone got the virtual keyboard in microsofts rdc running?

    tested an old version on acl beta with same error and in the new one the keyboard again just pops up and slides back in.

    Version 8.05
    Package Name: com.microsoft.rdc.android
    File Size: 4.5 MB
    QR Code: View
    MD5 File Hash: 7294d7c2bed885f66948191e0cb2d9b4
  15. #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    should not be a problem, but the ueber-kernel might be.

    But not for your installation issue.

    I always copy the ACL ipk to my TouchPad, open it with Internalz and install it.
    Hello,

    Having UberKernel on your TouchPad will cause problems and ACL won't be able to run properly. We do not support UberKernel, as stated in our release notes (Product Support Requirements) here:

    ACL for webOS Release Notes €“ OpenMobile

    ACL has been tested and qualified on stock, non modified TouchPads. Users make many changes to their TouchPads and it would be challenging for us to qualify ACL in all of those custom scenarios. Please feel free to submit a support request if you need further assistance:

    OpenMobile

    Thank you,

    John
    OpenMobile Support
    Last edited by John_OM_Tech; 03/19/2014 at 09:07 AM.
  16. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #256  
    John,

    All noted and accepted re: UberKernel (UK). However, as you will know from the many months of monitoring this site that a very large proportion use it. It was a biter sweet pill when the 1st Official release advised UK was not supported although previously with the beta's it had been. I understand this had something to do with Cuspie's installer which you guys have 'worked around' . . .

    The fact that OMWW knows the extent of UK use and still does not support it is still disappointing.

    I wonder how many stock, unpatched and untweaked TP's are actually still out there being used as a main device, just so ACL can be installed on them.

    Personally I have UK on both of mine, running LunaCE 4.9.10 and find both installs of ACL 'acceptable'. For the majority of the time I use webOS and I cannot now get on with stock as I am too used to it working properly with all the tweaks!
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John,

    All noted and accepted re: UberKernel (UK). However, as you will know from the many months of monitoring this site that a very large proportion use it. It was a biter sweet pill when the 1st Official release advised UK was not supported although previously with the beta's it had been. I understand this had something to do with Cuspie's installer which you guys have 'worked around' . . .

    The fact that OMWW knows the extent of UK use and still does not support it is still disappointing.

    I wonder how many stock, unpatched and untweaked TP's are actually still out there being used as a main device, just so ACL can be installed on them.

    Personally I have UK on both of mine, running LunaCE 4.9.10 and find both installs of ACL 'acceptable'. For the majority of the time I use webOS and I cannot now get on with stock as I am too used to it working properly with all the tweaks!
    Hello Mike,

    We appreciate the feedback and understand you wanting ACL to be supported on an UberKernel TouchPad. You are not alone, several users have contacted us about this. Our development team has been made aware of this, but as of right now, no decision has been made to develop ACL for UberKernel.

    The comment we posted back in November still applies to these non-supported devices, which you can feel free to refer to here:

    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

    If anything changes, we will certainly let you and the webOS community know.

    Thank you,

    John
  18.    #258  
    Not sure if anyone else is set up the same, but I'm running the F4 Phantom kernel and haven't noticed any issues so far. Granted, I'm not running a ton of apps (mostly using Netflix and a couple of others), but no major issues. I'm also running CM10 and the only annoyance is that videos on some sites that used to play with no issues, no longer play at all. I haven't done any troubleshooting on that one yet, so not sure where the cause resides. But so far the F4 kernel has been working with ACL for me.
  19. #259  
    Is H/W video ever going to be supported in ACL? Bad enough that videos were always choppy in WebOS stock browser, advanced browser, and ISIS preware browser, I've installed my favorite Android video apps (YouTube, Crackle, TV.Com, CNET Video) and I either see a 240/320 video running smoothly but blown up to fill the screen looks pretty much unwatchable or they'll be 640 and up and everything is playing like Mr. Roboto.

    Also, anyone having problems with Feedly app? No problems skimming through articles but as soon as I select one to read with external browser (i.e. Dolphin, Opera, Stock) either nothing happens or when article loads my TP eventually freezes then resets. UB kernel or PalmOS kernel makes no difference!
  20. #260  
    Hi all,

    I have several observations, questions, issues:

    1) Anyone else has noticed that the blink notification in webOS no longer works, or is it just me?
    I run the release ACL version 1.2.0.3 on a TP 4G (no beta installed previously) and the notifications e.g. for email stopped.

    2) Once I lost completely the sound on webOS which required a reboot to come back. Is there another way?

    3) Where does the Music app look for mp3s? Mine are located in a mounted directory using "Network drives" and the webOS stock player (i.e. the media indexer) finds them just fine, but the Android player shows no songs on my device.

    And a shame, that I can not use my Blutooth keyboard with ACL.

    Regards,
    UW

    P.S.: Do I have Uberkernel really installed, if Govnah shows me Profile: Unknown even if I select UberKernel Default?
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB

Similar Threads

  1. ACL for Touchpad beta release tomorrow?
    By Steven Celebre in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 08/21/2013, 12:49 PM
  2. Navit release thread (legacy)
    By noradtux in forum Navit
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10/03/2012, 08:36 AM
  3. Pent up thread for release of new WebOS device
    By kkhanmd in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10/04/2010, 11:47 PM
  4. [Official] 1.4 Release Anticipation Thread. (Consolidated)
    By beachboy in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 458
    Last Post: 02/09/2010, 07:49 PM
  5. Treo 650 GSM / Unlocked release thread...
    By viper0775 in forum North American Carriers (GSM)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02/01/2005, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions