Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ArchonAdvisors
  • 1 Post By ArchonAdvisors
  1.    #1  
    I don't really use my TP nowadays. The battery life is still great though and I'd like to keep it that way. What's the best approach? Should I charge it to about the 50% mark and shut it off?
    50% would get you to critical much sooner and Lithium Ion cells dont like being at critical. Charge and partial discharge cycles are best. I'd say 100 w/ an occasional top up.
    Its better though to put them to use as Lithium Ion has a shelf life - about 3 years. Whether or not they're used, that time will come when they no longer hold a decent charge.

Find something to do w/ it.
    • mount in the kitchen for recipes and youtube cooking channels
      place in a high-traffic area as a picture frame
      in the study/reading room as a learning aid
      use as auxiliary display for certain PC apps or games
      vehicle entertainment (mount behind headrest)?

To help cycle the cells you can plug into a timer or control it w/ the wall switch and AC outlet.
  3.    #3  
    I've been leaving it plugged in and turned on, then I just unplug it once a week or so and let it either trickle down to 50% or close to 0% before I charge it again. A solid release of Ubuntu Mobile for the Touchpad could pique my interest in it again though.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The most important rule is to charge it once via USB before storing it if you have been charging it on a Touchstone dock. There's a known fault in the charging mechanism that something fails to shut down completely when you power off if the TP was last charged on a Touchstone. It causes the battery to drain at a rate which will kill it within 3 days. It's fixed by charging once via USB. The TP battery will then last for months when it's powered off.
    Last edited by Semma2; 11/21/2013 at 05:09 PM.
    (I remember a thread someplace on the forum addressing this question already...found it: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ore-my-tp.html )

In short, for long-term storage where maintaining the lithium battery is top priority, 40% is the ideal charge level. Low temperature will also slow degradation of the cells and prolong life. If your Touchpad is in fully shut down, there should be no power draw, and little concern for a lithium cell to go critical.

See below:
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

This data shows that at 40% charge, the battery can retain 96% capacity at a little above around room temperature, and 98% capacity when kept at freezing temperature.
    Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 11/21/2013 at 11:28 AM.
    ananimus likes this.
    Although I don't think you want to freeze the whole TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Although I don't think you want to freeze the whole TP.
    maybe cryogenic freezing is an option
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post

If your Touchpad is in fully shut down, there should be no power draw, and little concern for a lithium cell to go critical.
    I wouldn't have thought so either, but this hasn't always been my experience. I've noticed that my battery will sometimes drain at a significant rate -- say 10% or more in a 24-hour period -- when completely powered off. Others have reported the same phenomenon:

Touchpad Battery drains when off - Is webos 3.0.5 the problem?

A previous reply attributed this to charging on the Touchstone prior to shutdown and advised using the USB charger instead. I think this can be effective, but if I were the OP I'd check the battery level within a day or two of powering the TP down before putting it into long-term storage. Or better still, just continue to plug it in once a week or more rather than risk having it silently descend into a fatal, complete discharge.
    Another option that no one mentioned... if it's a question of putting it away from a very long time...

I'd say charge it to max, then open and pop the battery out... that should prevent most issues.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    maybe cryogenic freezing is an option
    Then you'll need to seriously consider the consequences of letting it out in the future:

xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Another option that no one mentioned... if it's a question of putting it away from a very long time...

I'd say charge it to max, then open and pop the battery out... that should prevent most issues.
    No, it would be the 40-50% charge as noted above, then pop the battery out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    The most important rule is to charge it once via USB before storing it if you have been charging it on a Touchstone dock. There's a known fault in the charging mechanism that something fails to shut down completely when you power off if the TP was last charged on a Touchstone. It causes the battery to drain at a rate which will kill it within 3 days. It's fixed by charging once via USB. The TP battery will then last for months when it's powered off.
    Hi @Semma2 ! This is the first time that I read about such issue with charging it on a Touchstone dock (I assume you mean the TP wireless charging stand). Where can I read more details about this specific issue. What damage can this cause?
    My own experience with a TP was: It was sitting on the wireless charging stand for day without problems. Then I wanted to reboot the TP. After shutdown my TP was completely dead and still is. (The only option I see would be use the "tpdebrick" to get it back to live.