Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By BrucePain
  • 1 Post By imfallen_angel
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Ripped my CD's to mp3 using fairstars free CD ripper software. All good. Artists and Album names etc are in english. Copied using the USB connect these mp3 files to the touchpad, openned using the music player and songs play but artists and album names appear in Japanese......WTH ??
    Shouldn't you look at a "Fairstars" forum?

This wouldn't be a Touchpad thing, it's the software that's pulling it's info in Japanese, you need to check the language software of that software.

Being a "free" software, make sure that you didn't end up with a virus getting installed.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. Norton checked Fairstar for viruses so should be OK. Yes have raised same question to Fairstar about this problem. Also downloaded an mp3 tag editor but as yet unable to get to the language atrribute which I believe is causing Touchpad media player to display track names etc in Japanese.

Any other thoughts welcome......
  4. eqr
    I was just thinking how interesting it would be if the music were actually playing in Japanese......

sorry )
    Quote Originally Posted by eqr View Post
    I was just thinking how interesting it would be if the music were actually playing in Japanese......

sorry )
    Are you a wizard ? image needed here....
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrucePain View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Norton checked Fairstar for viruses so should be OK. Yes have raised same question to Fairstar about this problem. Also downloaded an mp3 tag editor but as yet unable to get to the language atrribute which I believe is causing Touchpad media player to display track names etc in Japanese.

Any other thoughts welcome......
    Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

Try this metatag editor... if this doesn't show you where the issue lies, you really have something interesting...

If that fails, you could email me one of the songs to look at...

And Norton?!?!?!?! is a piece of crap BTW... get Avast or something better..

Norton and McAffee are pretty much viruses themselves at this point due to the amount of crap they do and how much they slow your machine down. (Same with iTunes). And how much they are bloated.

I wouldn't trust them whatsoever.
    I see a pattern...
  7.    #7  
    Yep using MP3Tag but it doesnt show the language attribute when it displays tag data for a track, so have left a message with them ...prob need to buy the full version rather than the free download.
    Re Norton's ....have multi PC lic at the moment so will let that expire before considering options.
    Hoping the several days it took to rip 5.5gb of music wasnt a waste of time..
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eqr View Post

sorry )
    Now that would be impressive alright... but rest assured music plays as it should....I just dont know the track name or artist etc since I cannot read Japanese.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

Try this metatag editor... if this doesn't show you where the issue lies, you really have something interesting...

If that fails, you could email me one of the songs to look at...

And Norton?!?!?!?! is a piece of crap BTW... get Avast or something better..

Norton and McAffee are pretty much viruses themselves at this point due to the amount of crap they do and how much they slow your machine down. (Same with iTunes). And how much they are bloated.

I wouldn't trust them whatsoever.
    If I send you a file imfallen_angel, do you have a prefered artist?
    I just remembered I have one track on one of my ripped CDs that displays in Japanese or Chinese characters. Just the one track though, the rest are fine.
    S-U-G-A-R Jump into your racing car, say SUGAR RUSH! SUGAR RUSH!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If I send you a file imfallen_angel, do you have a prefered artist?
    Oh, not important what it is, I'd just try and see what's causing the Japanese metadata.

Just send it to my yahoo.com account (same name)

And, possibly a shot in the dark, but if you might have Windows Vista, with Windows Media Player 11, right-click the song and you'll have a metadata editor that is very good... it really shows just about everything about the file. (Another thing that Win7 with WMP 12 screwed up)

Otherwise, open the folder, right-click the file and look at properties under the details tab, you should get most of the metadata information in there.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 01/17/2014 at 12:12 PM.
    I see a pattern...
    Maybe one side or the other is interpreting the tags in the wrong encoding? Or more likely, your original ripper downloaded incorrect metadata. Do re-tag them with Mp3Tag. (Also note Mp3Tag is freeware, so you can't buy it.) All of my music is tagged with it, and they're fine.
  14.    #14  
    Hi,
    Bought a Sony walkman with bluetooth and loaded my MP3 files to it and it works great !! Giving up on using the TP and it's Japanese BS !! Funny how the files attributes show in English on my PC, on the TP in USB mode and on the walkman....just TP media player somehow wants to display in Japanese.

Never heard back from FairStar or MP3Tag forums.....so went with above.

My thanks to all who offered help and advice.

Cheers
    Bruce
    Hi,
    Bought a Sony walkman with bluetooth and loaded my MP3 files to it and it works great !! Giving up on using the TP and it's Japanese BS !! Funny how the files attributes show in English on my PC, on the TP in USB mode and on the walkman....just TP media player somehow wants to display in Japanese.

Never heard back from FairStar or MP3Tag forums.....so went with above.

My thanks to all who offered help and advice.

Cheers
    Bruce
    I had the same exact thing happen on my Touchpad with Music Player (Remix). everything was fine for about a year and all of a sudden EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING was in Japanese. I contacted the developer and was told it had to do wth Meta Tags or something. Either way, it was not the apps fault.

Everything was fine on my computer and on my Zune. just my Touchpad went bonkers. I have since deleted all music off the machine and am currently using my Zune or HP iPAQ 210 for my portable music listening.

-Koa-
  16.    #16  
    Finally got a reply from FairStar on their CD ripping software, so thougt I'd share it in case someone else uses this product to rip music for use on the TP.

Thanks for contacting FairStars Soft.

Please set "Option -> freedb -> Tag Encoding" as Local Default or UTF8.
    Then click "Refresh" and "Query" button in main interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoaFeliciano View Post
    I had the same exact thing happen on my Touchpad with Music Player (Remix). everything was fine for about a year and all of a sudden EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING was in Japanese. I contacted the developer and was told it had to do wth Meta Tags or something. Either way, it was not the apps fault.

Everything was fine on my computer and on my Zune. just my Touchpad went bonkers. I have since deleted all music off the machine and am currently using my Zune or HP iPAQ 210 for my portable music listening.

-Koa-
    Yes and I stand by that assessment. My app Music Player (Remix) has a lot of features, but auto-translation into other languages is not one of them! My app would have no way to do this. All its data comes directly from the webOS media indexer which indexes all the media files on the device and retrieves the tag information from the files. So either there's a problem with the tag data in the files, or the webOS media indexer has some kind of issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Yes and I stand by that assessment. My app Music Player (Remix) has a lot of features, but auto-translation into other languages is not one of them! My app would have no way to do this. All its data comes directly from the webOS media indexer which indexes all the media files on the device and retrieves the tag information from the files. So either there's a problem with the tag data in the files, or the webOS media indexer has some kind of issue.
    I suspect it's the webOS media indexer, as I checked the required tag settings for Fairstar and it was already set to UTF8 and my ripped track names etc appear in English on my other devices.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Are you sure it's Japanese - can you read it? What I want to know is if they are correctly tagged in English, where the heck is webOS getting the foreign characters? Would you mind sending me a file to look at too? My email is my screen name @ gmail.com

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/21/2014 at 05:17 PM.
    I suspect it's the webOS media indexer, as I checked the required tag settings for Fairstar and it was already set to UTF8 and my ripped track names etc appear in English on my other devices.
    As the other guy said, metadata is part of the file, it's embedded with the music within it's container... a device cannot invent something that isn't there, and I've never seen a device do an auto-translate over a setting.

I've had files that has weird stuff, and it was always due to faulty metadata.

As I've never use Fairstar, I can't speak about it possibly doing something weird to the files, but I'd still say that it's the best explanation.

I usually rip CDs with WMP and if I need to convert to MP3, I have Audio Converter Pro (but it's a bit dated now, but still a great convertor), and if the metadata is off, I correct with MP3Tag, never had a single issue with this approach.
    I see a pattern...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.