Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By csysio
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

my Touchpad stopped charging. I thought I ran into the 'dead battery' problem and tried several techniques, but to no avail. Then I've send it for repair. They managed to run it with a battery from another device, only to discover charging doesn't work because the charging port is broken. According to them, it's not possible to replace the port on the motheroard, so the only possible way of repairing is replacing the whole motherboard. Too costly.

So, I have a Touchpad with a broken charging port and no idea what to do with it (apart from hammering). Any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by csysio View Post
    So, I have a Touchpad with a broken charging port and no idea what to do with it (apart from hammering). Any recommendations?
    Do you think the "charging port" hardware is broken ??
    Did you ever connect the TP to a PC via USB cable and what does the PC display for that USB port ?
    Did you consider using the tpdebrick tool?
    Hi there,

my Touchpad stopped charging. I thought I ran into the 'dead battery' problem and tried several techniques, but to no avail. Then I've send it for repair. They managed to run it with a battery from another device, only to discover charging doesn't work because the charging port is broken. According to them, it's not possible to replace the port on the motheroard, so the only possible way of repairing is replacing the whole motherboard. Too costly.

If it is the charging port, maybe not the motherboard, did you attempt the TouchStone?

I also think the A6 chip could be corrupt, which you should then go down the TPDebrick path...
    Hi there,

Since we don't have all the details of what the Touchpad can still do or not, how it's death came about, who these repair people are, etc. it's hard to recommend anything.

Is it completely dead?
    Did putting another battery made it work fine?
    Any activity on the screen, with the buttons, etc.?
    Have you got a Touchstone?
    Plugging into a computer, do you get a response?
    Do you see damage with the USB connector?
    What "several techniques" did you try?

As the others stated, unless you've gone down the TPdebrick road, which reset/rewrites the charging circuit chip for Touchpads that no longer charge as this chip fails to recognize the battery, you should consider this a possibility.

That said, since you appear to state that the Touchpad does indeed worked with another battery, then this might not be the issue, and as stated, it is possibly the port .. which from I'd understand, the USB connector.

If yes, as suggested, using a Touchstone should allow you to charge it. With a broken USB port, you hopefully have Preware installed or are still able to connect for data via a computer, if yes, install Preware as soon as possible, and then install WIFI File Sharing so that you may be able to transfer files back and forth with your computer and no longer need to use the USB port.

If this is still not possible, then regrettably, consider selling it for parts as the screen, battery, etc. would all be worth something for someone else.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/14/2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I broke my screen a year ago and bought a new one, then couldn't find two sided tape that was slim enough to use, then after aquiring that I just put it off and tonight I started assembling it and realized the screws are missing. The only place I can find them wants $15!!!!!!!! for a few little screws, it's worth $15 to me to have it working but just on principle I can't spend that much on a few screws! So if you decide to smash or part it out I would love to buy your screws
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by p4lmpr3 View Post
    I broke my screen a year ago and bought a new one, then couldn't find two sided tape that was slim enough to use, then after aquiring that I just put it off and tonight I started assembling it and realized the screws are missing. The only place I can find them wants $15!!!!!!!! for a few little screws, it's worth $15 to me to have it working but just on principle I can't spend that much on a few screws! So if you decide to smash or part it out I would love to buy your screws
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Have you checked eyeglass repair kits?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Have you checked eyeglass repair kits?
    not yet, that's a good idea though! Thanks!
    For csysio.....I damaged the usb charge board by dropping mine also. You can buy it online for $30 to $40. It is held in place by 4 tiny screws and snaps onto the mainboard. It is very easy to remove. Worst part is removing the lcd screen to get access to it. I followed the guide on ifixit....there are pictures with simple steps laid out for you. Wasn't too bad at all, just take your time.
    If all else fails you can always use it as a frisbee or boomerang?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10.    #11  
    tpdebrick helped! Thanks a lot!

It was kind of a near-magical experience when a device whick looked 'dead' and considered broken by the repair service reported as a modem when connected to a usb port.
    MartinH@webos likes this.