1.    #1  
    Hello all. I have an issue (which also occurs on my Pre3, but this is another tale*) leaving me thinking of webOS as one of the worst OSs for multimedia despite the fact I love it and can't even imagine me using Android or iOS or whatever. Whenever I am listening to music via the stock app while browsing a webpage on my beloved tablet, or even while typing on TouchPad virtual keyboard like I'm doing right now to open this thread, a terribly annoying play-pause-play-pause effect occurs, also called "lag". It's not continuous, but when it happens it's horrible. I don't know much about this issue while watching videos, I have watched some but nothing relevant happened, except a quite bad YouTube experience due to the lack of an official app. I have Uberkernel and Govnah setting CPU to a fix 1.5 GHz frequency on my 32 GB, Wi-Fi only device.

* As I said, since this also occurs on my Pre3, though with far devastating effects for my multimedia experience on webOS than on my TP, I can't believe webOS has such issues. I also opened a thread for my Pre3 which lead to nothing despite people offering many advices, leaving my problem unsolved. Ironically such problems never occurred on my dear old Pre 2. New generation webOS devices disappointed me because of this, since I have both a 3 and a TP with the same, stupid, annoying issue which I can't stand. I hope to get some good advices at least to solve it on my TouchPad.

Please help me.
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 11/16/2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    I'm a bit confused.. are you having trouble with your PRE3 or your Touchpad?

You don't state what App you're using either... if you're streaming from network, local memory, or from online?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I read the it was a webOS issue but affects the Pre3 more than the TouchPad, but didn't affect his Pre2. Maybe the extra RAM in the Pre2?
    I get a bit of stutter sometimes on my Pre3, but not enough to worry about. I do recode to a very low bitrate (96 or so) though so that may be the cause (or part of it).
    Well, this skipping thing got me curious, and since the Touchpad is mentioned as supposedly having this issue...so...

I've taken this afternoon in trying to make my Touchpad skip while playing music from it's internal memory (MP3 at 192kbps, 44100Hz) , using a BlueTooth headset (so to add to the odds), having a few web pages open, and when I first started the playing, it took a moment to get it's cache prepared so it skipped for about 5 seconds, but no skipping after at all (doing random songs play), including if I flip to the next song via the headset's controls.

The only "skip" I get (a single hiccup) is when I open a new App, so right now as I write this, I have open:

the music app, playing via BlueTooth
    2 browsers at different websites
    Astraware Mahjong
    Radiant Defence
    Monopoly
    Assassin's Creed

and picked those games since these are fairly demanding games.

Still no skip....

When I get a chance, I'll try similar with my Pre2.

Edit: ok... just spent quality time with my Pre2..

Running the same Bluetooth headset, I played music (from the onboard memory) while:

2 browsers opened,
    Sparkle
    Arkend
    Google maps

I had one click when I opened two of the apps, but the music continued just fine.

So I wonder if this lag is only on the Pre3, and like many devices, might be linked to what's loaded on it, or just some faulty hardware that can happen from time to time.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 11/15/2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I'm a bit confused.. are you having trouble with your PRE3 or your Touchpad?

You don't state what App you're using either... if you're streaming from network, local memory, or from online?
    Both devices, but since nothing useful came out for my Pre 3, now I'm trying to get some help for my TouchPad. I use the stock music player to play music stored on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    I read the it was a webOS issue but affects the Pre3 more than the TouchPad, but didn't affect his Pre2. Maybe the extra RAM in the Pre2?
    I get a bit of stutter sometimes on my Pre3, but not enough to worry about. I do recode to a very low bitrate (96 or so) though so that may be the cause (or part of it).
    Did recoding solve the random stutters you were experiencing? Also, does it compromise music quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    So I wonder if this lag is only on the Pre3, and like many devices, might be linked to what's loaded on it, or just some faulty hardware that can happen from time to time.
    Thought of that as well, could it be some kind of hardware fault?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    You might want to try Amigo Music Player, supposedly a lot lighter on resources I believe it's free in Preware
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You might want to try Amigo Music Player, supposedly a lot lighter on resources I believe it's free in Preware
    Sadly there's only the old 1.1.1 version. By the way, I think it wouldn't solve the problem: on my Pre 3, for example, lag is still there even while using Koto Player, the lightest I've ever used.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    With just the 8GB of space I pretty much needed to recode. Generally I don't hear too much hiss and distortion but I do know it is there. I would rather use better quality MP3 but I'd have to cut my music in half instead. Decent earphones help though.

Mine kinda 'clicks' every now and then, but as I said, it doesn't worry me.

** Using Music Player Remix by Hedami **
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    ** Using Music Player Remix by Hedami **
    Speaking of Music Player (Remix), it has the unique ability to "minimize" the app to the notification area which completely removes the app's main card. This provides an extremely light (on resources) version of the app allowing you to keep playing your music while using other apps. And with Remix you have the ability to configure multiple notification panels for different functions (basic play controls, interactive scrubber bar, and playlist preview).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Speaking of Music Player (Remix), it has the unique ability to "minimize" the app to the notification area which completely removes the app's main card. This provides an extremely light (on resources) version of the app allowing you to keep playing your music while using other apps. And with Remix you have the ability to configure multiple notification panels for different functions (basic play controls, interactive scrubber bar, and playlist preview).
    So I can swipe away the app card while still having it in the notification board? 'cause I can't see any performance difference between it and the stock player. For example, right now I'm listening to music with MPR, and sometimes it lags while I'm writing this post. It's quite annoying, I can't open a webpage without it lagging. It makes me wonder, what the hell could be causing it? Nothing seems able to solve it, nothing actually appears to be real cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    So I can swipe away the app card while still having it in the notification board? 'cause I can't see any performance difference between it and the stock player. For example, right now I'm listening to music with MPR, and sometimes it lags while I'm writing this post. It's quite annoying, I can't open a webpage without it lagging. It makes me wonder, what the hell could be causing it? Nothing seems able to solve it, nothing actually appears to be real cause.
    To run in "minimized" mode, you tap the "-" icon at the top of the Now Playing screen. That will remove the card and the app will run in the notification area.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  12.    #12  
    No, sadly it doesn't help. Music still lags while browsing the web or typing. I can't stand it.