Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
    So now after uninstalling und testing without ACL, i installed the 1.2.0.3
    Seems ACL Documentation package is not the newest on offical HP Catalog (german), so i got the newest Update from Preware feed and installed as told there.

Installation was good and after entering licence code (for which i missed the entering area first) it was acepted.
    But i could not launch e.g. Android "settings app" , cause "ACL was not licenced" the notification told. Was the first time the code was used as i used beta before without having to enter code, so I just restarted device once and it was working.

Seems to work so far. Sideloaded some apps and some of the install was not that smooth (seems to hang a bit on installations) but i really did not test much so far.
    Quickly tested YATSE for my RaspBMC and that worked.

Haven't tried the fixes:

Defect Fixes

USB mode failing.
    Problems with ACL upgrades and uninstallation in current release stream.
    Audio on webOS issues when ACL is installed and running.
    Native webOS applications when ACL is installed and running.
    Scrolling capability on AppMall fails after AppMall left in idle state.
    Netflix app keyboard intermittently disappearing.
    App launching/installing issues.

But now hoping the known limitations and issues (esp. the hardware devices) are fixed soon.
    So how does one root ACL? Can someone please go through a step by step? I tried mounting rw to /media/omww/android/system as well as the chmod 0666 to the su binary in bin dir but apps that need root access are still denied.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by synchron View Post
    So how does one root ACL? Can someone please go through a step by step? I tried mounting rw to /media/omww/android/system as well as the chmod 0666 to the su binary in bin dir but apps that need root access are still denied.

Thanks in advance.
    To root you have to chown 0.0 su, then chmod 06755 su. Also you have to install superuser.apk to /system/app, then chmod 0644 superuser.apk. Then reboot and you should be rooted.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xxshaun1xx View Post
    To root you have to chown 0.0 su, then chmod 06755 su. Also you have to install superuser.apk to /system/app, then chmod 0644 superuser.apk. Then reboot and you should be rooted.
    Could you dummy down the chmod process to gaining root access. Ive never done it before. Sounds like there are a few of us who dont know command lines very well.
    Thanks
    Well I received the email about purchasing and downloading this "Today is a very exciting day for the entire webOS community! We are thrilled to announce that OpenMobile ACL for webOS is here! "
    I am just a little bit hesitant and would like re-assurance. Should I? I love my TP, want to add Android, but also do not want to mess anything up.How has it worked for you all?
    There's some kinda ACL documentation app in the app catalog. Maybe that can help

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    synchron and jrv331

It may just confuse you more, but also have a look at this post: ACL - Release Thread

Obviously read carefully (twice) and Google has lots of info about those unknown linux commands. Also, the wonderful guys here can probably help too.

Neither I nor John can be held accountable - unless it works for you!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I have read, re-read and re-re-read all those posts and more but no matter how I try to do it I can not copy the files to the correct directory. In the end I doctored my TP and installed Evervolv and it does all I need it to do.

If there is ever an easer way or an Idiots, Idiots guide then I may reinstall ACL and give it another go. Also the netflix lag was just to much for me.

Thanks to the guys for all the help

In case it matters these were the instructions I tried to use as I understood them the best

""In the webOS terminal

type su

then

mount -o remount,rw /opt/omww/android/system

download gapps for gingerbread and extract the zip

copy vendor, OneTimeInitializer, and GoogleServicesFramework to /opt/omww/android/system/apps/

reboot

open the playstore and it'll ask you to setup your google account. It'll take forever and seem unresponsive. After awhile it'll show to add your account and it'll work.

the play store works pretty fast.

the above is for 1.0.1 of acl. newer versions are located at /media/omww/android/system ""

and these

"" Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Simply use the USB mode to connect the TouchPad to the PC and copy the files over to the folder named 'Download""
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcarol View Post
    Well I received the email about purchasing and downloading this "Today is a very exciting day for the entire webOS community! We are thrilled to announce that OpenMobile ACL for webOS is here! "
    I am just a little bit hesitant and would like re-assurance. Should I? I love my TP, want to add Android, but also do not want to mess anything up.How has it worked for you all?
    I started with a trial license Friday and once I sideloaded some of my favorite apps like ES Explorer, Opera Mobile, Feedly, Angry Birds Space, I kind of felt this is a keeper so I paid my $20 to Phoenix store and installed permanent license. I'm hoping they fix the HW acceleration real soon because a lot of games install but are not playable due to the lag and a lot of videos won't play well due to the HD Framerate. I don't use Netflix but I would guess that it would not be a good viewing experience. And, of course, it would help if we could use apps like Seeder and AdAway to boost up performance but, alas, I can't get this darn thing to be rooted, which I think is essential. The Seeder app currently hovers around 200 or so which is basically why the UI lags so much. If it were rooted, that number would jump to 4096 and I'm sure would be a tremendous improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    synchron and jrv331

It may just confuse you more, but also have a look at this post: ACL - Release Thread

Obviously read carefully (twice) and Google has lots of info about those unknown linux commands. Also, the wonderful guys here can probably help too.

Neither I nor John can be held accountable - unless it works for you!
    Here are my steps to root which is not working for me:

1) Did the mount -o remount,rw /media/omww/android/system via xecutah terminal webos app.
    2) Copied the su binary to the /media/omww/android/system/xbin folder via internalz pro webos app.
    3) cd /media/omww/android/system/xbin (xecutah)
    4) chmod gu+s su
    5) Rebooted Touchpad
    6) I ran both 'Seeder' and 'AdAway' and they currently both freeze and never execute.

I also ran Superuser app and in the info it says the following:

superuser v3.1.4
    (47)

elite not installed

su binary v3.1.1
    (17)

(and in light green text) -rwsr -sr-xroot root/system/xbin/su

....so apps requesting su privileges definitely call the su binary but something is still wrong causing the process to hang. What's wrong with this picture?

Thanks in advance.
    I also ran Superuser app and in the info it says the following:

superuser v3.1.4
    (47)

elite not installed

su binary v3.1.1
    (17)

(and in light green text) -rwsr -sr-xroot root/system/xbin/su

....so apps requesting su privileges definitely call the su binary but something is still wrong causing the process to hang. What's wrong with this picture?

Thanks in advance.
    Ok, can not say for 100% sure, but the Google Play store only has V3.1.3 available for Gingerbread, I only used the Superuser.apk from the Play Store, but once installed, click the I then click the -rwsr -sr-xroot root/system/xbin/su which brings you to the Binary Updater, then click the "update", it should attempt to overwrite the existing SU and change it's mode, if it is successful, it should come back and say "that was cool, do it again", sure, why not, if it works again, then you are rooted...

Your should see something like:
    Downloading manifest_ okay!
    Parsing manifest_ okay!
    Latest version= 3.1.1
    Checking installed version = 3.1.1
    Unpacking sutools_ okay!
    Checking current install path_ /system/xbin/su
    Downloading new binary_ okay!
    Gaining root access_ okay!
    Remounting /system as rw_ okay!
    Copying su to /system_ okay!
    Changing su file mode to 06755_ okay!
    Making sure new su works_ okay!
    Moving su to it's final location_ okay!
    Remounting /system as ro_ okay!
    Cleaning up_ okay!

Repeated if you clicked to update again...

Using ES File Explorer select root explorer, you should get an alert from the Superuser.apk that ES File Explorer wants root access, unless you have it auto set to allow root?

Other then that, I have done this so many times on V1.0.1, V1.2.0, and V1.2.0.3 that I know it works, but the difference I am not using V3.1.4... YMMV
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/10/2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Hello guys, I've been playing around with ACL on my backup TP. I wanted to test it properly first - especially after I read about some issues related to the uninstalling processes. I followed the guide to install ACL, and after playing a bit with it I've uninstalled it.

Surprisingly all went fine: all Android apps installed went uninstalled from launcher pages as well the ACL app and ACL itself
    Has anyone else tried it?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

Your should see something like:
    Downloading manifest_ okay!
    Parsing manifest_ okay!
    Latest version= 3.1.1
    Unpacking sutools_ okay!
    Checking current install path_ /system/xbin/su
    Downloading new binary_ okay!
    Gaining root access_ okay!
    Remounting /system as rw_ okay!
    Copying su to /system_ okay!
    Changing su file mode to 06755_ okay!
    Making sure new su works_ okay!
    Moving su to it's final location_ okay!
    Remounting /system as ro_ okay!
    Cleaning up_ okay!

Repeated if you clicked to update again...
    I downgraded to SuperUser 3.13 and ran the SU binary updater and it keeps coming up:

Gaining root access... fail! (in red) every time. Any other suggestions?
    I downgraded to SuperUser 3.13 and ran the SU binary updater and it keeps coming up:

When I see the fail, it means the su it sees does not have the elevated rights it wants.

Can you take a ScreenShot of the Superuser screen and attach?

Does it not see the SU in /system/xbin, what are the rights?

Check to make sure there is not another SU in /system/bin or somewhere else that should not be there?
    The su binary is only in the system/xbin directory. Also I cannot run the su binary updater unless the /media/omww/android/system has read write accss if that means anything.

Here are some screenshots, thanks for your further suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stupid question: where can you download ACL, if you haven't got the e-mail anymore?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Stupid question: where can you download ACL, if you haven't got the e-mail anymore?
    Sorry, even though you need a licence key to use it I think the only 'legal' place is direct from PIC/OMWW. I can only suggest emailing them for the download location then once you've downloaded it save a copy of the IPK somewhere safe.

They do seem to be more responsive at the moment, from other comments in here.
    Responsive they are... thanks for PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Hi Garfonso,

Not a stupid question at all! I sent you a PM so check your inbox.

Thanks
    Anita

The easy way is to use wterm or xecutah. Type su, hit enter. Then mount -o remount rw, /media/omww/android/system. Then cd /media/omww/android/system/xbin. Then type chown 0.0 su. Then type chmod 06755 su. I had the same problem until I manually changed the permission for su. Also after you're done reboot your device. Before you do this though make sure su is in the /xbin directory.
    Hi guys.
    Can you please give some advice/opinion here?

I installed and tried ACL, and somehow I feel my TouchPad is not working as it was before and … honestly, I don’t see too much benefit out of this.
    I installed Skype - and … it’s not working. It won’t start at all. I tried several times uninstalling and re-installing, but nothing.
    I downloaded and installed several other applications (games, as well), but still not impressed. Many of the application that I installed from the OM AppMall are starting/running as on the mobile phone screen (not the tablet - HD version) and the application use only small part of my TP display (not nice at all !).
    I also installed YahooMail application and after the first start, everything looked OK, but after that - it was never able to update/refresh my Inbox again …. btw, the WebOs Mail application always worked fine for me… )
    In many cases also, when I try to start some android application, the screen goes black and nothing happens … Of course, there are some app that work fine.

.. to make a long story short, I have a feeling that my TouchPad worked much better before the ACL, and, as I already mentioned, I do not see some great benefits and improvements after installing it.
    I don’t know, maybe it’s just me,.. or I may not do or understand some things properly ?
    I see, many of you mention Netflix application, and are happy to be able to have it on their touchpads, but I don’t need it, so it does not mean much to me.

Can you please tell me, from experience, whether if I uninstall android applications and the ACL (the way I uninstall all other webos applications), my TP will be restored to its original state, or I will still need to do some more complicated actions (like doctoring or similar)?

Thank you … and sorry for this long post. I wanted to share my observations…
    Last edited by DarkoD; 03/12/2014 at 07:21 AM.