1.    #1  
    I searched but could not find anything on this. My last auto backup was in Sept. and when I try to set one it fails. Is this function gone?

I want'd to backup to do a full erase because the Touchpad has stopped downloading most email texts. Full erase was one of the fixes I found.
    i recommend a few other steps before a full erase.

confirm your profile is still valid
    attempt a manual backup
    delete and re-add your email addresses. make sure you have copies of emails you want to keep; forward them to yourself if necessary.

check your palm profile is valid by going to the hp website:
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

and check that's the same email in your System Settings info on the phone too

confirm your profile is active on your phone and attempt a manual backup, through the Backup app in the phone, then Preferences. Then choose backup now.

Re enter passwords for your mailboxes, or delete and re-setup if necessary, in the Mail app.

also confirm your App Cat cert is the current one, or it may not be allowing communication to palm servers.

Consider the save/restore app in Preware as a possible option for backing up before a full erase.

good luck!
    I just found this thread. My veer also stopped backing up (auto and manual) since 11/30.

How can one find out if this is a server problem.

In 2011 the server issue was also from 11/30 onwards in the first week of december. Is this coincidence?
    fyi

my last auto backup was at 3:35am this morning, and i just now did a successful manual backup too.

check your device info us correct @ the site i mentioned above. then try Impostah to review your device and profile info on the phone.

good luck