Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By jrb363
  • 5 Post By i2y4n
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By dkirker
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Nostalgia hit me tonight for some reason and I decided to take a look around the forums, specifically around the time shortly before the Touchpad released. Boy, those were some happy times huh? Everybody was happy and the biggest concern was whether or not to wait for the upcoming 'Opal'.

It's only been two and a half years since that fateful summer where all of our hopes and dreams were to be crushed mere months later, unknown to us all.

This place is in bad shape. No posts from Derek in over 5 months, not even a single post on the boards. (that I've seen) Currently only two 'trending now' topics and it appears as if LG is more committed than ever to Android with the release of the new Nexus 5. Let's be honest guys: There is no savior, no hail mary, no strike of lightening or a white prince waiting to come and rescue us. We're a rag-tag group of nomads wandering the great abyss that is OS abandonment.

At least we have each other, right?
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    ananimus and xandros9 like this.
    Yeah, I've been wondering who is running the site lately.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    No one's going to put news articles up here unless there is actual real, reportable news.

Check pivotce for a webOS dedicated news site.

And head over to webOS-ports and help them out. The sooner they get webOS stable on the Galaxy Nexus the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, I've been wondering who is running the site lately.
    HelloNNNewman.

(seriously, though...)

The guys are doing stuff with pivotCE though too. That's pretty great.
    Alan Morford and pattyland like this.
    Gotta agree....

I came in later due to not stepping into smart phone territory until later then many (once my clamshell phone died due to a slip on ice, and the Pre being the nicest phone out there, with a promotion that made it the best deal around).

I admit that I've been with Palm products a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, and have many units still that myself and the family still use.. (the kids a lot less) but my wife still uses her LifeDrive on an almost daily basis, and another on my LifeDrive, along with the fantastic speaker craddle from Antec Lansing, is my daily alarm clock/going to bed music player.

I also admit that when I tried the Pre for the first time on a display, I was less than impressed, but this was V.1 so still very buggy, so that did push me to hesitate for over a year before I made the jump.

From the moment I had my Pre, (which no longer was buggy or lagged like the demo had), I was pretty much hooked.

A few months later, I spent a lot of time looking for a Pre2 locally, to finally finding one (which is still the one I have, still working in perfect condition after over 2 years). (and my wife got my Pre)

After missing out of the Touchpad's firesale, it took me 6 months to finally get one at a reasonable price, and that was another hook and sinker... my wife threatened to never give it back unless I'd get her one.

All the while, I joined the site here, learning more and more about these devices, learning that bit by bit, my old Palms while still having some options and capacity that are still forgotten, (including a library of amazing apps), my Pre2 and Touchpad eventually replaced them for the functions that my Palm devices had been king for over a decade.

I come to the site on an almost daily basis, always hoping to hear some good news, and giving a hand, best I can, to those with problems, questions, etc.

When I see a question left unanswered, but with hundreds of view, it does sadden me that there is such a lack of participation...

But as I've stated in other threads, I've yet to see anything that comes close to WebOs, and have only seen "new features" in both iOS and Android that are mere shadows of what WebOs has been doing for years, and yet, their users wet themselves over these "new features".... *sigh*

So until something comes out that will seriously match WebOs, I just can't see why I'd not drag these devices into the next decades with me....

I would love a Pre3, but I've yet to see something in the 150$ range that so many claim they go for, but I've yet to see or get.

But anyways... I will continue participating on this site for as long as I can or that it exists... even if I end up being the one that turns the lights off....

R.I.P. Palm... there's so much that you could have been, and it's very sad that it ended the way it did, and I still continue to hope seeing a revival, a salvation, in some sort of way, but until then, I'll keep the lights on.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    This place is in bad shape. No posts from Derek in over 5 months, not even a single post on the boards. (that I've seen) Currently only two 'trending now' topics and it appears as if LG is more committed than ever to Android with the release of the new Nexus 5. Let's be honest guys: There is no savior, no hail mary, no strike of lightening or a white prince waiting to come and rescue us. We're a rag-tag group of nomads wandering the great abyss that is OS abandonment.

At least we have each other, right?
    Look at it this way:
    One day, the Open webOS port will arrive. Alpha 3 is due soon.
    Enyo plans to support Open webOS.
    Preware 2 is being built in Enyo.
    ACL is almosssssst... here. Currently, webOS users are their ONLY market. Their future options are Pre3, other platforms (not so far!) & future webOS (LG webOS too?).
    That first port will be hard, but once it's out, there may be a whole bunch of 'xdadeveloper' types pulling dusty Gnex's out of the drawer and then try to port to something newer because the second port should be easier.

So, I don't expect a revolution, but you might find you have a nice, truly open source OS on a range of up to date devices. Profile & back up to your own server or the cloud should be possible. Google have just brought out what is basically a touchstone for the nexus 5 (magnets and everything!) and it will be Qi compliant.

The missing piece is the app-catalogue: An official, can take your money kind of thing. Perhaps PIC will take this on - kickstarting the price of a server and backend development might be do-able. Perhaps OM's catalogue for ACL will also support webOS apps. Maybe even Enyo will run a catalogue?

Now the negative view:
    The port may never arrive. Or arrive when the market has moved on and all webOS features have been 'copied' or even superceeded. Everyone on the port is highly skilled, no doubt fully employed on other stuff and lacking free time. OM may go under simply because the market for ACL is too small or technical issues mean that it never quite works smoothly. Without Open webOS on any device in any form, Enyo may decide it's not worth commiting resources to support.
    The LG TV may have a webOS you don't recognise & will never make it to a phone or tablet.

In that case, both iOS and Android become more like webOS with every release. There's Sailfish, Ubuntu, Firefox, Cyanogenmod. Something eventually will be close to what you want.

Of course my fingers are crossed for the port. I have a feeling that even a basic first release will attract HB patches and apps to restore the things we like about webOS. There's some talk that even proprietary parts like mojo could be reincorporated so old apps will run.

I guess the community is now of a size that instead of asking, "What can webOS do for me?", ask, "What can I do for webOS?". If you can code, try helping on the port. If not, there are other projects or you could just write for pivotCE.com

;-)
    Nostalgia hits me A LOT. Especially from the PalmOS days.

I'm using some of it to spin the webOS-Ports stuff. Should be good.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I'm using some of it to spin the webOS-Ports stuff. Should be good.
    Get the PalmPre guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The missing piece is the app-catalogue: An official,
    ?? missing ?? Why do you think the app-catalogue is missing ?
    The official HP app-catalogue is still up and running. (This is one of the few items that are still in reasonable good shape.)
    I've not heard from HP that there are any plans to stop that service.
    One very few apps are being submitted in these days. (That is a big problem - and it is not a surprise - because no new devices are available.)
    The open webos ports are not ready for a number of new devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    ?? missing ?? Why do you think the app-catalogue is missing ?
    The official HP app-catalogue is still up and running. (This is one of the few items that are still in reasonable good shape.)
    I've not heard from HP that there are any plans to stop that service.
    One very few apps are being submitted in these days. (That is a big problem - and it is not a surprise - because no new devices are available.)
    The open webos ports are not ready for a number of new devices.
    That's a good point actually, but looking to the future, I'm not clear that Open webOS is compatible or if a device running it will be able to connect to the app catalogue (tokens? mojo?). Also, I'm assuming that if HP sell the patents then... won't it be over? I mean, I assume there is some kind of timer counting down here. Even if the official catalogue sticks around, it's... not in good shape. I tried searching the web version today and every query 404'd.

EDIT: Of course, there's always a solution: appcat.tk

So, it's a few assumptions, but long term, I'd guess a replacement will probably be needed.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/19/2013 at 07:57 AM.
    I'll just leave this here, i think it fits

m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Swapped out my iphone 4 for my Pre Plus this past weekend because I needed a hot spot (free on verizon with the plus). God, I still love that pre, even with the sticky keys. The curved profile feels good in the hand. Something that the horde of come latelys are just now adopting (curved phones). Then there is the iphones card interface. Yes, the list goes on, and someday after they are all done crowing about their "latest" innovation, they might be where Palm was 3 years ago...