Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I will begin like most others do and explain that my TP will not turn on no matter what I do.

No amount of playing with the buttons get's it to turn on. The charger definitely works and is the original charger. I have tried all of the variations of power and volume up/down and home that you can find on the web. I was convinced that the battery must have died. I removed it, and put it on the charger. It was at 3.2 volts and charged it up to 4.2 volts. It is holding at 4.2. I re installed the battery and nothing comes on no matter the button combinations. I opened it back up and removed the charging port and checked it's continuity with the board and it's perfect. No physical issues either. I never removed the screen for the battery removal, but I went ahead and removed the screen and then cleaned the contacts and re installed it as well. There is no evidence at all of anything wrong.

Since I stopped playing with it it has been on the wall charger with no signs of life for 8 hours, but again, the battery is now fully charged. The buttons didn't get mangled, and no scratches on it at all. Was never dropped or gotten wet, or any abusive use. It worked great for the 2 months I owned it and now I have so much school stuff on it it would really be a detriment if I can't get it working again. It's been over a week since it wouldn't come on and has been on the charger the whole time that I have not been playing with it.

When I plug it into the computer it gives a pathetic low three notes (indicating a missing driver I think) and only shows up as qhsusb_dload. I "emailed" hp but I am not expecting much from them.

Any suggestions of what to look for while it's open that might have caused it to brick on it's own. Every person I've read about getting their TP to work again was having a battery problem. 3.2v doesn't really indicate that that was the case here. It just won't come back to life. The "Sleep of Death" issue is irrelevant because it should have been fixed by disconnecting the battery.

Any help is very very welcome as I'm at the edge of sanity. Keeping in mind that it's not the battery too discharged, or that I'm not hard resetting it.

Krypt
    Hi - I assume I'm in a very similar situation for some weeks. (I did not open my TP yet - but I very much assume the battery is still ok. My TP was working fine (sitting on a Wireless charger for weeks) and then I wanted to reboot it. But TP never restarted since then.) My TouchPad was running webOS 3.0.5 with few patches - but no Android on it.
    I'm still looking for ideas how to revive it. (Best without opening it - but perhaps over USB connection somehow)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hi - I assume I'm in a very similar situation for some weeks. (I did not open my TP yet - but I very much assume the battery is still ok. My TP was working fine (sitting on a Wireless charger for weeks) and then I wanted to reboot it. But TP never restarted since then.) My TouchPad was running webOS 3.0.5 with few patches - but no Android on it.
    I'm still looking for ideas how to revive it. (Best without opening it - but perhaps over USB connection somehow)
    It is difficult to assume the battery is fine. Many people say not to open your TP until you give it at least a week on the charger. Some also recommend to put it onto a weaker charger for a cell phone or on the touchstone. Fewer still swear that plugging it in and out repeatedly every 5 secs will "force" a little juice into the battery. Opening it isn't really for the faint of heart, but it is absolutely do-able by anyone with an understanding of how delicate the insides of electronics can be. You will no doubt crack the clips off, but the TP still snaps together pretty well without them.

I decided to open it up again and fully disassemble every board and connector in there and clean/poke around with the multimeter. My motherboard is accepting the output of 3.7v and reading such where it should. There is no obvious damage to any component. Really what I'm looking for is a list of things that it could be that would prevent powering on the tablet.

Krypt
  4.    #4  
    Due to the lack of response both here, and from HP, I've decided to try the tpdebrick program that's out there, unfortunately there isn't anything like tpdebrick for windows, so I am no going to try ubuntu live flash to run it that way. I'll let everyone know what I find.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/29/2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: quoting own post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptKeeper View Post
    I've decided to try the tpdebrick program that's out there, unfortunately there isn't anything like tpdebrick for windows, so I am no going to try ubuntu live flash to run it that way.
    I would be in the same situation. But I have not tried tpdebrick yet.
    Actually - I can not find what this tool really does. It would be very interesting to understand - at least high level - what it tries to do with the bricked TP. And perhaps there is some diagnostics part in the tool which just lists the status of the TP. If possible I'd like a stepwise recovery where in between I can see what the tool was able to recover.

I wonder what the overall guideance is:
    If you see the "qhsusb_dload" status on USB is then today tpdebrick the only solution to recover the TP?
    And would I see the "qhsusb_dload" status if the TP battery was completly dead?
    What are known reasons that TP can get into this "qhsusb_dload" status?

@TheKryptKeeper - looking forward to read about your results.
    I would be in the same situation. But I have not tried tpdebrick yet.
    Actually - I can not find what this tool really does. It would be very interesting to understand - at least high level - what it tries to do with the bricked TP. And perhaps there is some diagnostics part in the tool which just lists the status of the TP. If possible I'd like a stepwise recovery where in between I can see what the tool was able to recover.

I wonder what the overall guideance is:
    If you see the "qhsusb_dload" status on USB is then today tpdebrick the only solution to recover the TP?
    And would I see the "qhsusb_dload" status if the TP battery was completly dead?
    What are known reasons that TP can get into this "qhsusb_dload" status?

@TheKryptKeeper - looking forward to read about your results.
    The creator of the tool, has replied what it does several times, but I will try to answer...

When one gets in this mode (QHUSB_DLOAD), the flash seems to be corrupted to a point where the A6 chip and bootloader can not start. How does this happen, nobody knows really, but people who have ANDROID and let the battery run down to low seem to have this happen more often then just webOS users (at least from researching the forums).

Once the battery gets to low, seems the circuits that control the flash do not have enough energy to do its job and it corrupts the flash is my guess?

or

Once the battery gets to low, seems to corrupt the A6 chip which then allows the circuits that control the flash to corrupt the flash?

So what the tpdebrick does:,rebuild the flash, first by using the Qualcomm USB loader, it boots a Linux kernel (bare bones), then once this is done it repairs the flash and updates the A6 chip. once it is done it flashes a bootloader back to the flash, which allows one to doctor the device (it is recommended to use webOS 3.0.0 default as it rebuild's the stock partition sizes).

Then one can update to webOS 3.0.5, once done.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I'm just a bit perplexed on how you charged the battery... these batteries aren't easy to charge without the proper tools, and they can be dangerous if done wrong.

Everything you said sound EXACTLY like the standard charging chip corruption. Everything you said is EXACTLY like what I tried and would get... plugging it in the computer and getting a failed driver install, putting a charged battery in, etc.

You saying: The "Sleep of Death" issue is irrelevant because it should have been fixed by disconnecting the battery. is WRONG WRONG WRONG....

As far as the battery being charged or not... even if it is, if the charging unit's chip is corrupted, it won't care, it's simply not recognizing the battery.

The Ubuntu tpdebrick solution is your best bet.

It took me 6 months to find the info (for it to come out), and a couple of weekends to get Ubuntu setup right... it wouldn't with one machine and then tried to load it in a vitual window, which failed.

Trial and errors lead me to a very silly and simple solution... grab a spare hard drive, replace my C; drive, and do a full install on it.

Once it was done, everything else fell in place and my dead Touchpad that I had tried everything with it, returned to life right away with the new battery I had purchased and installed. I then returned it's original battery (and now have a new spare waiting), and that one took overnight to fully charge.

Since then, it's been working great.

I wrote instructions/my experience in a post.

Revived Touchpad... my story, full instructions...

as the tpdebrick instructions lacked one important item that made me waste a few hours.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 10/30/2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  8.    #8  
    My Results Are In!

From reading the above posts I decided to go ahead and give a quick and dirty on the "normal" process of reviving a touchpad as there are several schools of thought and none of them are exhaustive. In short, I want to mention enough things here, that hopefully people doing google searches like I did will find this.

Feel free to skip sections you understand already.

Button Combo's:
    A small fast list with what I understand to be the effect. I have everything for a minute because some have reported success with longer than 30 secs. All of these should be done while plugged into a charger.
    Power only for 1 min - Clears out small hiccups
    Power and Home for 1 min - Hard reboot and has large success
    Power and volume up for 1 min - Puts it into qualcom mode
    Power and volume up and home for 1 min - I guess does Extra rebooting
    Then do all these steps in order again - People have sworn by it
    After that, I would call it and assume that it's the battery.

The battery:
    It seems that "hp touchpad battery not charging" is the number one search and issue with these. The battery relies on it's internal power to start it's "charging circuit" instead of the incoming power from the wall. Therefore when it gets too low it can't start itself up. Solutions are to plug in and out the charger ad infinum to try and trickle charge into it, use an hp touchstone for days, use a lower amp charger like a cell phone or computer connection, ensure that your hp charger plug is screwed in all the way, make sure the wire isn't broken, and finally remove the battery and charge it on a lipo charger.

After doubting this problem myself and trying the button combinations, I went ahead and removed the battery. There are instructions on fixit but I didn't have those tools, so I used a fine flat blade screwdriver, knowing that the clips are going to break anyways, and got it without much difficulty, but that first clip is the scariest. When it is all unclipped the screen will hinge away (still be careful not to damage the ribbons) and I only loosened the two screws by the battery plug, unscrewed the battery, and gently tugged/lifted the motherboard 1mm and it came out no problem.

I then took it to an rc hobby shop. Measuring any of the pins did not work for me and it ended up it needed to be plugged into a charger before it displayed 3.2 volts. However, if you opt to completely remove the motherboard then there are two copper contacts on it by the battery cable plug that will allow you to read it's charge. Left it with the guy for a while and he said he put it up to full. I plugged it in and nothing happened.

Power Button:
    Does it click when you push it? Sometimes it breaks, but if you have it plugged into a computer, just hold power and home and wait to see if your computer gives the sound like when you pull a flash drive out of it, then gives the sound not like when you connect a flash drive, but 3 short low pathetic notes.

At this point if you have a full battery and it still won't come on, then you might want to try to "debrick".

Using tpdebrick-v004 for windows:

"tp debrick for windows" doesn't exist. However, it was pretty easy to download ubuntu (must be version 12.04) and load it onto a flash drive, then reset my computer, go into setup when it's loading, and load from that flash drive. There are instructions out there for this.

My first error:
    dfu-until not installed
    fastboot not installed
    Aborted.
    Solution: I wasn't using ubuntu 12.04

Second error:
    QDL mode not found
    Aborting.
    Solution: I did several things at once without really knowing which did it. I plugged it into a different port, I held power+home+power up for 30 secs, and I typed lsusb (thats LSUSB uncapitalized) in the command promt and found qualcom, inc .gobi.

Last error:
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
    MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
    MSG: 0x00000000
    MSG: Error Status:
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    MSG: Open multi failed, unknown error
    ERROR: Open multi failed, unknown error
    Invalid openMulti response.
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.

This one seems to be the death knell for it. "diagnose an hp touchpad" doesn't really pull anything up in google because hp hasn't released any real information about it (I guess). However, this error seems to mean that there is a hardware problem. I pulled it apart one last time and really went over all the boards and every connection and it looks perfect, so I don't know. The last time that the touchpad worked was right before I put it into my back pack and come home from school and put it on a charger. It was in it's case, and there was no rough handling and no water damage. It just failed. I spent several weeks looking up solutions but at this point all signs seem to indicate that it truly is bricked.

I hope that this is more inclusive for anyone out there, as it was very difficult to find information that wasn't just "hold power and home for 30 secs" and "your battery is dead, replace it".

I hope it helps. I'll update this is anything changes.

Krypt
    Last edited by TheKryptKeeper; 10/30/2013 at 05:30 PM.
    My Results Are In!

From reading the above posts I decided to go ahead and give a quick and dirty on the "normal" process of reviving a touchpad as there are several schools of thought and none of them are exhaustive. In short, I want to mention enough things here, that hopefully people doing google searches like I did will find this.

Feel free to skip sections you understand already.

Button Combo's:
    A small fast list with what I understand to be the effect. I have everything for a minute because some have reported success with longer than 30 secs. All of these should be done while plugged into a charger.
    Power only for 1 min - Clears out small hiccups
    Power and Home for 1 min - Hard reboot and has large success
    Power and volume up and home for 1 min - I guess does Extra rebooting
    Then do all these steps in order again - People have sworn by it
    After that, I would call it and assume that it's the battery.

The battery:
    It seems that "hp touchpad battery not charging" is the number one search and issue with these. The battery relies on it's internal power to start it's "charging circuit" instead of the incoming power from the wall. Therefore when it gets too low it can't start itself up. Solutions are to plug in and out the charger ad infinum to try and trickle charge into it, use an hp touchstone for days, use a lower amp charger like a cell phone or computer connection, ensure that your hp charger plug is screwed in all the way, make sure the wire isn't broken, and finally remove the battery and charge it on a lipo charger.

After doubting this problem myself and trying the button combinations, I went ahead and removed the battery. There are instructions on fixit but I didn't have those tools, so I used a fine flat blade screwdriver, knowing that the clips are going to break anyways, and got it without much difficulty, but that first clip is the scariest. When it is all unclipped the screen will hinge away (still be careful not to damage the ribbons) and I only loosened the two screws by the battery plug, unscrewed the battery, and gently tugged/lifted the motherboard 1mm and it came out no problem.

I then took it to an rc hobby shop. Measuring any of the pins did not work for me and it ended up it needed to be plugged into a charger before it displayed 3.2 volts. However, if you opt to completely remove the motherboard then there are two copper contacts on it by the battery cable plug that will allow you to read it's charge. Left it with the guy for a while and he said he put it up to full. I plugged it in and nothing happened.

Power Button:
    Does it click when you push it? Sometimes it breaks, but if you have it plugged into a computer, just hold power and home and wait to see if your computer gives the sound like when you pull a flash drive out of it, then gives the sound not like when you connect a flash drive, but 3 short low pathetic notes.

At this point if you have a full battery and it still won't come on, then you might want to try to "debrick".

"tp debrick for windows" doesn't exist. However, it was pretty easy to download ubuntu (must be version 12.04) and load it onto a flash drive, then reset my computer, go into setup when it's loading, and load from that flash drive. There are instructions out there for this.

My first error:
    dfu-until not installed
    fastboot not installed
    Aborted.

Second error:
    QDL mode not found
    Aborting.
    Solution: I did several things at once without really knowing which did it. I plugged it into a different port, I held power+home+power up for 30 secs, and I typed lsusb (thats LSUSB uncapitalized) in the command promt and found qualcom, inc .gobi.

Last error:
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.

This one seems to be the death knell for it. "diagnose an hp touchpad" doesn't really pull anything up in google because hp hasn't released any real information about it (I guess). However, this error seems to mean that there is a hardware problem. I pulled it apart one last time and really went over all the boards and every connection and it looks perfect, so I don't know. The last time that the touchpad worked was right before I put it into my back pack and come home from school and put it on a charger. It was in it's case, and there was no rough handling and no water damage. It just failed. I spent several weeks looking up solutions but at this point all signs seem to indicate that it truly is bricked.

I hope that this is more inclusive for anyone out there, as it was very difficult to find information that wasn't just "hold power and home for 30 secs" and "your battery is dead, replace it".

Krypt
    are you sure you used the 64 version, and installed Fastboot protocol CLI tool?

And running it from a USB drive could cause issues.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The creator of the tool, has replied what it does several times, but I will try to answer...
    So what the tpdebrick does:,rebuild the flash, first by using the Qualcomm USB loader, it boots a Linux kernel (bare bones), then once this is done it repairs the flash and updates the A6 chip. once it is done it flashes a bootloader back to the flash, which allows one to doctor the device (it is recommended to use webOS 3.0.0 default as it rebuild's the stock partition sizes).

Then one can update to webOS 3.0.5, once done.
    Thanks!!!
    I was hoping for some Wiki article about "qhsusb_dload" mode and tpdebrick (by the author or from the community). With all the good info here we could create such article now.

I'm trying to understand your explanations and put it my words (please assume I know nothing about TouchPad hardware)
    "What the tpdebrick does":
    A. rebuilding the flash memory:
    A1. By using the Qualcomm USB loader, it boots a Linux kernel (bare bones)
    A2. Then it repairs the flash memory (how ? - I assume by using the new installed Linux kernel)
    A3. Then updates via firmware flash the A6 chip (TI chip that controls the Battery, and a 2nd A6 for Tap-to-Share/TouchStone Electric Circuits)
    B. it flashes a "webOS bootloader" back to the flash memory

< I assume this step B is the last that tpdebrick does - right? >
    < I assume at this step you can recharge the TouchPad and should do that before continuing. >

Then the HP TouchPad is ready to be doctored
    C. doctoring the HP TouchPad
    C1. Do doctor the original webOS 3.0.0 version
    (Part of webOS 3.0.0, during doctoring, validates the flash, partitions, this part is been removed from webOS 3.0.5 it seems)
    C2. Then update to webOS 3.0.5 (login and use HP webos update or use the 3.0.5 doctor)

Please correct or add this sequences as needed.
    What would happen if one of the steps fails. Restart from begin or what?

Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    You saying: The "Sleep of Death" issue is irrelevant because it should have been fixed by disconnecting the battery. is WRONG WRONG WRONG....

As far as the battery being charged or not... even if it is, if the charging unit's chip is corrupted, it won't care, it's simply not recognizing the battery.

The Ubuntu tpdebrick solution is your best bet.
    It this situation "charging unit's chip is corrupted" the same as "qhsusb_dload mode" and this is what people call "Sleep of Death" ? Or what are differences between these?
    And what is a clear indicator to use the tpdebrick tool ?

My Results Are In!

Button Combo's:
    Is "qualcom mode" the same as "qhsusb_dload mode" ?

OH - if so then I may have put my TP into this mode when trying to bring it to life again.

Thanks for the good overview of possible steps to recover a dead TP.
    This might be a good description for a wiki article about the subject.
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 10/31/2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: edited according to John Steffes - THANKS again!!!
    The A6 chip is a TI chip that controls the Battery, and Tap-to-Share/TouchStone Electric Circuits, it is not a QUALCOMM chip, nor is it related to the processor, it is the interface to the battery.

Part of webOS 3.0.0, during doctoring, validates the flash, partitions, this part is been removed from webOS 3.0.5 it seems, so this utility attempts to rebuild like how webOS 3.0.0 would.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/31/2013 at 12:36 PM.
    The A6 chip is a TI chip
    THanks - I updated my above statements.
    I wonder - is such hardware description somewhere documented for the public? Did HP / Palm do?

Do we know why the A6 chip would need an "update" ?
    Is really new firmware installed on that A6 chip.
    Or is this A6 chip just reseted ?

--
    Well - these questions are not as important right here ..
    THanks - I updated my above statements.
    I wonder - is such hardware description somewhere documented for the public? Did HP / Palm do?

Do we know why the A6 chip would need an "update" ?
    Is really new firmware installed on that A6 chip.
    Or is this A6 chip just reseted ?

--
    Well - these questions are not as important right here ..
    If you really want to learn about the A6 chip read up on a tool called Dr. Battery...

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...pad-users.html

He explains what the A6 chip is and what it does and why it sucks...

But each Touchpad has two, one that controls the battery and one that controls the Tap-2-Share/TouchStone...

And yes it really gets updated via firmware flash, not just configuration information.

It needs an update because it's firmware is read/write to the A6 and gets corrupted (again not 100% how).
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/31/2013 at 02:36 PM.
    And what is a clear indicator to use the tpdebrick tool ?
    Without wanting to go in technical terms ('cause it's over my head anyways), everything I've done myself, and have read about appears to always bear the same characteristics.

All button combinations fail, and so does putting in a new/charged battery. Using various chargers of various power also fail.

But that if you plug to a computer and you get an attempt from the computer to load a driver (which fails), which indicates that there's life on the Touchpad's motherboard, but that no power appears to be getting to it.

It's considered the "last ditch" effort, but from claims, it's been very effective and has restored most "dead" Touchpads, from those that simply ended up being left to discharge too much, and such, at long as it's "death" wasn't caused by being dropped, exposed to water or sun, etc..
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    All button combinations fail, and so does putting in a new/charged battery. Using various chargers of various power also fail.
    Sure I tried all that - besides replacing the battery. And I have no plans to open my TP - because I'm confident that my battery was "ok". TP was running ok - seconds before it died - when I manually rebooted it. It might have been hot a bit after sitting on the wireless charger for ever.. It did have some times issues that it indicated "charging batteries" over and over again - with many many notifications for that event.
    But else ...
    My TP was working fine (sitting on a Wireless charger for weeks) and then I wanted to reboot it. But TP never restarted since then.) My TouchPad was running webOS 3.0.5 with few patches - but no Android on it.
    But isn't the "qhsusb_dload mode" a clear indicator that today only the tpdebrick tool can help?
    So I don't need to try anything else if I see the "qhsusb_dload mode" issue?
    But isn't the "qhsusb_dload mode" a clear indicator that today only the tpdebrick tool can help?
    So I don't need to try anything else if I see the "qhsusb_dload mode" issue?
    That is my understanding... never have been in this situation, but once you see the Qualcomm USB download, means the chip can not talk to the A6 chip to power on the right circuits...
    That is my understanding...
    Thanks.
    I would assume that the tpdebrick tool first checks if "Qualcomm USB download" mode is present. If this mode is not present then tpdebrick will just terminate and do nothing - I assume.

Also I wonder in what state the TP data will be after the tpdebrick procedure is completed.
    Will all be the same status as before the brick?
    Is all /media/internal data wiped out or still accessible then?
    Thanks.
    I would assume that the tpdebrick tool first checks if "Qualcomm USB download" mode is present. If this mode is not present then tpdebrick will just terminate and do nothing - I assume.

Also I wonder in what state the TP data will be after the tpdebrick procedure is completed.
    Yes the tpdebrick has fairly good error checking and does look for this mode...
    As it is a unix script it is fully editable and you can see for yourself what it does.

Second, it rebuilds the FLASH partitions, as long as the LVM (that is logical partitions within webOS are ok), it should be ok, again it only fixes the bootloader and A6 firmware, if you touchpad is not bootable after that a doctor would need to be performed to fix the webOS parts... Doctors can wipe partitions, but you would be able to uImage boot it first to copy anything off...
    My Results Are In!

My first error:
    dfu-until not installed
    fastboot not installed
    Aborted.

Second error:
    QDL mode not found
    Aborting.

Last error:
    Writing file tz.mbn ...
    Sending MAGIC...
    Sending secureMode...
    Sending openMulti ...
    Cannot write file tz.mbn
    Aborted.

Krypt
    Great effort so far. There may be one more small thing yet for you to try. Instead of pressing Power+Home+Vol Up before executing TPDeBrick, try holding Power+Home+Vol Down. This worked for at least a couple of people over at RootzWiki who were stuck at the same error as your last one:

TPDebrick v004 - Page 102 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
    Thanks.

NOT that I recommend this to anyone unless you have a VERY good reason and really know what you're doing, but you can purposely "brick" your TP to induce the "Qualcomm USB download" mode by wiping out your /dev/mmcblk0 block device from novaterm.

I did this as part of a successful last resort fix in the thread below:

Doctor 12% and my 32GB TP thinks it only has 16GB of mem

Doing this will wipe out ALL partitions and data, allowing for a complete rebuild from scratch. (You could try just killing the partition containing the "bootie" bootloader to induce the Qualcomm mode, but between running the TP Debrick utility, then the 3.0.0 doctor and the 3.0.5 doctor, your remaining partitions are usually wiped and rebuilt at some point along the way anyway.) In short, don't expect to find any old data intact either way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast