Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I've thought about proactively purchasing a spare Touchpad battery as a hedge against a future need. However, per this post on iFixit (HP TouchPad Battery Replacement - iFixit) attempting a replacement myself is long, involved and inherently risky and/or damaging. I also expect finding a service able and willing to do it for me would be cost prohibitive.

Any thoughts for/against to help with this decision?
    Quote Originally Posted by Runil View Post
    I've thought about proactively purchasing a spare Touchpad battery as a hedge against a future need. However, per this post on iFixit (HP TouchPad Battery Replacement - iFixit) attempting a replacement myself is long, involved and inherently risky and/or damaging. I also expect finding a service able and willing to do it for me would be cost prohibitive.

Any thoughts for/against to help with this decision?
    It's actually not that hard once you get the way the clips are built.

I'm attaching a quick graphic I did to show how to proceed.

Once you get the screen off, be gentle, slow and do not pull as there's a few cables that you need to watch for.

Once that's done (and it's opened like a book), you can do two things...

1) continue dismantling it until you get the motherboard off and can see the connector for the battery.

2) if you're ready to take a small chance, you can get the battery out with the wires going under the unremoved motherboard. You can remove the screws on that side, then pry the motherboard just high enough that you can pull the connector out. Then in reverse and get the connector plugged back in.. this could save you a good hour as there are a lot of screws and cables that you need to undo and redo if you remove the motherboard.

Make sure that you remember where everything is, where it was removed from and plugged in.

First time I took mine apart, it took a fair amount of time, but once I understood and had the experience, I was able to reopen and switch the battery in less than five minutes. (I kept switching between the original battery and a new one during my attempts to recover a dead Touchpad, which was eventually saved via TpDebrick).

But again, if you go the pry the motherboard up way, be extremely gentle, and don't use something with sharp edges.

The one tool that used that I found very handy was a staple remover (like this one but without the top plastic staple catcher: http://www.promo-wholesale.com/Upfil...0090833708.jpg)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/12/2013 at 10:59 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...