Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    OK, I hate to say this, but I wasted my $80 pledge!

On December 4th, I tried to reinstall the Amazon App (because it dissapeared), I got a message from Google someone tried to access my account from Chicago. Before I was able to change my password, I noticed that someone logged in from Jakarta, Indonesia, that same day! Why do I think it is related to ACL, it happened while I was installing and using the ACL and trying to get apps installed.

It may not be ACL fault, but I really think it may be tainted apps from that mobile app store. Prior to this, I only had 2 attempts over a 2 year period. Now I have changed my password several times now in the past week.

To add insult to injury, there was a third attempt from Japan with Cyanogen Mod 10.1

I am done! Going to do a clean wipe of my Touchpad and just stick with pure webOS and will migrate to a Surface Pro tablet when the laptop dies.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/10/2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    <thread title updated to tone down>

Dude, just because you got a Google notification about an attempted Google login on your account, doesn't mean it was in any way due to ACL. Coincidence that you just happened to be installing ACL at the time of the notification - yes. My last notification of an attempted login on my Google account happened when I had just installed a Firefox update. Didn't mean it was due to FF.

I'm not a huge fan of ACL, but sometimes stuff that isn't related to each other just happens at the same time.
    xandros9 and Rnp like this.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Yea I did not see that report. Interesting read and makes me want to put my tinfoil hat back on.

One of the apps was a side-loaded Amazon App store and the 2nd was Opera Mini browser from Indonesia. Now, Was it a proxy server for Opera Mini? I could not verify it. I just do not remember logging into Google via Opera Mini.

Now on CM10.1, I have been installing and using CM of and on for 2 years and never had any issues. I really cannot think why CM would need to access my Google account from Japan.

OK, I think I am going to put my tinfoil hat back on for now.

Anyways, I would not think that ACL was the source (and the title of this thread may be miss leading), I dismissed the first two attempts as coincidence but three times in one day? I had enough.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Could be something easy as:
    NEVER use Andoid OS or apps without a decent security software on the device. I got one on my galaxy S3.

As there is no security software in the ACL shop and probably none that works anyway, ACL *might* be a nice way for malware to open up your device.

This is something I had posted on the phxdevices forum already.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Please use Google's 2-step authentication for logins. I have been using it since launch and think it should be mandatory.

Microsoft recently announced they will be launching a similar service.

Sent from my Desire using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I started the two step this morning. I wonder if it would be safer if I only side loaded apps from a trusted device instead of that would be safer?

On a side note, last month someone down on Georgia tried buying buying at Walmart with a counterfeit copy of my debit check card.

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app

perhaps you should get your "virtual" tinfoil had back (no kidding).

great article about how identity thefts are working (will happen with different combinations of accounts the similar way today):
    How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    ...great article about how identity thefts are working (will happen with different combinations of accounts the similar way today):
    How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Thanks, gizmo. EVERYONE should read this.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee