Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By namgod
  • 1 Post By TundraLTD
  • 1 Post By joeytino
  1.    #1  
    I've literally tried everything I've been able to find and ran in circles for days even changed the battery. My brain hurts. I just don't know where to go from here. I'd like to get it working but don't have high hopes right now. I just ordered a new in box TP (I hate my iPad, but I need it for work). If this TP is good for nothing but parts I guess that's what it will be

here is my doctor log along with tpdebrick typescript and lvdisplay that shows "2 segment" volumes that some say causes errors but I can't figure out how to correct it

I appreciate any advice, if someone helps me get this thing going I'll "donate" via paypal or something

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by TundraLTD View Post
    I've literally tried everything I've been able to find and ran in circles for days even changed the battery. My brain hurts. I just don't know where to go from here. I'd like to get it working but don't have high hopes right now. I just ordered a new in box TP (I hate my iPad, but I need it for work). If this TP is good for nothing but parts I guess that's what it will be

here is my doctor log along with tpdebrick typescript and lvdisplay that shows "2 segment" volumes that some say causes errors but I can't figure out how to correct it

I appreciate any advice, if someone helps me get this thing going I'll "donate" via paypal or something

Thanks
    I had the same problem on a Touchpad I picked up on craigslist for the cheap due to a bungled Android install. I ended up having to rebuild the partitions though a command line (tpdebrick may also do that but at the time It did not seem I needed to use that for the issue I was having). After about 15 minutes of exactly typing each command and checking it twice, I was a very happy camper when I saw that 12% roll to 13! I won't be at my PC with the bookmark of that site until tomorrow afternoon, but I will post it then if you have not already found it somewhere else. I hope this is of some help. Don't give up! It really does take a lot to kill one of these other than hardware failure.

I now have an iPad as we'll from my wife for Christmas and it is really nice but WebOS is so much more intuitive - especially flipping between apps, and I thought the android way was clunky - so I feel your pain.
    Last edited by joeytino; 02/03/2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: More encouragement.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    joeytino - Is this the page you were referring to?
    TouchPad Bootloop After Memboot

it helped me too so may also work for TundraLTD
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    joeytino - Is this the page you were referring to?
    TouchPad Bootloop After Memboot

it helped me too so may also work for TundraLTD
    No, but it's essentially the same process. Here is the link to xda page I used:

[Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0 - xda-developers

My fingers are crossed TundraLTD will hopefully be back to WebOS goodness.
    Last edited by joeytino; 02/03/2014 at 06:16 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Yep I've tried those. Maybe it would help if I listed things I've tried so far, that I can remember at least. besides the following I've tried tpdebrick, ACMEinstaller. ACMEinstaller says the backup doesn't match the boot sector, anyone know how to fix that? Also "fix_dos_fs.sh" from ACMEinstaller fails. I think this is going to take really getting into the guts of LVM, which I'm trying to learn but it's mind numbing

~ACME instructions
    1. Download the suite above
    2. Install the Novacom Universal Drivers.
    3. Move the Novaterm.exe and the TerminalControl.dll to C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin after installing the novacom drivers.
    4. Put the TP in Recovery mode (holding down power and vol+ at power-up)
    5. Run WebOS Doctor and wait for it to stall at 12%
    6. Open your command window and cd to the folder location of the ACMEInstaller
    7. Run this in the command window: novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
    8. When you see the ACMEInstaller stall and say that LVM failed, reboot by holding down power and home (the installer will force re-partition your device so webOS doc knows its not OK)
    9. Boot back into recovery mode
    10. Boot up WebOS Doctor and wait for the stall.
    11. Open the command window again back to where the ACMEInstaller and other files are.
    12. Run " novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage "
    13. Once it reboots, put back into recovery mode.
    14. For windows users: run command "novacom -t open tty://" *Now you are in the root!* Others just use "novaterm".
    15. Run each of these commands individually: "lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure" ,"lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure", and "mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media"

*IF YOUR DEVICE DYING AT 8%, You may want to use the fix_dos_fs.sh built in to completely repartition and reformat the disk before using the "mkdosfs" command. *

16. Reboot the device into recovery mode and Start up WebOS doctor and watch it work!

*If your device is still having trouble connecting over USB,but boots...RUN METHOD 1. That should fix it.*

~~I attempt to doctor after each of the following

Start CMD
    cd C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
    novacom -t open tty://

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
    tellbootie recover

~another
    Start CMD

lvm.static vgscan
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static vgscan
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-var
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-log
    tellbootie recover

~and another
    Start CMD

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static pvcreate /dev/mmcblk0p14
    tellbootie recover
  6.    #6  
    here is a shot of ACMEinstaller fail, excuse the inverted scan, I couldn't think how else to capture a readable the screen shot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to throw this out there, although I bet you have already checked it. The bug you encountered is mentioned in this post and if you followed all of the potential steps listed - which it seems you have - you probably have a hardware problem. Although long out of warranty, it might not hurt to try and contact HP under the presumption that yours has the defective chip and they may in their good hearts work with you. If not you at least have some spare parts for your new one down the road.

web doctor fails at %12 every time. Doh!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I'm going to throw this out there, although I bet you have already checked it. The bug you encountered is mentioned in this post and if you followed all of the potential steps listed - which it seems you have - you probably have a hardware problem. Although long out of warranty, it might not hurt to try and contact HP under the presumption that yours has the defective chip and they may in their good hearts work with you. If not you at least have some spare parts for your new one down the road.

web doctor fails at %12 every time. Doh!
    Yeah... HP wants $385 to look at it which I'm assuming would be just sending me another TP. I already ordered a nib 64gb TP from someone on eBay. I'm still going to try and work on this one but not at such a stressful pace
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I have forgotten at what percent this occurs at (8% to 12% perhaps?) One point of failure during doctoring is when the device changes usb names. I've never had to doctor my TouchPad but my Pre 2 would disconnect when it transitioned from Palm Bootie to whatever it called itself for the rest of the doctor process. This usually would not be a problem except when running the doctor inside a virtual machine which would have to be told to connect to what it thought was new hardware.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  10.    #10  
    I haven't used a VM. I've tried (so far) a pc running win7x64, laptop running vista, ubuntu 13.10, 12.04.2, 12.04.3, 11.04, and linux mint 15
    I haven't used a VM. I've tried (so far) a pc running win7x64, laptop running vista, ubuntu 13.10, 12.04.2, 12.04.3, 11.04, and linux mint 15
    I tip my hat to your persistence! We WebOs people are a dedicated lot.
    Before you assume a hardware failure, give one more thing a try. Take a look at my post (#10) in the thread below (which I haven't yet put in a thread by itself), and follow the instructions up through the point of running the TPDebrick utility:

Doctor 12% and my 32GB TP thinks it only has 16GB of mem

In short, the first part here is key, where you would be sending a command to zero-out all data in the partition table of the Touchpad's on-board flash memory. That will "brick" your device, but in a more virgin state for the TPDebrick programs to work with.
    Also one other thing if you had not already is to redownload the Doctor
  14.    #14  
    Still no luck but the 64gb TP i ordered has arrived. Does anyone know of anyone that repairs these as a service? Or know how to completely wipe this this and start from scratch? Now that I have another TP, even if I can't get WebOS to work I'd be happy with android on it. It just doesn't want to do anything

I get a whole lot of this "A bug has been detected in GNU Parted" when I try the above. Very long log file attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Does anyone know ... how to completely wipe this this and start from scratch?

I get a whole lot of this "A bug has been detected in GNU Parted"
    Check the link closely that I put up two posts back. The first part of my instructions on that thread wipes the entire partition table on the Touchpad from novaterm using only the dd command.

Here is the relevant excerpt I am talking about:
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors
    Unable to otherwise modify the block device scheme. I decided to try the "nuclear option" and wipe the partition table of the entire flash memory block device, /dev/mmcblk0. (WARNING- THIS IS A LAST RESORT AND YOU ARE ESSENTIALLY "BRICKING" YOUR TOUCHPAD INTENTIONALLY, POTENTIALLY PERMANENTLY) This was done by getting to a novaterm shell and running the command :

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 count=1
    As mentioned, this puts the touchpad into a totally bare and "bricked" state. After rebooting you will see absolutely nothing on the screen and you will not even be able to boot into webOS recovery ("bootie") mode. The touchpad will appear powered off.
    After that, try following the normal procedure to run TPDebrick on the Touchpad again.
    _
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 02/10/2014 at 09:04 AM.
  16.    #16  
    I'm going to assume the NAND is locked then because I've tried it several times. The screen doesn't go blank after rebooting as stated in the post

"After rebooting you will see absolutely nothing on the screen and you will not even be able to boot into webOS recovery ("bootie") mode"
    I'm going to assume the NAND is locked then because I've tried it several times. The screen doesn't go blank after rebooting as stated in the post

"After rebooting you will see absolutely nothing on the screen and you will not even be able to boot into webOS recovery ("bootie") mode"
    Does that dd command produce any output or error, or go through quietly?

So you're saying after you run that command and reboot, you are still able to get to the webOS recovery (big white USB logo on the screen)? If so, it does sound as though your NAND is locked.

If you are in fact still able to get back in through novaterm right now, can you copy/paste the output of the command "cat /proc/partitions" just so we can confirm what your partition table looks like at this point, and what did or did not happen?
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 02/10/2014 at 10:14 AM.
  18.    #18  
    C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom -t open tty://
    root@webos-device:/# ←[J

root@webos-device:/#
    root@webos-device:/# cat /proc/partitions
    cat /proc/partitions
    major minor #blocks name

179 0 31160320 mmcblk0
    179 1 102400 mmcblk0p1
    179 2 500 mmcblk0p2
    179 3 1500 mmcblk0p3
    179 4 1 mmcblk0p4
    179 5 500 mmcblk0p5
    179 6 750 mmcblk0p6
    179 7 2500 mmcblk0p7
    179 8 10240 mmcblk0p8
    179 9 1500 mmcblk0p9
    179 10 3072 mmcblk0p10
    179 11 3072 mmcblk0p11
    179 12 4096 mmcblk0p12
    179 13 32768 mmcblk0p13
    179 14 30504960 mmcblk0p14
    254 0 581632 dm-0
    254 1 65536 dm-1
    254 2 16384 dm-2
    254 3 24576 dm-3
    254 4 262144 dm-4
    254 5 139264 dm-5
    254 6 28860416 dm-6
    254 7 524288 dm-7

I wonder if the is a way to clear the memory physically, like shorting pins on the chip(s)?
    I wonder if the is a way to clear the memory physically, like shorting pins on the chip(s)?
    Thanks for that output. You must be in the small group then that apparently do have a frustratingly write locked flash chip.

The only other compelling info I've come across from this point on about using my suggestion of clearing the partition table and the potential to reset the NAND write-lock bit was on this thread at XDA developers, starting at post #284. Perhaps they have made progress since I last looked:

[Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0 - Page 29 - xda-developers

(Direct link to post #284 by itself):
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0