Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    anybody manage to get BBC iPlayer or any other tv streaming service (such as TVcatchup) working ??
    havent even tried tvcatchup now they removed my fave channels liek dave etc.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  2. WDPage's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Well it is not hard, once the ACL is started, log into the touchpad via a command line (xterm, webOSQI, Novaterm, etc...)

    Run a command mount -o remount,rw /opt/omww/android/system

    Now go to the directory /opt/omww/android/system/app

    and remove the APK's that you see that you do not want, you can also install Google Market (which is what I used, look in a Google Market on ACL thread on the process), install the SuperUser APK and SU in ../system/bin (remember to chmod it correctly search my previous posts in the ACL thread I detail it there), I was going to post a full document on what I did but because they pulled v1.0.1 I figured it would be a waste of time documenting my steps...

    If you wish to learn more just ask, or if you get stuck post a screen shot of what you tried to do...
    John,

    Are you using the ChainsDD SuperUser APK and SU? And does this root the ACL installation? If not, how did you root the device?

    Thanks,

    Wayne
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Anyone else having issues with webOS keyboard not working? It's happened a few times now after using ACL and then trying to type an email or web address in webOS.

    Rebooting and using the webOS KB fixes it, but it is annoying. Maybe v.1.0.2 will fix?? :-)
    haven't had any issues so far with the KB not working... it seems to be one of the things that works best...
  4.    #24  
    Ok can somebody please teach me, tell me, show me, anything like that about sideloading and how it works. It seems like you can unlock even more apps but i'm not sure how it works or how to make it work
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by usafandersons View Post
    Ok can somebody please teach me, tell me, show me, anything like that about sideloading and how it works. It seems like you can unlock even more apps but i'm not sure how it works or how to make it work
    I can tell you my easy user-friendly way. First, go to Settings => apps => allow installations outside Google Play. Now browse to Amazon and download their app store. After downloading, click the "Downloads" app and tap the APK and the Amazon app store will install.

    Uff :-)

    Now, launch the amazon app store and download a file Manager (e.g. total commander). With a file Manager you can tap any downloaded apk and install it :-)

    best wishes,

    steffen
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by WDPage View Post
    John,

    Are you using the ChainsDD SuperUser APK and SU? And does this root the ACL installation? If not, how did you root the device?

    Thanks,

    Wayne
    so you got ACL installed... What apps are you installing

    Follow the above mount, then:

    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

    Do not forget to chmod it correctly:

    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/24/2013 at 02:13 PM.
    cbosdell likes this.
  7. #27  
    My favorite replies from John are 90% links to other posts. :-)
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    MikeN68 likes this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    My favorite replies from John are 90% links to other posts. :-)
    Partial cut/paste from my other posts not quoted:

    Well it is not hard, once the ACL is started, log into the touchpad via a command line (xterm, webOSQI, Novaterm, etc...)

    Run a command mount -o remount,rw /opt/omww/android/system

    Now go to the directory /opt/omww/android/system/app

    and remove the APK's that you see that you do not want, you can also install Google Market (which is what I used, below for the process), install the SuperUser APK and SU in ../system/bin (remember to chmod it correctly look below), here is a post of a cut/paste so one may have a full document on what I did even though they pulled v1.0.1 people have asked for it...

    Here is the gapps URL I used, now do not follow the advise of the URL, only use APK files in the zip file...

    Use ONLY these three APK files OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk, GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk, and vending-3.1.3-signed.apk (you can also install Talk-signed.apk to get Google Talk working)

    How to install Android Market on the Nextbook Next8se Android Tablet - The Digital Reader

    Here is my step by step

    1) Goto the URL download the gapps package, DO NOT FOLLOW THE URL'S DIRECTIONS (as it is for another tablet).
    2) Unzip the gapps package.
    3) Copy the three APK files OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk, GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk, and vending-3.1.3-signed.apk to your Touchpad USB media drive (either by disabling ACL, or WIFI sharing)...
    4) Make sure ACL is enabled (which allows system to be mounted).
    5) Remount system read/write mount -o remount,rw /opt/omww/android/system
    6) Copy the three APK files above to /opt/omww/android/system/app
    7) Change there modes chmod 0644 APK file (replace APK file with the file names above).
    8) Validate vending app is still there (some reported that it gets deleted) ls -l
    9) Using SuperUser.apk (I got it from the cm9 build, but you can download the APK from anywhere, and find the SU itself on the web)
    10) Install Superuser.apk to system/apps and SU to system/xbin (I had an issue with the SU, it would not grant me root, make sure to chmod gu+s su to fix this su bug), superuser.apk saw I had su 3.1.1 and back dated it to gingerbread 3.0.3.2 version... Worked well...
    11) Remount system read only mount -o remount,ro /opt/omww/android/system
    12) Reboot Touchpad
    13) Validate all APK are still there, if not repeat process of the APK that is missing...
    14) Reboot, Validate
    15) Reboot, Validate
    16) Reboot, Validate
    17) Ok enough if they are still there the they will normally stay...
    18) Launch market, sign-in or create new, please be patient it seems that it is working in the background and does not accept all tap inputs... keep trying.... keep trying...
    19) If one of the APK's disappear repeat process...
    20) Once you click done it will come up with a sync and finish page click finish.. wait wait wait..
    21) I had to close market and reboot the Touchpad, but it worked given enough time...
    22) Enjoy the market and Root...
    23) Smile...

    The only other part I did not document was how to change the three ko files from tenderloin to shortlion, but Rod already did that...

    Now fully rooted and with Google Market...

    If you wish to learn more just ask, or if you get stuck post a screen shot of what you tried to do...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/24/2013 at 02:33 PM.
    WDPage and Garfonso like this.
  9. #29  
    No that's not what I meant. I genuinely think most people don't do their own research and just ask someone else to do it. Most of the time me being helpful is me posting links to other threads. But thanks for the walkthrough anyway, I'm sure it will help some folks.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  10. #30  
    OM should pay this community for making their product more valuable.
    Garfonso and TUFF Stough like this.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    OM should pay this community for making their product more valuable.
    Netflix, Hudl (a little slow), kingsoft office, printersharer (a lot nicer than the touchpad's workaround) - all with Ubrrkernal and lunace 4.9.5 running.

    terry
  12. #32  
    Fitbit and Duolingo for me
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    on my regular android cheapo knockoff devices changing to be an Asus, Nexus 7 always did the trick, or any google own product.

    ro.product.brand=google
    ro.product.model=Nexus 7
    ro.product.manufacturer=asus

    ^ something like that, tho the above isnt gingerbread friendly at a guess.

    Also a devices DPI affects what you can see/install as well, which thankfully only seems to affect some apps like EA games and other rare/random stuff.
    Help, I am giving up

    Market installed: check
    root enabled: check
    build.prop modified: check
    working: NO

    I tried several build.prop modification but no one did the job. the apps in the Android market are still limited. Even no angry birds, ...

    I am editing the build.prop in .../android/system. This should be the right one, correct ?
    Could anyone share his working build.prop
  14. #34  
    Any urls to safely sideload apks without any warez? I'ld like to install standard apps like Facebook for Android etc, and neither the AppMall nor AmazonStore has it for me...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  15. #35  
    androiddrawer.com

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffensammet View Post
    I can tell you my easy user-friendly way. First, go to Settings => apps => allow installations outside Google Play. Now browse to Amazon and download their app store. After downloading, click the "Downloads" app and tap the APK and the Amazon app store will install.

    Uff :-)

    Now, launch the amazon app store and download a file Manager (e.g. total commander). With a file Manager you can tap any downloaded apk and install it :-)

    best wishes,

    steffen
    this was awesome.... Went from like 5 apps to like 35 apps. This was a great little work around.... I greatly appreciate all the help. I'll let you all know how everything works
  17.    #37  
    so I got the google play store installed via side loading, but can't get past the point where I need to add an account.... Anybody else having this issue or know how to get past it?
  18.    #38  
    facebook - works great
    angry birds - plays great
    angry birds:seasons - works
    angry birds: space - work
    netflix - works
    amazon app store - works
    pintrest -works
    Twitter works
    music download free - install but can't connect to download
    histogram - can do everything but take new pictures since camera doesn't work yet
    google play store from (from appeals) - installs and runs by it can't download and install apps
    google play store (from google) - can't link google account
    text+ - works well
    YouTube - works
    tubebox (YouTube video downloader) - works

    *just tested SoundHound - and that works great
    Adobe Reader - Works
    Kik messenger - Works
    Google Goggles - works if picture loaded from library
    Temple Run 2 - work but response to swipes are a little laggy
    LinkedIn - Works
    Tumblr - Works* (updated12/30/2013 @ 2140Z)

    as I test more I'll let you know how it goes
    Last edited by usafandersons; 12/30/2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: update
  19. normsland's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffensammet View Post
    Help, I am giving up

    Market installed: check
    root enabled: check
    build.prop modified: check
    working: NO

    I tried several build.prop modification but no one did the job. the apps in the Android market are still limited. Even no angry birds, ...

    I am editing the build.prop in .../android/system. This should be the right one, correct ?
    Could anyone share his working build.prop
    Same problem here. Unfortunately I cannot see any additional apps in Android Market. Does anyone have a good build.prop that they'd be willing to share? Thanks
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by usafandersons View Post
    facebook - works great
    angry birds - plays great
    angry birds:seasons - works
    angry birds: space - work
    netflix - works
    amazon app store - works
    pintrest -works
    Twitter works
    music download free - install but can't connect to download
    histogram - can do everything but take new pictures since camera doesn't work yet
    google play store from (from appeals) - installs and runs by it can't download and install apps
    google play store (from google) - can't link google account
    text+ - works well
    YouTube - works
    tubebox (YouTube video downloader) - works

    *just tested SoundHound - and that works great
    Adobe Reader - Works
    Kik messenger - Works
    Google Goggles - works if picture loaded from library
    Temple Run 2 - work but response to swipes are a little laggy
    LinkedIn - Works
    Tumblr - Works* (updated12/30/2013 @ 2140Z)

    as I test more I'll let you know how it goes

    any request for other apps to try out... I still have a few more but just tossing the question out there for those who might still be wondering...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Google market and Amazon apps for ACL
    By jxrxblanchard in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 05/02/2014, 07:37 AM
  2. ACL. Running Android apps on WebOS
    By pepebuho in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06/11/2012, 08:32 AM
  3. Installing 1.4.5 OTA with F102 & patches installed
    By neville in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/15/2010, 07:56 AM
  4. Help with launcher. apps show twice when installing from apps catalog
    By mulkeym in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01/11/2010, 05:37 PM
  5. Installing PDANet PC driver only (HotSync not installed)
    By Sprinter in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09/09/2004, 12:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions