Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    A few days ago my dual-boot Touchpad went blank. It was running and plugged into its charger at the time. It seems suddenly a lot of people are simultaneously having the same symptoms. I strongly suspect there is something going on that's bigger than the suggested 'low power' problem that's been offered.

If you have suddenly had your Touchpad stop working recently, please add a 'me-too' to this post, so we can get an idea of how many people are affected.

If you have been successful at recovering from this error, or have other solid info as to cause; please post to this forum so others may benefit.
    You might want to repeat this over at XDA and link back to this thread... For whatever reason people go there for problem solving even for OS devices that are really fringe to the majority interest of that site.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm not a member at that site. Could you post the linkback?
    Quote Originally Posted by Runil View Post
    I'm not a member at that site. Could you post the linkback?
    Done.

I added it to two areas there (webOS and TouchPad forums). I'll PM you the two links.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    A post elsewhere recommended the three-finger-salute (all three buttons for 15 seconds). I did that and after blinking, my Touchpad has now gone dark and refuses to show any signs of life. Thought you should know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Runil View Post
    A post elsewhere recommended the three-finger-salute (all three buttons for 15 seconds). I did that and after blinking, my Touchpad has now gone dark and refuses to show any signs of life. Thought you should know.
    I had this happen to three of six touchpads belonging to one of my customers (they use them to "tabletize" a windows shop-floor data entry app using SplashTop). Two of them hadn't been used in awhile, one had been in somewhat regular use but no one could say for sure when it was last working. I had one connected to a known-good TouchPad 2-amp charger for several hours while I was on-site working on other things, with no sign of life the whole time. So I took all three of them home, and put them on my touchstones; each one finally showed the low-battery-charging display after about 4-6 hours on the charger, and booted up a few minutes after that. After that they charged up normally and seem just fine.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Please help my touchpad has bricked on mei cant figure out how to un brick it can someone please help
    <email address removeds by moderator> all i get on it is the ? in a box i have tried the three button approach to no avail i am stuck if i gould get pointed in the right direction It wouuld be great thanks in advance
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/08/2013 at 05:54 PM.
    I would suggest making sure it's fully charged first. Plug it in for a few hours and see if it wakes up.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've been having the same problem tonight. Take heart, the problem seems fixable!

It does look like you will need the original charger that came with the TP or a touchstone It doesn't seem to work with an ordinary USB cable.

All I did was to pick up the TP and hold the power button plus the one near your right thumb at the same time for 15 seconds.

I then set the TP back into its Touchstone.

What I had learned from another forum, is that it will take a few minutes for the TP to come back to life. At first, the dreaded dead battery image continued to be there and the TP couldn't be turned off or on. I just left it in the Touchstone, and when I returned 15 minutes later it was back up again, acting as though nothing had happened.

So a reset + waiting a few minutes seems to do the trick. Surely a heart stopping moment and curious to learn that this seems to be happening to so many people at the same time, indeed.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I had this happen to three of six touchpads belonging to one of my customers .... I had one connected to a known-good TouchPad 2-amp charger for several hours while I was on-site working on other things, with no sign of life the whole time. So I took all three of them home, and put them on my touchstones; each one finally showed the low-battery-charging display after about 4-6 hours on the charger, and booted up a few minutes after that. After that they charged up normally and seem just fine.
    Ok, I'm back up and running. I don't have a TP Touchstone, so I used the wall charger from my Pre 2. For the first couple minutes you get a flickering warning telling you to use the 'correct' components to charge with. Ignore those and let it continue to charge. Several hours later, I hit the power-up button and my TP booted normally.

So...
    1) Direct PC -> USB = no good
    2) TP wall charger = won't do it.
    3) Lower output Pre wall charger = works.
    4) TP Touchstone charger apparently works too, but I don't have one of those.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I cant give an explanation as to why the TP will accept lower-slower charging but lock out the higher charging TP charger in these cases; but that seems to be what's happenning.

Pre chargers can be purchased for almost nothing on ebay.
    Good luck everybody!
    A reason might be the way power is handled with USB.

The standard allows only up to 500mA of charging, that is what you get at maximum from your PC or any other "real" USB ports. The 1A charger do a simple trick: They short circuit the two data-lines, i.e. data will never work, but it's easy to test for the devices being charged, so they know they can consume 1A at max.
    For the 2A charging there are more sophisticated things going on with resistors in the data lines and stuff (and some do even other stuff...) which might be more complicated and not working right in the state of too low battery to do anything.

In short detecting 1A is easier than detecting 2A chargers, maybe that is why it worked.
    I had the same issue with a newly unboxed TP 4G I just received... it refused its original 2A charger and went online at my 1A outlet. After a first sign of life I switched back to the 2A charger and it was happily charging with it for the rest of the day.
    Yes.. the original *cause* of this problem may however lie with CM Android continuing to suck power while you think it is 'off'?
    So if you are going to leave your device uncharged and unattended for while, put it in Airplane mode and shut it down completely to turn it fully and actually 'OFF'.

It seems that when the TP battery is rendered totally flat, that the webOS power management system software then 'forgets' everything it used to know about how to to recharge itself!

Slow 500mA trickle charge seems to bypass this amnaesia and allow it to remember that it is a flat TP battery after all - and subsequently recharge normally!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    So if you are going to leave your device uncharged and unattended for while, put it in Airplane mode and shut it down completely to turn it fully and actually 'OFF'.

Thank you for your suggestion.
    That's not an option for me. I keep my TP in Android mode with Talkatone and Email running to pick up Google texts, voicemails, and emails in real-time. Then boot to WebOS for audio, video, or ebooks. I have my Pre2 for calendar and to-do lists. So, frequent recharging is the order of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. the original *cause* of this problem may however lie with CM Android continuing to suck power while you think it is 'off'?
    except the 3 touchpads I had this happen to are all stock WebOS, no android in sight.
    Every battery drains slowly, even if there are no consumers at all, i.e. the device is completely off. If you do not touch your touchpad for weeks, better charge it before. This also can seriously damage your battery, i.e. reduce lifetime fast.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Goodman View Post
    Please help my touchpad has bricked on mei cant figure out how to un brick it can someone please help
    <email address removeds by moderator> all i get on it is the ? in a box i have tried the three button approach to no avail i am stuck if i gould get pointed in the right direction It wouuld be great thanks in advance
    I have had it on the wall charger for 2 days and istill have the question mark in the middle of my screen when i turn it on I think the boot file my be corupt any sudgestions
    I have had it on the wall charger for 2 days and istill have the question mark in the middle of my screen when i turn it on I think the boot file my be corupt any sudgestions
    it's your A6. Needs reflashing. search tpdebrick004 on xda and rootzwiki.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    STOP! Advanced nerd alert!! "search tpdebrick004 on xda and rootzwiki"!!? Does he think everybody in the world should understand what this means and how to pursue it? Before your resort to trying to "get your A4 reflashed"...try this ->

Check my post about 6 up from this one. I started this thread because like you, my Touchpad would not boot no matter how long I left it on the charger. A solution was found. It involves using a Touchpad specific Touchstone, or barring that, a similar lower output usb charger.

Just like what happenned to me, your Touchpad is temporarily unable to recognize it's native charger. I used a wall charger from a Pre2 to get mine going again. They're extremely cheap on ebay. But I'm guessing you dont want to wait that long.

Do you have any other usb chargers in your house? Not one that plugs into your pc, but one that plugs into a wall outlet or your car's cigarette lighter? That's where you should start. Plug the cord from your Touchpad into one of those. You should start seeing error messages on your touchpad within moments.

Once you get your Touchpad to wake up, you should be able to go back to using your old charger.

Please read my earlier post for further information.

edit: As TopTongueBarry has so helpfully pointed out, it's "A6", not "A4".
    Last edited by Runil; 12/12/2013 at 12:03 PM.
    There is a confirmation of tpdebrick working from a poster over at XDA...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I tried writing the "ultimate" guide to revive Touchpads, but somehow, people overlook reading older threads about the same issues that they are dealing with and re-ask the same questions over and over..

Anyways... take a moment, see if there's any info here that might assist you:

Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast